CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Greetings folks!

Afte being so busy with school and work, I can finally tend to my i7-3930k build that was not running properly. I just RMA'd the CPU and am running prime95 blend test with 95% of my avialable ram after turning off all thermal settings and adjusting overclock to a small 4ghz.

The specs:

GA-x79s-ud5-wifi
i7-3930k overclocked to 4ghz.
gtx 480 (will be replacing with gtx 970 or 980 next year)
32gb ram
1 x 512mb ssd for os drive
4 x 2tb for raid
1000w antec psu

my questions are as follows:

1. before I begin the journey, is it better to use mavericks instead of yosemite, given the current status of plugins, drivers, utilities, etc? my research suggest mavericks has more compatibility for all these things on both a real mac and a hackintosh. on the other hand, research suggests that yosmite is more friendly with 4k editing.

2. my next issue, after i decide which os to use, is to figure how to tackle the raid issue. for hardware raid, what are some ideal cards for video editing? also, i notice many of these cards support up to 8 drives but only have two sas connectors on them. how do i connect multiple sata drives to one sas port on a highpoint card?

only latest cards support 4k cluster hds , with sas you plug four drives per cable ; may be it is better to make two raid than one...i do not like it : raid
i have a black magic card that acquires in 4k and have win linux [and may be mac driver , not sure but i think so ] very good and cheap . it needs a dedicated hdmi display...
with quite old western digital 2To 4k connected to a lsi 1068e , i can record 1920x1080 uncompressed : 1 To means 1 hour of video [ or so] i plan to format all with extfat and big cluster size to help speed .
i ll do tests and reports

Hey grandosegood, are you sure you need a hardware RAID solution for your workflow? Is the performance / CPU utilization impact really that great to make a hardware solution worth it?

I'm running 2x 4TB drives as software RAID 0 and Premiere CC runs fine for me editing 10 bit 4k ProRes.

I'd be really interested in seeing the difference between a hardware and software solution for video editing on a modern system.

OK, update. I will want to install mac os x mavericks as i have found out from other editors that it is a bit more stable than 10.10 and should also wait until 10.11 is more mature then switch.

I have also found out that the RocketRAID 2720SGL is a decent card to use. although it does not have an onboard cpu, if your cpu is good enough it should only be a small tax on the cpu. i have a 3930k overclocked to 4ghz, so i should be good.

i get 4 x sata ports per 1 x miniSAS. ideally, i'd have two raid0 setups in mac (2 x 2TB), two raid0 in windows and single disks (jbod) for additional storage and backup of the raid0 setups.

should i instead opt for raid5 by using 4 x 1tb? i know i gain redundancy, which is always good, but how much performance do i loose vs raid0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back