Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My specs:
Intel core i7 860
DFI Lanparty P55 T3eh9 motherboard
8GB DDR3 Gskill RAM
Intel SSD
Sapphire HD7770 GHz edition 1GB DDR5
Mac OS Sierra (Don't remember the exact version)

I mainly use the Hackintosh for video editing for my small YouTube channel. For other things I boot from windows 10.

My graphics card has died and I am not able to go past Apple logo and windows logo. I was in the middle of a video project when the card stopped working. What are my options now? I want to atleast boot into Mac os and get a back up of my current project. Will a new graphics card like RX5XX work out of the box so that I can atleast get my data off the hard disk?

My specs:
Intel core i7 860
DFI Lanparty P55 T3eh9 motherboard
8GB DDR3 Gskill RAM
Intel SSD
Sapphire HD7770 GHz edition 1GB DDR5
Mac OS Sierra (Don't remember the exact version)

I mainly use the Hackintosh for video editing for my small YouTube channel. For other things I boot from windows 10.

My graphics card has died and I am not able to go past Apple logo and windows logo. I was in the middle of a video project when the card stopped working. What are my options now? I want to at least boot into Mac os and get a back up of my current project. Will a new graphics card like RX5XX work out of the box so that I can atleast get my data off the hard disk?

A new graphics card like the RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580 will only work with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 (and not any older version, not even older versions of Sierra) as 10.12.6 is the first version to include support for them. They also require the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts. Have you updated Sierra to 10.12.6?

If you want to salvage your work, perhaps you can consider a used card with native support, for example a Nvidia GTX 650 or GTX 760.

A new graphics card like the RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580 will only work with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 (and not any older version, not even older versions of Sierra) as 10.12.6 is the first version to include support for them. They also require the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts. Have you updated Sierra to 10.12.6?

If you want to salvage your work, perhaps you can consider a used card with native support, for example a Nvidia GTX 650 or GTX 760.
Thank you so much for your reply Jamesbond007. I was able to get inside and copy the Final cut Project by booting into Safe mode. I also checked my OS version and found that it is 10.12.6. So what should my forward path be? buy a new RX5XX card and see if works? or go for a full upgrade to High Sierra or Mojave since I have a back up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back