Contribute
Register

[Question] How can I view/edit nvram within Windows?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
Intel i5-9600K
Graphics
Sapphire Radeon 580 8GB Pulse
I'm not certain this is the right place to ask this. If not, please redirect me elsewhere.

I'm dual booting macOS Catalina and Windows 10 on a Gigabyte Z390M Gaming using Clover with native nvram.

In Mac, I can view and edit the nvram using the `nvram` utility. Is there equivalent utility I can use for this functionality when booted into Windows?

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@deaton.dg,

Windoze does not use NVRAM to store system settings and variables like MacOS does ...

Windoze stores everything in the registry so it does not have any baked in methods to access and modify NVRAM like MacOS does. There are some 3rd party utilities that can dump and restore NVRAM in Windoze but they are designed to deal with the BIOS settings saved in NVRAM.

My advice would be to leave NVRAM well alone in Windoze as you could easily screw things up.
The "Points of Interest" on this Windoze NVRAM utility web page is worth a read if you need more info :-

https://www.codeproject.com/articles/38226/nvramrestorer-dumping-and-restoring-bios-settings

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD3 F23g
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX-580
Mac
iMac
Excellent explanation by @jaymonkey to which I just want to add that Windoze's susceptibility to people with malicious intent lies in is it's architecture, the registry or rather call it it's spinal cord. Any small "incision" into that vital element and your machine is compromised and or becomes unusable.
Cheers vir eers. :)

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I just want to add that Windoze's susceptibility to people with malicious intent lies in is it's architecture.

@Henties,

This was one of the main factors for me ditching Windoze many year's ago, it amazes me just how poor Windoze security is and how easily it can be infected and that is still true today. The security enhancements Micro$h!t make with each release are nothing more than band aids.

It's frightening that such a susceptible OS is used in over 80% of the worlds desktop systems.

Cheers
Jay