Contribute
Register

Quadro K600 graphics card at Newegg - $39.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
With one card it works out of the box, no changes needed, but when i install the second k600 i get a black screen after the apple logo loader.
Is there any settings i need to be changing for the two cards to work?
Try booting with just two monitors connected to one card. Then when you reach the desktop, connect the other two monitors to the second K600. Does that work ?

If not, the 4 mini DP NVS 510 works with 4 monitors. Only requires one card. Uses the same GK107 GPU.

https://www.newegg.com/hp-nvs-510-quadro/p/2VV-000F-003K9

Last edited:
Try booting with just two monitors connected to one card. Then when you reach the desktop, connect the other two monitors to the second K600. Does that work ?

If not, the 4 mini DP NVS 510 works with 4 monitors. Only requires one card. Uses the same GK107 GPU.

Just noticed this GPU is available on Amazon UK for £179 cheapest.

Typical price gouging. o_O

ust noticed this GPU is available on Amazon UK for £179 cheapest.
Surprising since it's not any good for mining or gaming. It's a workstation Quadro card.

Surprising since it's not any good for mining or gaming. It's a workstation Quadro card.

Yes, I had my hopes up for a minute. Ideal for an itx board. Sadly I'll pass.

Unfortunatelly nothing....
My fault though, it is not a black screen, it is a panic and reboot.
I gave it some shots:
  1. booted as you said. Panic
  2. i transfered the NVme PCIe card to PCIeX8 and installed the 2nd K600 in the X16 spot. Panic
  3. I checked "Inject Nvidia" for the 2nd card via clover options on boot. No monitors connected on this. Booted! (but card was not listed in system report)
  4. I checked "Inject Nvidia" for the 2nd card via clover options on boot. 1 and 2 monitors connected. Panic
I have no past experience with dual GPUs. Seems strange though, my rig is working and updating without any problems for years now. Although i must mention i am still on catalina and clover ...

About the NVS 510
It is not that expensive in Europe. But i am not sure i want to buy a thrd obsolete card ... https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=NVS+510&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=5

My fault though, it is not a black screen, it is a panic and reboot.
Are you using MP 6,1 SMBIOS ? That used dual gfx cards. Was Ivy Bridge E based too. Good match for your Xeon.

Last edited:
Are you using MP 6,1 SMBIOS ? That used dual gfx cards. Was Ivy Bridge E based too. Good match for your Xeon.
Yes i do. The only SMBIOS i used for very long now.

Hi there;

BRAND new member (though LONG time lurker) here.
Sorry to "revive" an old thread (I know that some whine horribly about this, even reviving only a few months "old" thread), but wanted to chime in and THANK trs96 for this K600 info.
I mess with building both Macs (towers, you know, REAL computers!) as well as PCs, and have been recently getting calls for Mojave / Metal support. My friends / clients are NOT gamers or even close to needing bleeding edge.
Most are professionals in audio, music and the like, so they just want powerful machines (and cheap).
Any idea how many pro recording studios are STILL on Snow Leopard or Mavericks?
Because . . . it works! And, newer Apple OSes break, antiquate and obsolete both hardware & software.

OK, preaching to the choir here, I am sure.
So, after reading through this thread, I went and found a bundle (6 or 7?) of the K600 cards and grabbed them all for a little over $100 bucks including tax.
These will mostly go into Mac Pro towers (2010 / 5,1 machines), though I may just try a few in my HP i7 Elite desktops. Never built a Hackie-Tosh yet, too much trouble with the cheap cost of Mac Pro towers around here (NYC area), but I'm now open to playing around with this here very soon.
I am HOPING that the ones that I bought (nvidia Quadro K600 1GB HP) actually all DO have Metal support, otherwise I am jiggered with a bunch of less than useful cards here!
I'm happy to come back and report (I actually DO this, unlike so many other well meaning folk) what my own testing & findings are.

Sorry for the long first post . . . I can get carried away.
Thanks again trs96 (gotta be a pro audio guy!) for you information!

AK
(The Ashokan, or Shokan, is a massive, gorgeous Catskills reservoir that serves NYC with drinking water.)

Sorry to "revive" an old thread (I know that some whine horribly about this, even reviving only a few months "old" thread),
We don't close threads until there are no replies for 1 year so you're well within that timeframe.

Thanks again trs96 (gotta be a pro audio guy!) for you information!
I'm more into home video production than audio. I found that the K600s were fully supported by macOS a few years ago and have used one mostly for newer macOS versions from High Sierra through Big Sur. I've not tested one as far back as Mavericks. I'd like to know which macOS versions you will use them with. I don't believe support goes back any farther than Mt. Lion but I could be wrong as I've not tested old Mac OS X versions with a K600.

I went and found a bundle (6 or 7?) of the K600 cards and grabbed them all for a little over $100 bucks including tax.
I think it's great we can still find low cost macOS compatible Nvidia cards and use them when AMD prices have gone sky high. It keeps old cards like this from becoming e-waste. They will certainly work fine in an audio build and even do 4K/60. Hope you find them useful.

Also see: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-of-desktop-cards-with-native-support.283700/

The above thread has helped many people find an Nvidia card to use with macOS when current AMD cards are either way overpriced or impossible to find these days.

Last edited:
Ohhh, goodness NO . . . I was NOT suggesting that I was planning to use the K600's for ANYTHING that old (Mavericks, etc..).
Why bother? There are already plenty of usable cards around (and already in the machines) for those old OSes. And again, my own target users do NOT need anything fancy for graphics.

My ONLY reason for grabbing the K600 cards was due to your own recommendation / proof that they DO have Metal support, so that I can use these cards with Mojave, etc..

Even High Sierra runs just fine on the stock Mac Pro cards, so there is not even reason to use one of the K600's there either. Only needed by me for the Metal support / Mojave and onward.

I'd love to have an Apple / Mac EFI boot screen, but for $20 bucks per card, I am NOT going to complain. This might just inspire me to build a Metal capable Big Sur Hackie-tosh thingy... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back