Intel® UHD Graphics 620
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have been using the Mac14,2 system definition for a while on all my builds, and specifically on my z97/i7-4790k build. Over the holidays, I upgraded my main system to a z270/i7-7700k setup. I initially used the 14,2 system definition which worked great. I was then looking at the other system definitions in Clover Configurator and saw that the 18,3 sys def more closely matched my actual hardware, so I changed to that. After the change, my system felt faster/snappier, so I did a geegbench 4 run, and indeed, the numbers were higher (though not by a large amount).

My question is why would this sys def change make my system faster? Is it that the macOS has optimizations for the newer CPU that it could now use with the corrected sys def? I apologize if this is a noob question - I just want to know a little more of how the sys def works and what it does. I looked for an answer in the forums, and I realize you choose one which best matches your hardware, but all the posts I found about system definitions were concerning which one to choose, but not specifically how/why it affects performance. If there is an existing post/thread with this, please let me know. Thanks!