Contribute
Register

Psedog's Mod Pro. i7-8700K, Vega64, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.
What fn key boots the bios on startup?!?! I just tried 7 through 12 and no luck, I feel like I'm going crazy...

So, I messed around with my plist in my EFI and now I can't boot up..
That said I do have a carbon copy of the EFI partition/.plist file, but I can't figure out how to replace the file. I have a windows 10 drive that I can boot up, and I have paragons APF's software so I can see the drives but I can't access the actual EFI portion.

Any one know some command line magic I could use to clone over the carbon copy EFI to the original EFI, or have any ideas how to get around?
Hey man, for the BIOS you should be able to accvess it by pressing "Del" on the keyboard.

Regarding ther EFI partition you should be able to boot with your install USB as if you were to install macOS from scratch, but then instead of actually installing it you can fire up the terminal and copy stuff from there (on the very first screen after choosing the language, so: Utilities -> Terminal)

You should be able to mount the EFI partition by following: https://themacadmin.com/2012/02/15/mounting-the-efi-boot-partition-on-mac-os-x/ and if you put your actual EFI folder on the USB installer you should easily copy it to the mounted EFI partition

I wish I was just patient.. The plan was to upgrade to Catalina originally, so I just tried installing it from a boot drive but have been completely unsuccessful so far (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/z390-aorus-pro-stuck-on-apple-logo.290781/#post-2062747)

BIOS/BOOT settings screen: Had to switch my HDMI cable from my graphics card to the MOBO HDMI out.

Revisiting my back up EFI folder, the EFI files don't work when trying to use them again :banghead:

Has anyone tried a fresh install of Catalina by any chance?

I actually installed a clean 10.15.2 using the instructions and the latest EFI from the first post, and everything is working like a charm. I'm still waiting for my discrete WiFi/BT card to arrive, but other than that i'm on 100% functioning macOS catalina.

Hey @psedog thanks for your awesome work on this HOWTO, it made my hackintosh work like a charm (we do have virtually identical setup so no surprises there :D).

However, I do have 2 annoyances and I hope you can help me with that:

1. I have a NVMe SSD and speeds are not as fast as they should be (see attached image) do you have any idea what can I check to bring them up (both read and write should be at worst around 2GB/s :) )
2. When computer boots clover won't automatically pass the choice (even though I have only 1 choice, as that NVMe SSD is the only disk in my computer that's bootable) so it just sits there until I hit enter even though everything looks fine in Config.plist - again as I said it's a minimal annoyance but why not try to make it perfect if you have any idea how ;).

Thanks again man for all your work, have an awesome day!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 08.48.09.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 08.48.09.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 08.58.44.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 08.58.44.png
    299.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 09.27.27.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 09.27.27.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 68
OK the weirdest thing happened... I've updated the macOS to 10.15.3 last night (zero issues) and after that the clover issue was gone, now my hackintosh boots right into the OS... So that part of my previous question can be completely disregarded :D...

Seems to be a one-off, restarted the computer today and had to hit the Enter again in order to pass the clover choice... I really don't udnerstand what's going on :confused:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it has to do with my graphics card, I think its just giving me a blank screen and not actually breaking the build
@Stavi @bkopanja85
Give this EFI a shot. It's working on my Catalina system. Also, if you are using iGpu as well as dGpu, change your memory settings to match this.

Attachments

• EFI-5Feb20.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 88
  • 200205093805.jpg
    200205093805.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 59
Also, always keep a USB flash drive nearby with efi on it. I keep several

Attachments

• 20200205_185728.jpg
    20200205_185728.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
Status