Contribute
Register

Quadro K600 graphics card at Newegg - $39.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you able the play this video with VLC on the K600?
Now you know it cannot. 1.4GB 4k UHD HEVC 10bit mkv video? That's not the point of this machine, and not the point of this graphics card. Surely that video isn't the metric for ALL computer users!
I don't even own a 4K tv. That little computer is closer is the perfect desktop for someone who uses facebook, as shaveblog pointed out, maybe reads email, looks up recipes, watches YouTube, Hulu or Netflix blah blah.
I still use my 2007 iMac 24" for those things... The world is full of a wide range of users. :)

Just out of curiousity, I tried that video on my 16GB 9010 with i7-3770 and RX 570 4GB. I doesn't play there either... what does it take then?

Last edited:
what does it take then?

For IGPU, Kaby Lake.

Not sure what is the lowest dGPU that can do it, but I know RX 560 can play it.

Try disabling headless IGPU on your i7-3770 and use a system definition that doesn't have IGPU. The RX 570 should be able to play it since my RX 560 can.

The video stuttered for a sec or two when I clicked on iStat Menus but otherwise it was smooth. This stutter doesn't happen if I don't click on iStat Menus. My RX 560 is a PowerColor RX 560 4GB (Baffin model). Got it about a year ago from eBay for $70.

Last edited:
After struggling for a bit with HD 630 graphics bought this. Going to run Catalina and will stay in this OS few years if Apple is going to drop support for the card. Built few large ATX machines but now days I prefer to have the HP Elite Desks with Mac supported graphics cards. In my most powerful Elite desk I use a WX 4100 which is expensive but really a hidden gem.

@trs96 thanks for making these old machines work. Definitely help lot of people who doesn't want powerful machines.

Can a 2018 mac mini play it?

I don't have a 2018 Mac mini, but I don't see why it wouldn't be able to. The UHD 630 has hardware HEVC encode/decode.

@trs96 Installed the K600 to test with my Hackintosh which has WX 4100 and results were not good. Graphics is shuttering and laggy. Alfred's dark theme got messed up (looked red all over), have to switch to classic theme. Have you tested this graphics card on any machine?

Have you tested this graphics card on any machine?
Yes, I would never recommend it to anyone if I hadn't used it myself. It has worked in all the Ivy Br. and Haswell based Dell and HP machines I've written guides for. OOB compatible and with QE/CI working. Most people use them with CPUs that have unsupported Intel HD2500 or HD4400 graphics. Not many use them with Coffee Lake systems because the graphics really don't perform better than the Intel integrated HD530 or 630.
Graphics is shuttering and laggy.
What are you trying to do when this happens ?

Start a support thread for yourself in Graphics. Also state which version of macOS you are on. First you may want to install Windows to test and rule out potential hardware problems with your card. Test different DP cables too. Sometimes the cable is the culprit but most never think of that.

Last edited:
Mobo: Maximus II Formula P45
CPU: Intel Q9650
RAM: DDR2 6 Gb

GPU: K2000, K4000 or K4200??

I need to plug the iMac 5K monitor and I will use the PC for soft video editing (Premiere Pro - FCPx) and YouTube.
I would like to install Catalina.

I need to plug the iMac 5K monitor and I will use the PC for soft video editing
What year is your iMac ?

You can view the desktop of your Mac on the display of some iMac models using Target Display Mode. In some cases, you can also use Target Display Mode to play the sound from your Mac (called the primary Mac) on the speakers of the external iMac.

Note: Target Display Mode isn’t supported on iMac models with Retina display. Only iMac (27-inch, Late 2009), iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010), and iMac (Mid 2011 to Mid 2014) support Target Display Mode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back