Contribute
Register

PSA: Gigabyte F20B BIOS changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update for my system as per profile. The F20 BIOS broke Sleep. The system would now immediately bounce awake again.

Initially thought it might be a BIOS setting I'd missed in the upgrade, or the new GTX 1050 I'd installed. Thinking deeper I realised I just hadn't used Sleep since the upgrade to F20.

Long story short, I used FPT to downgrade to F4 and Sleep is working perfectly again.

The Long Story:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/posts/1487166

:)

I was able to downgrade back to a BIOS version previous to F20.

I use the FTP Z170 Tool for DOS from https://www.mediafire.com/?p66jhts7cfi26y8

Then I...

1. Formatted a USB drive to DOS bootable with Rufus
2. Copied the contents of the zip above into the root of the USB drive overwriting the AUTOEXEC.bat
3. Downloaded the the BIOS I wanted to downgrade to from Gigabyte.us site
4. Move the BIOS binary to the root of the USB and rename it "bios.bin"
5. Boot the machine from the USB drive and it will automatically overwrite the BIOS to the desired version.
6. Ctrl-Alt-Delete once it says it's done

** Be sure to copy down the MAC address of your Intel NIC as it will be overwritten and you'll have to change it back once you're back up and running.

hey
hugheba

if i am not change my Intel NIC MAC address . what problme i facing ..?

Hey all,
Just want to post about my experience with the new F20B BIOS. This Bios version was released for most of the SKylake/Z170 boards recently by Gigabyte. The BIOS adds support for Kaby Lake, but also does a pretty big overhaul of the UEFI and options as well. Generally this seems like a nice improvement but there are things to note...

I have tested the F20B versions for GA-Z170X-UD5 TH and GA-Z170X-Designare. They both have the same issues/improvements, but other boards may behave differently. First of all, the old bug where the BIOS would add extra UEFI boot entries every time it booted, for the same clover entry, flooding the BIOS with excessive boot options is now gone. It now correctly looks at the entry in EFI/BOOT and only sees this entry once. So that is good.

However in both my cases clover would NOT boot macOS at all until I checked/enabled both "Patch APIC" and "KernelPM" options in clover. This was not necessary in previous versions of the BIOS. If you do not enable these clover options, the boot will hang as soon as clover tries to load macOS (following the ++++++++++++++++++++++ in verbose readout). I don't see any downsides to having these options enabled but it does seem odd that it is required now when before it wasn't. This seems to be a CPUID issue or something related.

g\

Just about to update my BIOS. I already have the KernelPM option checked. Cant seem to find the Patch APIC. Where is it exactly? Thanks

Same problem, nvidia driver lost. I cant come back

Setup emulated NVRAM to store the nvda_drv=1 boot flag in boot-args.
See Problem 6 of Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems
Install EmuVariableUefi-64 + RC Scripts

I finally took the plunge and flashed to F22, hoping it would improve LAN port stability (it didn't change it, LAN still randomly disconnects occasionally). The NVIDIA driver issue was the only real problem I faced and this worked perfectly.

I've just updated on my GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 to BIOS F21, boot doesn't work, when I plug usb (it used to work before) I get the boot0 error, when I select boot options before the update I was able to see the disks with the UEFI prefix, eg:

- Disk 0
- UEFI: Disk 0
...etc

now only the single disk names, for my internal ssd I just see windows boot manager, not even the disk name by itself (the one used to boot clover)

UPDATE: after a CMOS reset etc it boots, however I can't get into the setup nor the HDD, the HDD doesn't work as I get the stop sign and the "Waiting for root device" (even if I've installed the RehabMan's NVME patch), trying to boot the installer instead gives kernel panic on iousbfamily

Last edited:
I just updated to BIOS F21 on z170x Gaming 5 and everything is working so far.
I see no negative effects - only positive - the "Ghost" UEFI boot entries have gone.
I didn't touch anything in my config.plist - it already had KernelPM checked . . . and I didn't check PatchAPIC, figured I could enter that as a boot argument if I got stuck, but never needed it.
First time for everything right?

[QUOTE="The F20 BIOS broke Sleep. The system would now immediately bounce awake again.[/QUOTE]

no sleep issues here. GA-z170x-ud5.
all is working. (i did have a problem initially, with xchi disabled in BIOS, resulting in hanged boot. once enabled, all is working).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back