Contribute
Register

Question about partitioning hard drives before dual-boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU
Intel i5-4690K
Graphics
EVGA NVIDEA GTX 970 SILENT
Hey, everyone.

I'm new to the hackintoshing community, and to building computers, but eager to learn and excited!

Okay so, I purchased both a Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 RPM 3.5" PC Desktop SATA Hard Drive HD103UJ as well as a Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB MZ-75E250B/AM MZ-75E250B SSD 3D Solid State Drive.
I plan on running both windows 10, for gaming, and El Capitan, for Pro Tools + 3D Modeling. I've heard that it's better to install operating systems on a faster, SSD. Should I partition the EVO into two drives, and install both OSX and Windows, and then partition the other drive and use one for data storage for the OSX and the other for Windows storage? Or should I install Mac on the SSD and Windows on a partioned SATA, with the other partioned part available for Mac storage?

I'm new and unsure what method/route I should take.

Here are the technologies involved so far:
WOW! GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H, LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5 4690k Devil's Canyon Quad Core 3.5 GHz Processor CPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC GAMING, Silent Cooling Graphics Card 04G-P4-1972-KR
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Fractal Design Define R4 FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL Black Pearl Silent ATX Mid Tower Case
Sentey Xplus 725w Desktop Power Supply XPP725-HS
LG Electronics 14x Internal BDXL Blu-Ray Burner Writer Rewriter WH14NS40
Apple Wireless Aluminum Bluetooth Mac Compact Keyboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Gen 1) 96kHz USB 2.0 Recording Interface

Which OS is most important to you to boot fast and run fast? Install this one on the SSD. While you can install both on the same drive, it causes some problems when it comes time to update/upgrade either OS - best to install on separate drives. Whether to install on the same drive or on separate drives is a decision only you can make. Either way, there is a guide in the MultiBooting forum you can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back