Contribute
Register

PSA: Gigabyte F20B BIOS changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have updated as well, The custom fan curve is a great addition in the new bios version. However I didn't have to enable Patch APIC for MacOS to boot but I have been experiencing random reboots in deep sleep with PowerNap enabled, so hopefully the Patch APIC will fix them.

Did you find out what to stop the random deep sleep reboots?

I've installed F20 bios on my Z170x Gamin 7. What a Nighmare.
Great set of features. But I couldn't ger my Nvidia GTX980 Ti driver loading as expaexted in sierra.
Back to version F8, The Nvidia driver loaded without any problem. Really strange.
So genzai, if you can talk with Gigabyte about this issue, that would be great.

Beware: Don't update to F20 if you have similar setup. I had to downgrade from F20 to F8 with fpt tool. and hex edit the bios file with my Intel Gb mac Address...what a pain //

Hello, I have a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare which is in the same MOBO family and this post from @dmijic worked for making the Nividia Drivers be recoginized after reboot for macOS Sierra 10.12.1 & 10.12.2 for Gigabyte Bios F20.

Thread: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Designare
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-ga-z170x-designare.209418/#post-1396318

I took the plunge and updated. I didn't need to use the Patch APIC option, but the update did wipe out the path to /EFI/EFI/CLOVERX64.efi and I had to re-add it in EasyUEFI in windows. That said, the BIOS update did wipe all my settings and there were some I forgot to change after the update which could have solved the problem. I also had major graphics glitches on the IGFX until I changed some settings (Aka memory from 256M to MAX) there could be better settings but I haven't fully tested yet.

I cannot get the Patch APIC option to stick. I've rebooted dozens of times, going into Clover Options -> CPU Tuning and clicking the 'Patch APIC' checkbox (Kernel PM is already checked). I then return to the main screen and attempt to boot to either the Unibeast stick or my Sierra volume and get the kernel panic.

I've only successfully booted to my login screen once, but upon restart, Patch APIC became unchecked again.

Am I missing something?

IMG_8057.JPG

I cannot get the Patch APIC option to stick. I've rebooted dozens of times, going into Clover Options -> CPU Tuning and clicking the 'Patch APIC' checkbox (Kernel PM is already checked). I then return to the main screen and attempt to boot to either the Unibeast stick or my Sierra volume and get the kernel panic.

I've only successfully booted to my login screen once, but upon restart, Patch APIC became unchecked again.

Am I missing something?

View attachment 228888

Once you boot into macOS you have to mount your EFI partition that contains clover, and edit you config.plist (/EFI/EFI/Config.plist) to make the patch permanent. Not sure what the syntax is but search it, you'll find what you need to edit...

Am I missing something?

View attachment 228888

I made an error in my last post, the file to be edited is /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/CONFIG.PLIST

mount the EFI partition (I use clover configurator to do this) and you can open the conflig.plist file in clover configurator and under the ACPI section, check off the "Patch APIC" option in the main window (bottom leftish). Save the file then reboot.

I made an error in my last post, the file to be edited is /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/CONFIG.PLIST

mount the EFI partition (I use clover configurator to do this) and you can open the conflig.plist file in clover configurator and under the ACPI section, check off the "Patch APIC" option in the main window (bottom leftish). Save the file then reboot.
There seemed to be some corruption of my EFI partition or the BIOS path. I realized that, even with the USB stick in, it was still booting from the internal Clover… as soon I was able to boot from the USB I decided the best course of action was to delete the internal drive and reinstall (it was still essentially a vanilla test install, no data, no apps aside from Clover and EFI utilities). It boots fine, now with F20. Weird.

Thanks!

EDIT: The problem reappeared as soon as I applied the 1150 audio and HD530 patches in Multibeast. I can boot to the internal Sierra install when using the USB stick as the Clover loader.

EDIT2: It's definitely the HD530 patch applied via Multibeast.

EDIT3: Any FakeID graphics device seems to cause the panic. (Case in point: attempting to inject the device ID for a Radeon RX 480).

Last edited:
I just updated my GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 from F5 to F20 - the great news is I no longer have 10,000 UEFI boot entries, each boot making a new one.

The not-so-great news is I can no longer even boot a UniBeast or vanilla Clover USB! All I get is a flashing cursor at the top left of the screen after selecting the thumb drive in the boot menu! Going to have to experiment with BIOS settings - it would be nice if Gigabyte released some kind of change log with a BIOS update, but no, that would be proper engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back