Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG GL502VS
CPU
Core i7-6700HQ
Graphics
GTX 1070
This thread heavily relies on the thread linked in this text. Give a huge thanks to OP and all the people in the comments who made all this possible

[NOTE: THIS IS ONLY THE EFI FILES TO RUN CATALINA, I RECOMMEND FOLLOWING THE GUIDE FROM THE THREAD LINKED ABOVE AFTERWARDS].

[FOR TRACKPAD SUPPORT, PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VOODOOI2C KEXTS [Only use version 2.3, I don't know why the latest kext refuses to work], MOUNT YOUR PARTITION AS ROOT "sudo mount -uw /", AND ADD "VoodooI2C.kext", "VoodooI2CELAN.kext", and "VoodooI2CHID.kext" TO "/System/Library/Extensions"".]

[FOR KEYBOARD BACKLIGHT, USE THIS APP: https://github.com/black-dragon74/ROG-HID ]

Welp, I got my GL502VS-DB71 running Catalina. Originally, I wanted to run Big Sur, and while it worked, there were some issues, especially with their snapshot-only filesystem that made adding some kexts into /System/Library/Extensions a pain in the ass. Also made "installing" the Nvidia web drivers impossible. By the way, before I get crucified, I know the drivers don't offer hardware acceleration in macOS versions beyond high sierra, I'm well aware, but I find the web drivers to offer better performance than running the system without them at all.

Ended up switching to OpenCore, despite how scary it looked at first, it actually wasn't that bad. Configuring the plist from scratch was surprisingly easy, and a lot of the tweaks you usually add to clover come pre-bundled. I don't know whether I should make a new post, or upload the EFI files here. I'd recommend using OpenCore configurator, it made life a lot easier.

I know there's some malpractices in this config, with the DSDT being in the plist being one of them. I'm still extremely new at hackintoshing, much more to OpenCore, so there's some stuff I don't fully understand completely. I'd recommend generating a new DSDT using the method in this guide, and also adding the AsusSMC patches as well.

I removed the platform info section, but you can add a new one in the OpenCore configurator by going to: PlatformInfo; and click on that little button with 2 arrows next to "Check Coverage" near the bottom. Then check on "MacBookPro,13,3".

Also, I also heavily recommend re-enabling debug mode if this is your first install, ya know, just in case something inevitably goes wrong, as it's with anything hackintosh-related. You can do this by going to Misc: Debug: and click on "Disable Watchdog", "AppleDebug", and "ApplePanic".

This config has intel wifi and intel Bluetooth working straight out of the box perfectly from my experience, and everything works perfectly except for video hardware acceleration, and the keyboard not working on boot sometimes.

Anyways, love ya guys, and thank you SO MUCH for all the guides and comments that made all this possible.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    79.4 MB · Views: 579
Last edited:
*Made a mistake, only use VoodooI2C kexts from version 2.3. I don't know why the latest version refuses to work

Also, I noticed ya had some issues with getting your brightness working. Did you make sure to install the Nvidia web drivers when you tried installing macOS Sierra? Everytime I unplugged my computer without the web drivers, my screen became EXTREMELY dim. Also, could ya link the forums where ya found the people who've managed to get native brightness control working? I'm kinda curious since I haven't been able to fix that myself either hahaha

Also, I noticed ya had some issues with getting your brightness working. Did you make sure to install the Nvidia web drivers when you tried installing macOS Sierra? Everytime I unplugged my computer without the web drivers, my screen became EXTREMELY dim. Also, could ya link the forums where ya found the people who've managed to get native brightness control working? I'm kinda curious since I haven't been able to fix that myself either hahaha
I could not fix that either... I think people from this post managed to get it fixed but I could not. Hope you can! https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...s-control-nvidia-graphics-only-laptop/?page=8

I could not fix that either... I think people from this post managed to get it fixed but I could not. Hope you can! https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...s-control-nvidia-graphics-only-laptop/?page=8
Heya, I'm currently trying to install macOS Big Sur on my laptop, so far I've found a method to force the system to not seal the system or boot from snapshots, thus having a working "live system". Let's see if this works. Also, I found something that might interest ya in regards to brightness control: https://github.com/onejay09/osx . System seems close enough, so I'm thinking this might work

Heya, I'm currently trying to install macOS Big Sur on my laptop, so far I've found a method to force the system to not seal the system or boot from snapshots, thus having a working "live system". Let's see if this works. Also, I found something that might interest ya in regards to brightness control: https://github.com/onejay09/osx . System seems close enough, so I'm thinking this might work
Update: Keyboard brightness control seems to work now with big sur. Managed to get the half-working nvidia drivers running, so it's running pretty smoothly actually. Just trying to get the touchpad working

Update: Keyboard brightness control seems to work now with big sur. Managed to get the half-working nvidia drivers running, so it's running pretty smoothly actually. Just trying to get the touchpad working
your nvidia is not supported

your nvidia is not supported
Hi yes, I'm well aware of that. I don't mean to claim I did something that nobody else in the community has been able to do for years, I'm using the half-working workaround that doesn't give you proper hardware acceleration. It's not optimal, but it works better than running the system with the regular VESA Fallback drivers.

Heya, I was wondering, I've been reading a few threads and saw you may have a system similar to mines running Big Sur, how did you manage to fix the touchpad? I'm blocking the IntelAppleLpss2 kexts using OpenCore, and putting the VoodooI2C files in /System/Library/Extensions. I couldn't get the Voodoo kexts to work by putting them in the OpenCore kext directory, not in High Sierra, Catalina, and I'm pretty sure it might not work in Big Sur.

Hi yes, I'm well aware of that. I don't mean to claim I did something that nobody else in the community has been able to do for years, I'm using the half-working workaround that doesn't give you proper hardware acceleration. It's not optimal, but it works better than running the system with the regular VESA Fallback drivers.

Heya, I was wondering, I've been reading a few threads and saw you may have a system similar to mines running Big Sur, how did you manage to fix the touchpad? I'm blocking the IntelAppleLpss2 kexts using OpenCore, and putting the VoodooI2C files in /System/Library/Extensions. I couldn't get the Voodoo kexts to work by putting them in the OpenCore kext directory, not in High Sierra, Catalina, and I'm pretty sure it might not work in Big Sur.
no need to block anything in regards to IntelAppleLpss2 as latest versions of voodooi2c can sort that out by itself

i use a combination of 2x renames in config.plist and a hotpatch for the trackpad

you can see the files in use:

also do you also have intel graphics?

no need to block anything in regards to IntelAppleLpss2 as latest versions of voodooi2c can sort that out by itself

i use a combination of 2x renames in config.plist and a hotpatch for the trackpad

you can see the files in use:

also do you also have intel graphics?
Hi, thank you for your fast response. I'll be sure to try what you sent me right now. Also, no Intel Graphics, my laptop has Intel Graphics disabled at hardware level from what I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back