Contribute
Register

Quadro K600 graphics card at Newegg - $39.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to have an Apple / Mac EFI boot screen,
Who needs that I boot in Verbose mode every time saves a step if something goes wrong for some reason and I like all the scrolling text...

My ONLY reason for grabbing the K600 cards was due to your own recommendation / proof that they DO have Metal support, so that I can use these cards with Mojave, etc..
Yes, metal support is going to be no problem. Also see my full blown Nvidia Kepler graphics compatibility thread (link in post #49) if you need cards with multi DP outputs. If you do build a hackintosh we'll be happy to help you learn.

1628884360407.png

P. S.
I've already grabbed some GT 710, GT 640, GT 740 cards, which work fine once Mojave boots up.
But even those cards are around $50 or more per card, so when I saw the K600 for $20 bucks?!?!

And, I agree, I am a HUGE fan of recycle / repurpose / re-use rather than to toss good, useful gear into our already brimming landfills. I'm currently surrounded by about 10 - 12 HP's & maybe 10 more Mac Pro / 5,1 machines.

Plus some gorgeous old Dell & HP massive tower style servers with XEON processors AND room for TONS of RAM that still rock hard with pro software (although they may be less than "energy efficient" ? :) ).

Who needs that I boot in Verbose mode every time saves a step if something goes wrong for some reason and I like all the scrolling text...

Oooohhhhh . . see, I am quite techie, but a TOTAL newb when it comes to this stuff!

If you do build a hackintosh we'll be happy to help you learn.

Seems like I truly DID come to The Right Place then!!!

Just checked Newegg and it looks like the price came down to $36 recently. Modified the thread title, to reflect that.
Amazon prices start at $60 and go up from there.

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 3.17.32 PM.png

OK, so I just NOW got my shipment of the Quadro K600 cards!
Got 7 cards shipped for about $120 bucks, including tax.

CONFIRMED (of course) that they do indeed fully support Metal / Mojave (Catalina? Big Sur?).
No Apple logo screen, as known, but my Mojave SSD boots from chime to desktop in about 20 seconds!

Since I am running a Mac Pro tower here, I'm going to add this for anyone (like myself) who arrives here.
Easy, proper install of Mojave WITH the proper firmware update on a Mac Pro 4,1 or 5,1 goes like this;

I used an existing High Sierra install / drive, and then downloaded Mojave with a Metal capable card in the tower.
My intent is to install Mojave on a separate empty drive in the Mac Pro, which makes this super easy.

Upon starting the Mojave install from WITHIN High Sierra, you'll get the message regarding a Firmware update required.
At that point, you will (as per instructions there) shut down the Mac Pro and then restart WHILE holding down the power button.

You will see NO boot screen, of course, but CONTINUE to hold in the power button. You will hear the chime, then a low tone, and the power button will begin flashing.
CONTINUE HOLDING THE POWER BUTTON. If your DVD-ROM drive ejects, then, at that point you can finally release the power button.

Your Mac Pro will re-start itself after the firmware update and you will now be able to install Mojave (again, while in High Sierra) to the desired drive.
I know that there are other ways to install Mojave alone, but I prefer not to try doing this "blind" with no boot screen. Again, this is for Mac Pro owners.

THANKS again to trs96 for this GREAT informative post regarding the Quadro K600 Metal support!

P.S. Even though I mention installing Mojave / firmware upgrade on a Mac Pro 4,1 . . . the 4,1 firmware must FIRST be upgraded to 5,1 firmware. Plenty of instructions for this elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back