CPU
i5-3750K
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am planning a build that I can use for video editing. It's a hobby for me so I don't plan anything too fancy but I do want it to work fairly well. I have gone back and forth from the Gigabyte Z77x-UP5 and the Z77x-DS3H motherboards. I thought I had the problem solved earlier but it appears to me that even though the UP5 and for that matter the UD5 list firewire on the boards they won't work for a hack? What I've seen so far on each build is the addon of a Firewire card. So I am to assume the onboard doesn't work which kinda now makes my decision easier and I just get the budget board and slap in an LSI/Agree FW643 firewire card

Long preamble for a question huh?

Here's my question. What video camera are you using? I've read all about the builds for video editing but what of the cameras? This concerns me as I have a Canon GL2 and back when my PowerMac G5 was working (rest it's soul) it would only work on the front firewire port of the computer and not the back ports. Odd but true. This was fine for me as it was easier to access.

So if you gather, my main concern for my build is how well do these addon cards work in capturing the video from my camera (Canon GL2). I know this camera is getting long in the tooth and I'm just about of the opinion not many of you will have it but I wanted to at least ask. Maybe someone has one or has worked with one in your build?

Most of the cameras I edit with are the Canon 5D/7D, RED and Sony 300. I used to edit in FCP 7, but I've switched to Premiere CS6. Unfortunately they are all SD cards and not firewire. I do have a GL1 LOL that I have captured a few things with on my Hackintosh.

I'm currently using a Sabertooth motherboard X79 (firewire 400 only) but I purchased a Firewire 800 card from Microcenter (two 800s and one 400) and all works great with my build. What is your budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back