Contribute
Register

Pulsing Power LED while sleeping using attiny85 microcontroller and Arduino IDE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z490m pro-4
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
Vega 64 (flashed Vega 56)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just added a nice touch to my Mac Pro Case. I used and Arduino, and eventually scaled it down to a bare attiny85 to make the white power LED pulse while the machine is sleeping. It gets wired to the power LED pin on the motherboard, which lets the controller know the machine is running, and it gets wired to the 12v supply of one of the fans, which on my motherboard, and I assume others as well, goes dead when the machine goes to sleep. The signal goes through an optocoupler to change it to a tolerable signal for the microcontroller. Lastly, it gets wired to the LED, and gets 5v power and ground. I took it from one of the USB headers, but you could take it straight from the power supply if you want. I'm going to post the code and EAGLE files on my GitHub, so stay tuned if this sounds interesting to you.

042E9A36-4362-42F2-9027-9C224432686C_1_105_c.jpeg
FDF0861B-3495-44AB-BA20-EBA39726282F_1_105_c.jpeg

ill post a video once I figure that out, but you've all seen a real mac do this. It's the same.

Hi there. This looks really nice. Thinking about doing the same for a Quicksilver Hack.

Did you ever post the source to GitHub?

If I'm following, this approach also keeps the LED on during the powered on state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back