Intel HD 3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
is it possible to set custom brightness levels on our laptop under OS X?
Currently the lowest brightness level is equivalent to around 40% under Windows, which is too much and it hurts your eyes at night. (I am aware of the trick with putting display to sleep with a hot corner.)
If it is possible, could you please post how to do it?
Thanks in advance,
František Nesveda

Also, I tried the fn + option + shift + f2 / f3 to adjust brightness in quarter steps and it still doesn't lower it under the current minimal level.

It would be awesome if someone figure it out - It is almost not possible to use it at night...

try installing f.lux - it helped me a lot..

stereopsis.com/flux/

Wow, Shady is really cool! And it's open source, so maybe some developer over here, can be able to make it work with fn+f2 and fn+f3, so it could behave almost like native brightness control :).

Can decrease brightness by Shady increase Battery Life?

Can decrease brightness by Shady increase Battery Life?

I doubt it, but maybe. Shady works not by adjusting the physical brightness of the display. It works by creating a transparent window over the top of all other windows. It then changes the windows opaqueness to, in effect, dim the display. So if the laptop uses less power when darker colors are displayed on screen, then Shady would have the same effect. And probably this alpha blend operation happening on every change might consume extra GPU processing (and thus power). Not sure what the net result might be...

Ok, i spent sometime today looking for a way to change how OS X changes brightness, Sadly i am not so good with those DSDT's and could not figure out what to do. Also, maybe if we unlocked the lower settings our batteries would be better, With the lowest level (backlight still on tho) i get 2:20 battery time, with backlight off i get more then 3 hours, so, if we got the really low settings going, we would also increase battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back