Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone. I am going with the CustoMac build's power supply, the Corsair Professional Series 650-Watt, and I am wondering if it will fit in the bottom of the G5. I want to do something similiar to this with the power supply, so it will need to fit flat.

p4040756.jpg

which would then allow me to do this
p4080820.jpg

p4080821.jpg

Here is the link to the amazon page, if you guys need it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LV ... PDKIKX0DER

Thank you!

minihack said:
It's a standard ATX PSU so yes, it'll fit like in the photos....

Thank you very much for the reply, I was not very sure if there are different sizes for PSUs so I was checking first. Btw, I love your mod! Very nice how you made the motherboard tray flush with the back, looks really nice! Great job!

VeganHipster said:
minihack said:
It's a standard ATX PSU so yes, it'll fit like in the photos....
Btw, I love your mod! Very nice how you made the motherboard tray flush with the back, looks really nice! Great job!

:D

In my first g5 mod I did pretty much the same thing as you - here it is with the G5 cover off:

file.php

Though in my case I did not use the ATX style with the top mounted fan as I wanted to keep the airflow strictly front to back, so I used this (unusual) Antec design:

320800.jpg

However, in general, the layout for ATX PSUs are all pretty much the same 86mm high x 150mm x ? The "?" often varies and is usually around 160mm but sometimes smaller (I have seen this dimension down to 125mm on some).

By the way, any PSU with a top fan can usually be adapted to fit under the G5 base plate because the fan is 25mm thick and there is a little more than 60mm of height under there. While many people (me included) take the PCB from an ATX and stick it into the original G5 power case you don't have to have a G5 PSU to mount your PSU there invisibly - you could just mount the PCB under the floor and stick a couple of 60mm quiet fans under there to blow air through front to back - my favourite 60mm fans are these Fractal design numbers:

fd-60.jpg

At 12v you can just about hear them, but at 5v they still push good air and are totally silent.
Put them in there, cover everything nicely with a top plate (make sure it is well supported - you don't want to short the power supply out with it!) and in my opinion you have really good power supply cooling that does not at all impact on the rest of the interior air flow in the case.

Hope this bigger explanation of some of the possibilities helps and good luck with your modding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that really helped me out, thanks! I would just tear out the internals of the new PSU and put them in the G5's casing, but I have never even built a PC before let alone hackintosh or let alone mod a case, haha! But I hope to learn and I have a lot of tools and a lot of ambition. Thanks so much, again!

EDIT: Do you know the height of the G5's psu? I might go checking out PSU that are a little bit lower and just hide it completely, then put two fans in front the psu, and cut a whole above for the top fan.

VeganHipster said:
Do you know the height of the G5's psu? I might go checking out PSU that are a little bit lower and just hide it completely, then put two fans in front the psu, and cut a whole above for the top fan.

All the ATX PSUs will be 85/86mm high. The G5 PSU is about 60mm high (because the two Fans at the front are 60mm and they are full height of the PSU - thats, why basically taking out the top fan of an ATX PSU (fans are generally 25mm thick), makes it fit under the plate.

661-2903.gif

Ok thank you again for the quick reply! I will be doing more research now on other parts of this forum.

I just slapped a regular PSU into the G5 PSU case :D
It's not for the faint of heart but you can make it all fit nicely.

IMG_4086.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

IMG_4977.jpg

IMG_4989.jpg

I would do that if I had more experience with that kind of stuff and if I had a ready supply of power supplies to try this out with hahah! That does look very nice though and keeps the stock look

It is easy. I did that at my G5 case too. The only difference is that I bought 2 silence fans and I replaced the noisy at full speed originals.
They are running at slower speed but they keep the power supply cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back