Contribute
Register

PSU Part question? Need Help finding part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eelhead

Super Moderator
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
i5 7600k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

I have searched high and low and even called Thermaltake and the dude hung up on me because "they don't sell parts here". But in my infanant wisdom of not having a clue I tried to remove the little circuit board the PSU ac input plug and power switch is soldered to. Well in my process I broke said circuit board. Well not knowing what the name is or where to look I was hoping somebody here could point me in the right direction as to maybe getting one, or one close to it or crap even a dead PSU that matches the one I have.

here is a pic of the part before my shenanigans,
IMG_4192.jpg

And here is the part at newegg,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153106

Any help would be much much appreciated!! I will even name my first G5 mod after your best lady on it's maiden voyage on the vast seas of the interwebs!

Thanks all
Adam

That's kinda what I was thinking was to just build a new one. There are two little blue resisters on the other side but all in all it looks pretty straight forward.

Judah said:
Honestly it looks like a very simple circuit board. All it is controlling is the ground, power wires and a switch to cut off power. I am pretty sure that by mirroring the layout you could use a circuit board from Radioshack. Like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... =107594612

That's my thought - really it doesn't look like a brand-specific part?

That's what I think, but I could be wrong. :)
+1

Well I can say that it needs the little thingies on the board lol, I wired it all direct with the big box and no little resisters and nothing :?
I did snag a used PSU off ebay and will use that for now and put the rig together and then work on the other PSU as my side project after I get the Hack running.

Thanks guys :D

I chalk this up as a learning experience lol

Judah said:
I went home and hacked open an old PSU that I have, and while it doesn't have the board that yours did, it looked to be the same circuit just soldered together directly with wires. It also had the two blue things that I have no idea what they do but I am sure are important :)

I say either purchase a board from radioshack and cut it to size, or just solder it all together freestlye :)
These blue things are capacitors and they used as protection filters of the power.
The unit can work without these things.

eelhead you can drive the power cables from the socket pins to the PSU board directly by-passing this small board.
As a replacement you can use one of these protected multi-sockets.

nikstar said:
Judah said:
I went home and hacked open an old PSU that I have, and while it doesn't have the board that yours did, it looked to be the same circuit just soldered together directly with wires. It also had the two blue things that I have no idea what they do but I am sure are important :)

I say either purchase a board from radioshack and cut it to size, or just solder it all together freestlye :)
These blue things are capacitors and they used as protection filters of the power.
The unit can work without these things.

eelhead you can drive the power cables from the socket pins to the PSU board directly by-passing this small board.
As a replacement you can use one of these protected multi-sockets.
That's what I was wondering???? You wouldn't happen to have a link to one?
Or if I find one do I just need to get one that is the same specs as the input specs on the PSU?

Judah said:
It will work. The power switch was built into the circuit of that board - without it as soon as you plug it in it's passing current. Not a big deal, the switch is mostly for convenience.
Cool Thanks Judah.

I think the blue things are inductors, not capacitors and their function is to keep the high frequency waveforms from going back into your house wiring and creating noise in other electronic devices. You could wire them directly to the line cord socket and power supply board.

Correction, now that I see your picture....I see that they are capacitors across the pins, not inductors in series.

Yeah those are the ones. I also have a little box as well that I think is a filter, not sure.
I can post pictures of it later because I'm at work now :problem:

I thank you both for your help so far. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back