2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Classic
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello my question is to see if an expert on Hackintosh Systems could please give me an advice on how to properly run a RAID 0 Hard Drives Configuration, -Not for Booting-, or as a my OS, this would be only to reproduce Large and Heavy Video Files, and as I used to have in my Old Mac Pro.

I used to have an Old Mac Pro "2006" and on that machine I have this configuration running on the 3 extra bays that this machine had, so when my Hack was ready and working perfect, then I connected this 3 Hard Drives to my Hackintosh and the system recognizes the RAID 0 Config perfectly but, when I connected this 3 Hard Drives to the Physical SATA sockets on the MoBo "-Description on my Signature-" Sockets 2, 3 and 4 Because in 1 is my main Hard Drive, then The RAID 0 appears on the desktop but JUST -apparently- working fine, but the truth is that when I call a quick time of what ever file I have on that RAID 0 Drives, The System starts to fail, like the mouse working fine but nothing else works, everything is like a Freeze except for the mouse, so I have to restart the system, so the question would be:

1 Is there something else I should do

2 or I Should use the RAID Config Option, that the mother board offers me via the BIOS in Integrated Peripherals, and Start a New RAID 0 as if it where for Windows.

3 Which is the right way to do it. Your response will be highly appreciated.

carlosavilajr said:
Hello my question is to see if an expert on Hackintosh Systems could please give me an advice on how to properly run a RAID 0 Hard Drives Configuration, -Not for Booting-, or as a my OS, this would be only to reproduce Large and Heavy Video Files, and as I used to have in my Old Mac Pro.

I used to have an Old Mac Pro "2006" and on that machine I have this configuration running on the 3 extra bays that this machine had, so when my Hack was ready and working perfect, then I connected this 3 Hard Drives to my Hackintosh and the system recognizes the RAID 0 Config perfectly but, when I connected this 3 Hard Drives to the Physical SATA sockets on the MoBo "-Description on my Signature-" Sockets 2, 3 and 4 Because in 1 is my main Hard Drive, then The RAID 0 appears on the desktop but JUST -apparently- working fine, but the truth is that when I call a quick time of what ever file I have on that RAID 0 Drives, The System starts to fail, like the mouse working fine but nothing else works, everything is like a Freeze except for the mouse, so I have to restart the system, so the question would be:

2 or I Should use the RAID Config Option, that the mother board offers me via the BIOS in Integrated Peripherals, and Start a New RAID 0 as if it where for Windows.

OS X doesn't recognize a RAID setup through the motherboard BIOS. Open disk utility and check to see if it recognizes the array. If it does not, you probably need to set it up agaain through disk utility. Do you have a back-up in case something goes wrong?

Going Bald said:
carlosavilajr said:

OS X doesn't recognize a RAID setup through the motherboard BIOS. Open disk utility and check to see if it recognizes the array. If it does not, you probably need to set it up agaain through disk utility. Do you have a back-up in case something goes wrong?

carlosavilajr said:
Going Bald said:
carlosavilajr said:

Thank you for your response but if you let me do one more question this would be which one is the best way to format the disks extended or journaled

I am also looking to raid some drives in the near future, but I am a bit confused about the setup in general. I had every intention of using the raid setup through my BIOS. Am I understanding that OSX needs to have raid configured through software? If that be the case, I imagine it would render those drives unusable to me should I boot the machine into Windows. Any clarification would be great before I make the expenditure since HDDs are still ridiculously priced.

<Special needs> Semi-pro photographer here... I have two RAID arrays in the same 8 HD box. One backs up to the other (Carbon Copy Cloner) and that backs up to the (4 HD) Drobo. (I rotate out the Time Machine Drive on the ProBox (8 HD box) sometimes for all the computers in the house ((2 laptops, two desktops, 2 iPads)). The screenshot is painful and probably not helpful, but it makes sense for my system (Lion Server) Everything is double backed up with three (2 TB) WD USB HDs that I only connect for the occasional triple redundant backup (off site, keep them at work)... A few beers and a few clicks.. you might need that backup! Or click happy wife saying "I swear I didn't do anything, all my pictures are gone!" BTW, I'm a network engineer and the wife is the most demanding/careless user!

B

"Yokyo" Japan
Godzilla homeland

Attachments

• screen capture.tiff
    299.2 KB · Views: 117
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back