Contribute
Register

PSU not working after Modding it for Apple PSU Housing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is a Software major at University, and he was able to get a friend in Hardware to look at the PSU. It has power all over the board, but for some reason is not outputting power. He believes that there could be an issue in one of the micro controllers.

He suggested, with the new PSU, that I drain all of the capacitors with a resistor (I believe this is the correct terminology that he used) prior to performing any modifications to the PSU. He also noted that I make sure, that when I shorten the wires that I am not going to be using, I need to cut them and terminate them individually. I honestly cannot remember if I cuT them individually originally.

Hopefully with this information and procedure, I have better success with the new PSU

Sorry to hear of your PSU mod has not gone to plan.

If you considering modding a psu to fit in the original apple PSU housing there are some small form factor SFX PSU's, that with a little modding to the original housing, fit without having to take a PSU apart.

I used one in my g5 mod here, but, there are more SFX PSU out there.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-...yout-using-laserhives-low-120mm-matx-kit.html

PSU mods are IMHO, risky on many levels. at the very least you immediately void your warranty by opening the PSU casing.

All the best which ever direction you go with your mod!

I found that the board from a regular 500w ATX PSU (when removed from it's case) fitted easily inside the G5 PSU housing.

I transferred the mounting holes from the board and drilled corresponding holes in the PSU case bottom. I then used four short bolts with the nut attached in the four holes, the bolts provided the nessasary stand-off so that the board's underside did not touch the PSU case and cause a short circuit.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/164113-my-power-mac-g5-atx-hackintosh-mod.html

New PSU arrived and, Its Alive...

IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_0458.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back