Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've recently purchased the parts needed to build a dual boot OSX/Win7 machine. The parts are as follows:

ASUS Maximus V Gene
Intel 3570K
8GB of Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US Memory
128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
2x 1TB HDDs in RAID 1 from a previous build.

I had planned to upgrade my power supply at a later time in conjunction with a new video card and overclocking of the CPU. However, reading the ASUS manual and varying forums online I wonder if I need to upgrade now out of necessity.

My current PSU is a Dynex DX400WSP that I purchased from Best Buy nearly 4 years ago. I've had zero problems with it running my 945G/Pentium D setup. My concerns are that the Dynex PSU has a 4 pin CPU connector while the Maximus V Gene has an 8pin connector. I've seen many threads debating which connector is better. I'm more concerned with will a 4 pin connector in an 8 pin socket cause any damage to my hardware. The motherboard manual recommends a minimum of 350W for a fully configured system. Assuming that means all ports, slots, and connectors are occupied I would think my 400W PSU should be fine for the time being.

So, will a 4 pin connector in an 8 pin socket cause any damage to my hardware? Considering I will not be installing a video card or overclocking at this current time, will 400W be enough for my system?

Upgrade now... There's no way to be kind regarding your Dynex DX400WSP, I wouldn't risk a $200.00 board with it.

I figured there was some risk involved with continuing to use my Dynex PSU. My only concern with buying a new PSU is efficiency under low loads. Eventually, I want to add a couple video cards and a ThunderboltEX card to this build. A PSU that can handle those future additions won't be very efficient with my current hardware. So, I'm stuck between buying a PSU that can handle my future hardware additions, or buying one now that matches my current hardware and then upgrading again when I install expansions.

I guess I'm missing the point here. Buy a PS for today's needs or buy one for the future, same choice everyone has to make.

Sorry I'm being unclear. Ideally, I want to buy a PSU once for this rig.

I've been working under the assumption that PSUs are most efficient around 40 to 60 percent of their total wattage. According to the PSU Calculator I've been using I would draw 250W at 100% load with my current hardware listed. I've read mixed reviews about whether or not such PSU calculators are accurate.

I suppose in the long run over buying the PSU now with the intentions of adding a couple expansion cards in the future isn't such a big deal. I know the PSU won't be performing in it's optimal efficiency range but at least I won't have as many concerns about it dying and taking other expensive components with it.

With that in mind, what wattage would you recommend? At least right now I plan on adding video cards that are well balanced with the other components listed in my first post, potentially a couple 560ti or 660ti cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back