2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Planning on building a custom Hack, quick question is it better to go for an ATI card or Nvidia.

Parents are in USA at the moment, so I'm planning on getting a few things there i.e.

Motherboard - Gigabyte X58a-ud3r
Processor - i7 930 2.8
Graphics card - Sapphire ATI 5770 1GB

Brother in law, his words not mine "Am I a fan of ATI".

Now i'm confused? Am I better off getting ATI or should I get Nvidia?

If I get Nvidia, then which one, I would like one with similar specs and price to the ATI 5770

Any help will be appreaciated

HW.

I've heard nVidia is the best for Hackintosh. I'm not sure on why, but I'm trying to put together a build also. Very similar to yours.

I'm going for the i7 3.0 ghz

I'm still deciding on my video card too. Either the 5770 or the 5850. I'm reluctant because what I've heard about the chipsets.

nVidia cards have been in macs a lot longer than ATI cards so there tends to be better support for them from what I've noticed. Someone else can correct me on that if they want to.

I like nVidia a lot but I used ATI cards before I made the switch to the mac. I think you pay a slightly higher price tag with ATI cards but their power is pretty awesome for what you pay.

Hey,

Thanks for the replies

HW

still deciding, but might just go for ATI as that is what Apple are using

hw007 said:
Hey,

Thanks for the replies

HW

still deciding, but might just go for ATI as that is what Apple are using

yes this is what apple is using now, but they also used nvidia in the past. don't worry what others think, for hackintosh its better to focus on what cards work, not the fastest etc. there are only about 5-6 cards that will provide no troubles so focus on those. the radeon 5770 is hard to beat at the price. the 9800gt is old, but well supported (and pretty cheap).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back