Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi

I hope I am posting this in the correct place.

I have a optiplex i5 6600 running 11.6.1 with OC0.7.5 on Smbios 17,1 but cannot get the K2000 to work. I believe it should work out of the box.

The machines goes through OC and boots to a black screen with the mouse cursor, is there any thing I need to change in the config?

I have managed to boot with the GT710 and when I check in the about this mac I can see it has found the card:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Quadro K2000

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 2 GB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0ffe

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: VBIOS 80.07.c7.00.03

Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 1

Any suggestions on what else I can check please.

The card works fine in the machine when I use Windows.

Thank you

The Quadro K2000 should work in any version of macOS from Mountain Lion 10.8 up to and including the final release of Big Sur 11.6.1, using the native (Apple provided) drivers. The Kepler drivers were dropped from Monterey as part of the Beta release/testing. The Quadro card should use the same drivers in macOS as your GT 710 card.

Assumptions:
  • You are using Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext.
  • That you have not created any custom SSDT's or added any other 'fixes' to your OC setup for the GT 710 or the Quadro card.

When testing a Quadro K4200 I found that WhateverGreen.kext didn't play well with the Nvidia Workstation card. The Quadro card worked better when WhateverGreen.kext wasn't present or was disabled in the config.plist, this was on a HP Server Skylake system.

Hi @Edhawk,

Thank you for replying.

I can confirm I am using Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext, and as far as I know i have not added anything custom for the GT710 to work in either the config or a SSDT.

I will try out without the WhateverGreen.kext to see how it goes, however as it is not natively supported in Monterey, may be I need to look for another GPU. The problem I have is that the power supply on the dell is very low powered 240w, so not sure if there are any other low powered GPU's that would work OOB on Monterey that I should look for.

Thank you

Hi @Edhawk,

Thank you for replying.

I can confirm I am using Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext, and as far as I know i have not added anything custom for the GT710 to work in either the config or a SSDT.

I will try out without the WhateverGreen.kext to see how it goes, however as it is not natively supported in Monterey, may be I need to look for another GPU. The problem I have is that the power supply on the dell is very low powered 240w, so not sure if there are any other low powered GPU's that would work OOB on Monterey that I should look for.

Thank you

Hi there.

@Edhawk is the expert here, but I would just add, given your last paragraph, keep working to get the K2000 working, you probably will. Then, Google a developer called Chris1111 and Nvidia driver patching. He (or she) has created a system to patch the Nvidia drivers so that Kepler powered Nvidia cards can still be used in Monterey. Don't spend unnecessary money quite yet!:thumbup:

Hi there.

@Edhawk is the expert here, but I would just add, given your last paragraph, keep working to get the K2000 working, you probably will. Then, Google a developer called Chris1111 and Nvidia driver patching. He (or she) has created a system to patch the Nvidia drivers so that Kepler powered Nvidia cards can still be used in Monterey. Don't spend unnecessary money quite yet!:thumbup:
Thank you, yes just seen another post re the patch from chris111.

The Quadro K2000 has a TPD of 51W, it doesn't require an external power cable/connection. As the PCIe slot provides up to 75W it gets all the power it needs directly from the PCIe connector. Nvidia recommend a minimum 250W PSU is used with this dGPU. So I don't think the PSU will be the issue.

How are you connecting the Quadro K2000 to the display, DisplayPort or DVI? Are you using an Adapter, i.e. DP to HDMI or DVI to VGA?

The Quadro K2000 has a TPD of 51W, it doesn't require an external power cable/connection. As the PCIe slot provides up to 75W it gets all the power it needs directly from the PCIe connector. Nvidia recommend a minimum 250W PSU is used with this dGPU. So I don't think the PSU will be the issue.

How are you connecting the Quadro K2000 to the display, DisplayPort or DVI? Are you using an Adapter, i.e. DP to HDMI or DVI to VGA?
One connection is DVI to DVI, and the second one is DVI to HDMI which is then plugged into an HDMI to DP.

The Nvidia Quadro K2000 has 1 x DVI and 2 x DisplayPort connectors. So how are you using two DVI connectors? Here is a link to the TechPowerUp Spec page for the Quadro K2000 - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/quadro-k2000.c1838

Surely you should be using one connection DVI to DVI. The other being DP to DP, i.e. with no adapters required. Or better yet connect both screens with DP to DP cables. That is how I use my Quadro K4200 to run my dual screen setup.

I assume the DVI to DVI cable connected Display works OK, when used on its own. Have you tried using it on its own with the K2000?

Which DVI to HDMI and HDMI to DP adapters are you using? Forget that, why are you using them?

I have seen and used mDP to HDMI and DP to HDMI adapters, and these need to be 'Active' adapters or cables to work in macOS. But I have never seen or used an adapter that worked HDMI to DP in macOS. Are you sure your issue isn't the HDMI to DP adapter?

When possible I would always recommend against using a display converter/adapter as they are simply flaky in macOS and easily damaged just with normal usage, i.e. plugging them in and unplugging them repeatedly can cause the cables/adapters to not work. Running two adapters in series is asking for issues.

Morning,

The montiors only have DVI and VGA so I use a DVI to HDMI cable to use the second monitor with the GT710.

I understand you point on using adapters but even when I just use the DVI to DVI cable with the k2000 I have the same issue with a black screen and mouse cursor. And when both monitor as connected, I have the same black screen but can move the mouse cursor across both screens.

Thank you

Morning,

The montiors only have DVI and VGA so I use a DVI to HDMI cable to use the second monitor with the GT710.

I understand you point on using adapters but even when I just use the DVI to DVI cable with the k2000 I have the same issue with a black screen and mouse cursor. And when both monitor as connected, I have the same black screen but can move the mouse cursor across both screens.

Thank you

Hi there.

Curious problem. How did you download macOS in the first place? Do you have a real Mac to use?

I think another confusion for us is your K2000 port layout. Generally they are like this:

ports.jpg

... so how are you connecting the second monitor? We understand one is via a DVI to HDMI cable, but what about the DisplayPort connection?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back