Contribute
Register

QQAT - the Quick Question Answer Thread for PowerMac G5 Hacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a good way to attach 2x120mm or 2x96mm fans in the front of the G5 case?

I've just started my G5 mod and I've ordered a backplate and motherboard tray from laserhive.
What I am going to do is use a corsiar H80i cooler, attached to the back side of the case, and 2x120 or 96mm fans in the front of the case, also use the original housing for PSU.
Ive completely removed the top shelf, I will probably put in the HDD cage at the top.

I've found ideas of how to do most of this, but the fans in the front of the case still haunts me.
Does anyone have any tips?

Is there a good way to attach 2x120mm or 2x96mm fans in the front of the G5 case?

I've just started my G5 mod and I've ordered a backplate and motherboard tray from laserhive.
Does anyone have any tips?

You should have ordered his 2x120mm fan bracket at the same time.

You should have ordered his 2x120mm fan bracket at the same time.

I have not yet ordered my parts from him as I am finding the best way to attach 2x120mm fans in the front, the way he does it sure is good, but I would like to avoid cutting the bottom shelf.

So if there's any other way to do it, I'd appreciate it.

I have not yet ordered my parts from him as I am finding the best way to attach 2x120mm fans in the front, the way he does it sure is good, but I would like to avoid cutting the bottom shelf.

So if there's any other way to do it, I'd appreciate it.

This Might sound a little silly but your should look into using velcro... I have been using it for months now without any issues. One thing i would recommend doing if you do plan on putting fans in the front use dust filters trust me! I also recommend a really strong glue as well for extra hold with the velcro

Regards.
Rickyreall

Gee, didn't thought about that, but that's an excellent idea.. Velcro is super strong and it will probably hold the fans real good.
and as you say, dust filter is a good option. I am looking to get a dust filter that will cover the whole inside of the front, I am guessing it won't be that hard to find, harder to get it tight though.

But with Velcro, guessing that I should put some in the corners of the fans and attach them to the front?

Gee, didn't thought about that, but that's an excellent idea.. Velcro is super strong and it will probably hold the fans real good.
and as you say, dust filter is a good option. I am looking to get a dust filter that will cover the whole inside of the front, I am guessing it won't be that hard to find, harder to get it tight though.

But with Velcro, guessing that I should put some in the corners of the fans and attach them to the front?

I wouldn't and won't use velcro in my build. Its not for me. I will be Finding a solution to my fans later down the road in my build.

I wouldn't and won't use velcro in my build. Its not for me. I will be Finding a solution to my fans later down the road in my build.

Each to their own I guess.
I've ordered the front fan thingy from laserhive now, it wasn't that expensive and I rather have it and test than find out later that I need it.

Thanks for sharing your opinion : )

Alright guys; I'm going for a solder-free build, and I already both looked in and taken apart my ATX PSU's housing and looked in depth, and I can't get the internals out without a de-solder. So, I'm stuck with either cutting the existing shell to the right height to fit in the G5 PSU, or mount the shell inside the case fully intact. Since I broke the warranty sticker; I may just cut the ATX shell and call it a day.

But; before permanently disfiguring the shell, I've read about all kinds of mods here involving Velcro-ing the power supply to the case. Does this cause an issue with grounding? With ATX, the ground wire is attached to the PSU shell which is then attached to the system case with screws, giving a path to ground. It seems with Velcro, you're isolating your power delivering system, only letting electricity pass through your sensitive electronics.

Alright guys; I'm going for a solder-free build, and I already both looked in and taken apart my ATX PSU's housing and looked in depth, and I can't get the internals out without a de-solder. So, I'm stuck with either cutting the existing shell to the right height to fit in the G5 PSU, or mount the shell inside the case fully intact. Since I broke the warranty sticker; I may just cut the ATX shell and call it a day.

But; before permanently disfiguring the shell, I've read about all kinds of mods here involving Velcro-ing the power supply to the case. Does this cause an issue with grounding? With ATX, the ground wire is attached to the PSU shell which is then attached to the system case with screws, giving a path to ground. It seems with Velcro, you're isolating your power delivering system, only letting electricity pass through your sensitive electronics.

I would't use velcro. I only used velcro with my fans on the front Panel. Two reasons I used it One it keeps the fans from rattling and two its easy too take apart and clean. I would Drill holes throw both your PSU bottom plate and your gutted g5 power supply and use hardware to screw them together. If you want too look at an example check out my signature tuf-iest love g5 page 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back