Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My question is:

If I buy the exact parts of the buyers guide and properly follow the install guide will my system just work?

I have tried to build a hack before but I always ran into issues post install with my old hardware. My hope is that if I buy exactly whats on the list my system will just work.

Thanks for the help!

My question is:

If I buy the exact parts of the buyers guide and properly follow the install guide will my system just work?

I have tried to build a hack before but I always ran into issues post install with my old hardware. My hope is that if I buy exactly whats on the list my system will just work.

Yes, that's been the experience most have had when they buy compatible parts
and follow install guides. Some of the Asrock and MSI boards in the guide though,
are slightly more complicated to get fully working. Always read through User/Golden
builds before buying to see what your chosen hardware may have as potential issues.

I more or less followed the parts list, only deviating for the power supply and the only issue I had was with the usb ports. On the H97m D3H motherboard it seemed my install only wanted to use the 2 ports under the ps2 socket no biggie I just had to remove the mouse when the install froze and it would as it by magic start up again. Though that is just my experience and others may have had different issues, I have not used a video card as of yet and have no idea if audio works or not. In use its been as stable if not more so than the last 3 macs I had.

No1
Other |  i5 4460 |  HD 4600
Hi man, the buyers guide I've never had a problem, I've made 5 builds so far, sold some. I used as reference also the user and golden builds for clarifying some questions I had. By the way begin with Unibeast guide, it'll be much simple for starters.

If a build used 2 video cards and you only use one of the same card does this present a whole set of new conditions to address or is it generally what you could anticipate when reaching steps that are specifically tied to two cards being installed? IOW, outside of obvious differences the use of a single card would not significantly change anything else? Or, does a change like this have the effect of making an tomato an orange rather and just a tomato with one seed instead of two?

If a build used 2 video cards and you only use one of the same card does this present a whole set of new conditions to address or is it generally what you could anticipate when reaching steps that are specifically tied to two cards being installed? IOW, outside of obvious differences the use of a single card would not significantly change anything else? Or, does a change like this have the effect of making an tomato an orange rather and just a tomato with one seed instead of two?

You always want to use two of the exact same card if you'll have two installed at the same
time. If you wanted one Nvidia and one AMD then you'd need to remove the AMD card when using
the Nvidia and vice versa.

You always want to use two of the exact same card if you'll have two installed at the same
time. If you wanted one Nvidia and one AMD then you'd need to remove the AMD card when using
the Nvidia and vice versa.
I worded that post in a convoluted way and I also see several typos.....very sorry.

My question is in regards to adhering to a build with the exception of video card quantity. If the build used two cards and I followed the recipe and directions except only used one video card, what might be the general outcome?

I worded that post in a convoluted way and I also see several typos.....very sorry.

My question is in regards to adhering to a build with the exception of video card quantity. If the build used two cards and I followed the recipe and directions except only used one video card, what might be the general outcome?
You might not be able to connect more than 2 displays depending on make/model/number of ports on the GPU. Otherwise, no effect on the build by decreasing the number of GPU from two to only one.

It would be the same, just that you wouldn't be able to connect as many monitors to the system.
Two cards in a Customac will not run in SLI or Crossfire when your OS is OS X. They will still work
in that regard in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back