Graphics
EVGA GTX680 FTW
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Can i use quad channel ram instead of the recommended dual channel 16GB Corsair ?
And can i use any DDR3 ram (F.ex.: Overclocked to 2133Mhz)

Thank you in advance ;)

Can i use quad channel ram instead of the recommended dual channel 16GB Corsair ?
And can i use any DDR3 ram (F.ex.: Overclocked to 2133Mhz)

Thank you in advance ;)

If you use a Z77 board, a quad channel will work, but two dual channel kits will be a bit faster because they match the architecture of the board. You can use any DDR3 RAM, by default the max is 1600 so most people get that. It isn't that necessary to overclock ram.

If you use a Z77 board, a quad channel will work, but two dual channel kits will be a bit faster because they match the architecture of the board.
Wha? If the timings are the same, two dual-channel kits will be the same speed as a quad-channel kit in a Z77 (dual-channel) system. All the quad-channel kit has going for it is the manufacturer telling you that they all came from the same batch in the factory and have exactly (within a certain tolerance) the same timings.

Or did I miss something?

Wha? If the timings are the same, two dual-channel kits will be the same speed as a quad-channel kit in a Z77 (dual-channel) system. All the quad-channel kit has going for it is the manufacturer telling you that they all came from the same batch in the factory and have exactly (within a certain tolerance) the same timings.

Or did I miss something?

Nope, I think you are right...I was just going of previous assumptions. In any case, a quad channel will perform the same way as two dual channel kits in a Z77. Two dual channel kits cost less than one quad channel(even if its just 99C =)).

Dual channel will work.

Ok thank you :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back