Contribute
Register

Question on hardware upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I don't know your partition structure I cannot respond to your question with full clarification.

I'll give you a generic answer :) Time Machine backups everything that is not excluded in it's settings. I have two drives for os x:
1. SSD system drive only
2. HDD with user folder + various data (this does not get affected while formatting the SSD)

When I upgraded from 10.8.5 to 10.9 I made a fresh install of 10.9 and used migration assistant to restore my "system state" to what it was in 10.8.5 Everything worked flawlessly. I booted into 10.9 and all my apps, files and stuff was there. Especially that I had my user folder on a drive that wasn't erased - the HDD with the user folder etc. So it's very easy. The thing I always worry about are my app settings, cache files that are saved on the SSD etc. But as I say - they were all restored from the Time Machine backup to a fresh n' funky 10.9

What I don't get is Adran B ranting about 10.8.5 needed to run Mavericks. You are already on 10.9.1 ...

As I don't kano your partition structure I cannot respond to your question with full clarification.

I'll give you a generic answer :) Time Machine backups everything that is not excluded in it's settings. I have two drives for os x:
1. SSD system drive only
2. HDD with user folder + various data (this does not get affected while formatting the SSD)

When I upgraded from 10.8.5 to 10.9 I made a fresh install of 10.9 and used migration assistant to restore my "system state" to what it was in 10.8.5 Everything worked flawlessly. I booted into 10.9 and all my apps, files and stuff was there. Especially that I had my user folder on a drive that wasn't erased - the HDD with the user folder etc. So it's very easy. The thing I always worry about are my app settings, cache files that are saved on the SSD etc. But as I say - they were all restored from the Time Machine backup to a fresh n' funky 10.9

What I don't get is Adran B ranting about 10.8.5 needed to run Mavericks. You are already on 10.9.1 ...

Hi oswaldm,

My partition structure is similar to your, but a bit more!

Disk #1) 10.9.1 on a SSD,
Disk #2) Mac user data (1TB),
Disk #3) Windows7 partition, Ubuntu partition, CarbonCopy 10.9.1 partition, MountainLion partition, Windows user data partition (1TB)
Disk #4) Full TimeMachine Backup (1TB).

Yes, I have 2 copies of OSX "backup" - one Mavericks & one MountainLion...! In fact, that hard drive can boot (with Chimera) whenever I take out the SSD from the system.

It sounds like I can use UniBeast to flesh install on my SSD with new mobo & i5 CPU, then TimeMachine to restore apps & system state.

All,

Just a quick update!

10.9.1 is successfully running on the new GA-H87-D3H mobo & i5-4570 CPU. I've also managed to use "Migrate Assistant" to restore all apps & system state from TimeMachine. I'll monitor the system for few days for stability.

Next is to tackle the Windows7 & Ubuntu partitions & installations. As I mentioned earlier, they are considered secondary tasks. I'm happy with the upgrade so far:)

All,

Just a quick update!

10.9.1 is successfully running on the new GA-H87-D3H mobo & i5-4570 CPU. I've also managed to use "Migrate Assistant" to restore all apps & system state from TimeMachine. I'll monitor the system for few days for stability.

Excellent news, congratulations. :clap::clap::clap:

Next is to tackle the Windows7 & Ubuntu partitions & installations. As I mentioned earlier, they are considered secondary tasks. I'm happy with the upgrade so far:)

Read through Going Bald's Multi Booting guide if you are not familiar with the required process:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...multibooting-novice-updated-3-12-see-log.html

Adrian B

All,

Just a quick update!

Another update.

I've experienced a problem. Whenever I shutdown the machine, it keeps restarting again. Any clue?

[Fixed]
Thanks to WonkeyDonkey's tip on WOL! shutdown issue has been resolved.

Another update.

I've experienced a problem. Whenever I shutdown the machine, it keeps restarting again. Any clue?

This is symptomatic of wake on lan (WOL) -Try disabling it in your bios and see if it still happens.

All,

A good news to report.

After 10.9.1 was successfully installed on a SSD, I put back the 1T hard drive with Windows7 & Ubuntu partitions.

To my BIG surprise, both OS can be boot up without reinstallation!

1) Ubuntu did not ask for any driver update & recognised i5 CPU & new H87-D3H mobo. Graphic, sound, network are all working! Will monitor further.
2) Window7 booted into std VGA graphic, then detected hardware required new drivers. It automatically downloaded & installed 15 drivers. After drivers were installed & reboot, it lacked Intel HD4600 driver, Apple Keyboard driver and a couple more drivers.
3) I inserted GigaByte driver DVD to install graphic driver. Download Apply Keyboard driver & installed. Everything seems to be working!

In Window7, I still have one device called "SM Bus Controller" which has no driver yet. But the overall system is working!

I end up with a new CPU & mobo upgrade without breaking the Trible Boot configuration. Super happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back