Lenovo ThinkPad W520
CPU
i7-2760QM
Graphics
HD 3000 (disabled) + Quadro 1000M
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello. I own a Lenovo ThinkPad W520, however, I can’t figure out what’s going on with the GPU. I’m suspecting it’s a framebuffer issue but I don’t know what kext it uses nor how to change framebuffer values. As you can see in the video, there’s definitely graphics acceleration, it’s just artifacting.

If anyone has an idea what going on, any help would be appreciated.

I can’t upload the video here because it’s too large, so here’s a link to it on my personal server:

https://cloud-jamee.ddns.net/nextcloud/index.php/s/FmZCttjLzsSZeNz

Specs:

Model: Lenovo ThinkPad W520
CPU: Intel Core i7-2760QM 2.4GHz 4C/8T
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHz (4x4GB)
GPU #1: Intel HD 3000 (disabled in BIOS, dGPU set as primary)
GPU #2: Nvidia Quadro 1000M 2GB DDR3.
SSD: 120GB OCZ Agility
HDD: 500GB Seagate 7200rpm.
WiFi: BCM943224HM8L (BIOS nodded with unlocked advanced menu and WiFi whitelist removed)

Thanks!

Hello. I own a Lenovo ThinkPad W520, however, I can’t figure out what’s going on with the GPU. I’m suspecting it’s a framebuffer issue but I don’t know what kext it uses nor how to change framebuffer values. As you can see in the video, there’s definitely graphics acceleration, it’s just artifacting.

If anyone has an idea what going on, any help would be appreciated.

I can’t upload the video here because it’s too large, so here’s a link to it on my personal server:

https://cloud-jamee.ddns.net/nextcloud/index.php/s/FmZCttjLzsSZeNz

Specs:

Model: Lenovo ThinkPad W520
CPU: Intel Core i7-2760QM 2.4GHz 4C/8T
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHz (4x4GB)
GPU #1: Intel HD 3000 (disabled in BIOS, dGPU set as primary)
GPU #2: Nvidia Quadro 1000M 2GB DDR3.
SSD: 120GB OCZ Agility
HDD: 500GB Seagate 7200rpm.
WiFi: BCM943224HM8L (BIOS nodded with unlocked advanced menu and WiFi whitelist removed)

Thanks!

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Attachments

• debug_18484.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 163
Hello, and thanks for replying. It skipped my mind to do that. I've used the script that automatically dumps all info for me.

Attached zip below.

The ioreg shows QE/CI not implemented (Nvidia drivers are not loading).
Maybe you wanted to use config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Nvidia=true, not Inject/Intel=true?

Note: Your profile seems to be inaccurate.

The ioreg shows QE/CI not implemented (Nvidia drivers are not loading).
Maybe you wanted to use config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Nvidia=true, not Inject/Intel=true?

Note: Your profile seems to be inaccurate.

The problem is I can't do anything with graphics acceleration enabled because I can't see what I'm doing. It artifacts so much that it's impossible to use. I had to use nv_disable=1 just so I could use it.

I will change my profile information in a moment, the laptop specifications on my profile was my last hackintosh.

Thankfully, the script is in the downloads folder so I'll enable graphics acceleration and open a Terminal window and run the script.

The problem is I can't do anything with graphics acceleration enabled because I can't see what I'm doing. It artifacts so much that it's impossible to use. I had to use nv_disable=1 just so I could use it.

I will change my profile information in a moment, the laptop specifications on my profile was my last hackintosh.

Thankfully, the script is in the downloads folder so I'll enable graphics acceleration and open a Terminal window and run the script.

Use remote desktop to connect to your system.. that way you can collect files without nv_disable=1.
"problem reporting" files that don't represent the problem scenario are not useful.

Use remote desktop to connect to your system.. that way you can collect files without nv_disable=1.
"problem reporting" files that don't represent the problem scenario are not useful.

Will do.

Also, just as a note. I did once have it booting using the MBP 18,3 but even then it has the same issues. It also stopped working so I reinstalled using iMac 14,2 for the time being until I can hopefully get graphics working properly. Even in the video, graphics acceleration is working, and that was with the iMac 14,2 SMBIOS.

Will start re-collecting data now.

Will start re-collecting data now.

Don't forget to press F4 and F2. Last set of files... you forgot (no ACPI/origin/*, no misc/preboot.log).

But it seems ACPI not patched anyway, CPU PM not implemented either...

Note also:
Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Don't forget to press F4 and F2. Last set of files... you forgot (no ACPI/origin/*, no misc/preboot.log).

But it seems ACPI not patched anyway, CPU PM not implemented either...

Note also:
Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

It wasn't easy. The script failed a few times (not too sure why) but it got there eventually. Unfortunately, I tried a few remote software but it resulted in a black screen with the cursor. But I finally got it with graphics acceleration. Zip attached below.

Also, it's a new install and haven't gotten around to patching the DSDT or anything yet. Before any of that, I'd prefer to get the graphics working first.

Attachments

• debug_22860.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 170
It wasn't easy. The script failed a few times (not too sure why) but it got there eventually. Unfortunately, I tried a few remote software but it resulted in a black screen with the cursor. But I finally got it with graphics acceleration. Zip attached below.

Also, it's a new install and haven't gotten around to patching the DSDT or anything yet. Before any of that, I'd prefer to get the graphics working first.

If you look in your ioreg, you'll see multiple 'GPURestartReport' nodes (these objects were active, then destroyed, while you were running IORegistryExplorer).

This probably indicates some sort of crash in the Nvidia drivers.

But...
Your kextcache output still proves kexts are not installed correctly.

And your ioreg still shows CPU PM not implemented.
These are basic things you should fix first (including basic patches to DSDT, such as "OS Check Fix").

Note: No reason to drop MATS. You should use config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes/FixHeaders=true instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back