Contribute
Register

QQAT - the Quick Question Answer Thread for PowerMac G5 Hacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 30cm maybe a little short, if it is a bit longer means you route it around things as needed, any extra length can be hidden under the MB anyway. Is there a reason to use a different power switch, the apple one is quite suitable and looks original.

I am getting rid of the front panel i/o. The firewire port annoys me as I have never used it, nor ever will.
So Im looking at simply getting a USB3 to motherboard cables and atach it to the little openings on the inside of the case. This method requires a dedicated G5 button as the original was attached to the G5 i/o.

Thanks for the tip, ill just get a vandal switch then. Im still curious about the best size to get close to the original G5 hole.

Be sure to get a normally off / momentarily connected switch vs a click on / click off style.

Thank you, just one more question. Bit of a random one regarding the power button. I still have the G5 button and all. Lets say I cut the wires off the connector ( that attaches to the i/o front motherboard) and rewire it to a cable that connects to the motherboard to supply the LED and power on/off. It should, in theory work right?

Ideally that would be the perfect option... instead of mucking bout with new power buttons

Thank you, just one more question. Bit of a random one regarding the power button. I still have the G5 button and all. Lets say I cut the wires off the connector ( that attaches to the i/o front motherboard) and rewire it to a cable that connects to the motherboard to supply the LED and power on/off. It should, in theory work right?

Ideally that would be the perfect option... instead of mucking bout with new power buttons

Yes you can extend the three wires from the original power switch to reach the motherboard front panel header. Shown here is where I have done just that.
power1.jpg

power2.jpg

At the switch, the center wire is the "common or ground" and here is the white wire.

Good modding,
neil

have a read of this

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-...power-button-without-front-logic-panel-3.html

Thanks very much for all your help.

Im now ready to wire it up but Im stuck on how to go about it. I read the link, but the ground/negative terminology confuses me.
AFAIK they are different.

Im guessing its a matter of simply two reds (+) on the outside of the button and the two blacks (-) joined to the middle one.

Thanks very much for all your help.

Im now ready to wire it up but Im stuck on how to go about it. I read the link, but the ground/negative terminology confuses me.
AFAIK they are different.

Im guessing its a matter of simply two reds (+) on the outside of the button and the two blacks (-) joined to the middle one.
ground and negative (in this context) mean the Same thing, I found another post that descibes how to do it.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-...e-mod-some-useful-resources-2.html#post468633

Anyone know of a guide to wire up the G5 front panel for motherboards without Firewire? My Ga-Z77X-UP7 does not have an internal Firewire connector and I don't want to buy a card because I have no use for Firewire.

Thanks! Jeffinslaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back