Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Clover r4509 is no longer installing or upgrading VBoxHfs-64.efi. This driver is required to read and show valid macOS disks. For some reason it was removed as a default driver in this release. However it looks like this has been fixed and will be available in the next installer release.

In the mean time, you can either boot from your USB installer stick and rerun the Clover installer to manually add VBoxHfs-64.efi.

Or in https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/categories/clover-builds.12/ you will find our version of the Clover r4509 installer that does install VBoxHfs-64.efi.

Hmm... this has really messed me up. Is there a way to extract VBoxHfs-64.efi from the Clover install .pkg? I have a separate genuine Mac, but the only way I have of accessing the affected system drive’s EFI is via Windows on the same machine. My macOS backups boot but no video. I’d rather just fix this problem first

[edit] omg, Hackintosh has given me such a raw, visceral buzz love for the macOS login screen, it’s truly wonderful to see after you lost access to everything because you messed up!

So to fix this, on my other Mac, I downloaded the Clover installation package. I then used Pacifist to extract the VBoxHfs-64.efi driver, and put it on a memory stick. (pacifist has saved my ass so many times)

I then booted on to Windows on my Hackintosh, and using the administrator command line, used Diskpart to make the EFI partition available, and then used the command line (outside diskpart) to copy the VBoxHfs-64.efi driver to the correct location. Sorry for the lack of detailed instructions, but if anyone is in a silly situation similar to mine and needs more specific help, don’t hesitate to reply ITT or message me.

Never again will I not check the installation options for Clover....

Last edited:
Hmm... this has really messed me up. Is there a way to extract VBoxHfs-64.efi from the Clover install .pkg? I have a separate genuine Mac, but the only way I have of accessing the affected system drive’s EFI is via Windows on the same machine. My macOS backups boot but no video. I’d rather just fix this problem first

[edit] omg, Hackintosh has given me such a raw, visceral buzz love for the macOS login screen, it’s truly wonderful to see after you lost access to everything because you messed up!

So to fix this, on my other Mac, I downloaded the Clover installation package. I then used Pacifist to extract the VBoxHfs-64.efi driver, and put it on a memory stick. (pacifist has saved my ass so many times)

I then booted on to Windows on my Hackintosh, and using the administrator command line, used Diskpart to make the EFI partition available, and then used the command line (outside diskpart) to copy the VBoxHfs-64.efi driver to the correct location. Sorry for the lack of detailed instructions, but if anyone is in a silly situation similar to mine and needs more specific help, don’t hesitate to reply ITT or message me.

I in a state of panic, just booted from UniBeast, downloaded and installed 4411 (the version I used before updating to 4509) and restarted.

Is VBoxHfs-64.efi driver involved in apfs OS boot ?
Wonder because my macOs apfs disk still shown up and boot after upgrading to clover r4509 and 10.13.5 (whereas VBoxHfs-64.efi no more present in clover EFI folder)

Last edited:
Clover r4509 is no longer installing or upgrading VBoxHfs-64.efi. This driver is required to read and show valid macOS disks. For some reason it was removed as a default driver in this release. However it looks like this has been fixed and will be available in the next installer release.

In the mean time, you can either boot from your USB installer stick and rerun the Clover installer to manually add VBoxHfs-64.efi.

Or in https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/categories/clover-builds.12/ you will find our version of the Clover r4509 installer that does install VBoxHfs-64.efi.
VBoxHfs-64.efi(Virtual Box copy of Apple HFS+.efi) or Apple HFS+.efi is only required for the installer during the install phase of the OS. If you only use AFPS after they are not required. If you use HFS+ formatting then yes it is still required after install.

Is VBoxHfs-64.efi driver involved in apfs OS boot ?
Wonder because my macOs apfs disk still shown up and boot after upgrading to clover r4509 and 10.13.5 (whereas VBoxHfs-64.efi no more present in clover EFI folder)
Not released to APFS at all, read comment above. Just to prove that the only drivers are required look at my folder of drivers that I only use when booting macOS 10.12+
dPE5RZ7.png

Not released to APFS at all
Noted thanks! that's I guessed as 10.13.5 apfs upgrade and boot work whereas the driver has been removed

I think I may have the same problem as you.

Have you got a beginners guide to implement it in windows so I can get it to work in my build.

So far I have:
Extracted the VBoxHFS-64 from the clover installer r4522 and transferred to an USB stick that.

So now I need to know what to do with it in Windows to make it work?

Ever since I did a clean install too high sierra or Mojave, my 4 tb Western digital drive doesn't mount (or seen in disk utility) if restart the hackintosh. If I turn it off and turn it on, the drive shows up as normal. Would the first post this this issue?

I asked my buddy and he's having the same issue with his 8 tb drive of a z270 board running high sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back