Contribute
Register

Pulling trigger on high end build, need an EXPERT - z270x, i7-7700k, gtx 1070(?), M.2 NVME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
New here, but have been doing exhaustive research the last several weeks. I'm finally ready to build a high end hackintosh for my resource intensive audio/video work. Here's a list I've compiled based off the Buyer's Guide for August (custo-mac pro), and my own research. I have questions for some of the gear, looking for help or a point in the right direction.

On August Guide list:
Core i7-7700K
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
or ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO - What’s the difference? I'd prefer the Asus as its got better connectivity options, but read that Gigabyte is easier to use. Definitely would like usb3/TB3 connections.
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (32GB -16x2) - I'm assuming it will be easy to add 32GB on in a few months?
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW 8GB - My budget for GPU is around $600, looking for 8GB. Any other opinions/options?
Corsair RM 650x - or higher?
Corsair H60 (Water) - Why not the dual fan H100i/H115i?
Fenvi FV-T919 Desktop Wifi Card

Off list:
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 -
Still not sure why the M.2 hard drives aren't listed, since they are faster? Am I missing something about slots/compatability?
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Computer Case - Will I need something bigger or will this work? All I’m looking for in a case is minimalism, no need for bells and whistles.

Aside from the graphics card, I'm looking to get the most advanced gear I can. Budget isn't a huge concern, as I can buy everything but the graphics card then buy that in a month if I need to, using the integrated graphics, right? Looking to keep it ~$2.5k.

After being a lifetime mac user, I'd finally had enough with their hardware. This is my first build, so forgive me if I'm asking basic questions . I'm an expert googler but some of these things are new to me and I just can't wait any longer!

Thanks in advance!

New here, but have been doing exhaustive research the last several weeks. I'm finally ready to build a high end hackintosh for my resource intensive audio/video work. Here's a list I've compiled based off the Buyer's Guide for August (custo-mac pro), and my own research. I have questions for some of the gear, looking for help or a point in the right direction.

On August Guide list:
Core i7-7700K
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
or ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO - What’s the difference? I'd prefer the Asus as its got better connectivity options, but read that Gigabyte is easier to use. Definitely would like usb3/TB3 connections.

They're both in the Buyer's Guide, therefore both should be equally easy to build out.

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (32GB -16x2) -
I'm assuming it will be easy to add 32GB on in a few months?

For best results, check to see that the exact RAM you're buying is on the manufacturer's compatibility list for your motherboard. And be sure to install in matched pairs (as you're doing). Yes, the addition of more RAM is generally one of the easiest upgrades you can do to a PC.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW 8GB -
My budget for GPU is around $600, looking for 8GB. Any other opinions/options?

Any particular reason you're looking at a GTX 1070 instead of a GTX 1080? There are plenty of 8GB GTX 1080's available within your budget: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%20601201888%20600494828&LeftPriceRange=0%20600

Corsair RM 650x -
or higher?

The RM 650x should be plenty.

Corsair H60 (Water) -
Why not the dual fan H100i/H115i?

I use a dual-fan Corsair water cooler (I forget the model number) - the important thing to consider is where there is to mount it in your case.

Fenvi FV-T919 Desktop Wifi Card
Still not sure why the M.2 hard drives aren't listed, since they are faster? Am I missing something about slots/compatability?

Because third party NVMe drives still take some extra effort to get working in a Hackintosh. It's possible that may change in the future, but it's the reality for now.

Will I need something bigger or will this work? All I’m looking for in a case is minimalism, no need for bells and whistles.

That's a very attractive case! See my note above about the water cooler.

I just built a similar machine to this. I don't know if I'm just spoiled after having a Mac Pro 3,1 for the last 9 years, or if my expectations of PC cases were simply too high, but the Enthoo Evolv ATX case doens't seem nearly as nice as all the glowing reviews led me to believe it would be. YMMV.

@eurekaiv Yeah, probably going to go with something made of glass like this case by anidees or this one by meanit cooling seems to be an issue with these cases but i'll just get more fans or something.

@nobodynose thank you for the thorough reply! Really good tip on the 1080, definitely going to go with one of those. I'll manage with a nvme drive, seems to be worth it :)

I just built a similar machine to this. I don't know if I'm just spoiled after having a Mac Pro 3,1 for the last 9 years, or if my expectations of PC cases were simply too high, but the Enthoo Evolv ATX case doens't seem nearly as nice as all the glowing reviews led me to believe it would be. YMMV.

I also came from a Mac Pro. I have not come across any PC case that comes close to the quality of those old Mac cases.

I think the expectations for PC cases are quite low.

I'd prefer the Asus as its got better connectivity options, but read that Gigabyte is easier to use. Definitely would like usb3/TB3 connections.

Neither is "easier to use" than the other. Choose the one with the features you want/need.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW 8GB - My budget for GPU is around $600, looking for 8GB. Any other opinions/options?!

With a $600 budget, you may be able to get a GTX 1080 Ti if you catch a sale. I got a GTX 1080 for about $430 a few months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back