CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey, This is a repost from the customization section of the forums. I didn't see this part of the forums at first and I wasn't getting much traffic over in the customization area. Sorry about the double post but hopefully someone over here might have some ideas.

I was wondering if anyone has much experience/knowledge about adding an IR receiver to their rig.

It seems like, from what I could find on the forums, the only options are to use either an old IR receiver from a MBP like this or spend a bit more and order one of these Mira

I currently use XBMC on my MBP but I would like to just start using my Hack Pro (once I get it set up). I'm currently using something called Remote Buddy which basically creates a number of virtual apple remotes which I can then use to add more buttons to my Logitech Harmony remote. It took a while to set up the remote like that so I would like to not have to do that again.

It sounds like the Mira requires you to use their software to run it and I'm worried that it will get in the way of Remote Buddy's functions.

I guess my questions are:
Does anyone use Mira? If so would you know if that would interfere with Remote Buddy?
Does anyone use a Logitech Harmony Remote to control their Hackintosh as a media center? if so what's the setup?
and last, are there any other options for an IR reciver that I'm missing?

I did that mod with the MBP IR receiver and it works awesome with my Harmony One remote. The remote itself is a little odd but overall I really like the setup.

I am using Apple original Alu Remote with Mira, IR Receiver is produced by Chronos, it's a USB MCE receiver (with ugly remote :) ), cost was 11€.
Mira works in free mode - free is limited to 6 apps, I use only 4: XBMC, Audirvana, Amarra, VLC sometimes.

I was just messing around with this stuff and was able to get my hackintosh to work with my Harmony 900, acting as an apple remote, through an old USB Rosswel MCE IR receiver and while running Mira. Now unfortunately Mira only will recognize the six buttons from an apple remote but the harmony 900 can do so much more if I created virtual remotes and somehow had software on the hackintosh that would recognize the signals. Does anyone know if this is possible? It seems I would need Mira to provide the drivers to make the Rosswel IR Receiver recognized by the system but after that is in pace if I could get the system to capture signal sent from the Harmony setup with various virtual remotes then I could control a whole not more.

Hi!

I had a slim imac 27" and it didn't have an ir receiver, so i bought an old imac and taken out the ir receiver, and soldered to an usb cable and it worked perfectly with the slim iMac 27".
I sold my imac to replace it with a more powerful hackintosh, but my ir receiver not working. The system recognise it in system info, but not working.
Any solution?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for my english.

I realise this is an old thread but I'm trying to get a standard USB IR Receiver (I have tried both HP standard MCE and Manta TR-1 models) to work with my Hackintosh build under Yosemite and although OS X detects the receiver fine in System Profiler it doesn't seem to actually let me send any commands to the system. Any ideas if these sort of USB IR Receivers are compatible? Or does it need to be the official Apple IR Receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back