Contribute
Register

ProStudio build: Successful 99% working Asus X99-Pro/i7-5930x/GTX980 (oc) edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO
CPU
i9-11900K
Graphics
GTX Titan (Black)
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Classic
  3. Color Classic
  4. iMac
  5. LC
  6. Performa
  7. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Alright, I have finally put together the toughest build yet using an ASUS X99-pro for a new member on the forums. He is a professional photographer/ teacher who needs as much computer-HP as he can get his hands onto. The 5960x is too expensive at this point in time.

I will explain the process in detail and challenges I faced when building this behemoth of a Mac not to mention that this PC case is 24.6Kg to start with.

Components

5930K i7 Intel Processor (6 Core 12 Thread) (2011v3)
http://www.ncix.com/detail/intel-core-i7-5930k-3-70ghz-six-db-100098.htm

Memory: Crucial DDR4 2133Mhz 32Gb RAM
CT4K8G4DFD821332GB kit (8GBx4) DDR4 PC4-17000 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.2V

GPU: EVGA GTX980 (oc) 4GB
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2983-KR

Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 840EVO Drives
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147249

Expansion: Asus Thunderbolt II PCie addon card (on back order*)
http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ThunderboltEX_II/

Expansion 2 : 3 port 1394 PCI Express Firewire Card (PEX1394B3)
http://www.startech.com/PCI-Express-Cards

Case: Cosmos II Case
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119252

CPU Cooler: Nepton 240M
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/nepton-240m/

HX1000i 1000W PSU
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139082

Display: Samsung U28D590D 28" 4K (3840x2160)
http://www.ncix.com/detail/samsung-u28d590d-28in-4k-uhd-c5-95635-1478.htm

Already owned:

2 storage drives: 1x WD 2TB Green (Sata3) and 1x 1TB Seagate (Sata3)
(from an older Lacie drive) and OWC usb 3/ Sata case.

Installation/Guide:

Because this build uses a i7 59xx series(2011v3), a processor that is currently unsupported by MacOSX, I used Roth's install method of Downloading a copy of the MacOSX Yosemite 10.10.1 from Apple, making an installer disk using the Unibeast method and using the VoodooTSCSync 6core kernel patch to boot the system.
Please use the link below to learn more about the install methods in the link below.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/143849-haswell-e-x99-motherboard-temporary-guide-os-x-10-10-a-59.html

Due to the complexities of adding and removing kernels.kexts and sudo commands
my install involved a slightly different approach. I download and installed a virgin copy of MacOSX on a real Apple computer and installed it on the SSD I intended to use as my boot volume.
I installed the Nvidia web drivers before I started. IF you don't have an Mac that uses a Nvidia GFX card
you can still install the webdrivers by using Pacifist ( a very useful unpacking program)
Make sure you've created an account on the MacOSX volume you're going to doctor!!!

Before starting the doctoring phase, make sure you've set your bios on the ASUS board appropriately.
You're going to want to turn off all power management functions, hyper threading... virtualization etc.

Also make sure you've updated your bios to the most recent release. There is a new bios dated for Jan 2015. Get this one and install it.

Next.
Unhide all hidden system files/folders on your computer before you start with the below method.
[FONT=AktivGrotesk-Medium !important]defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES[/FONT]
[FONT=AktivGrotesk-Medium !important]killall Finder[/FONT]

Doctoring begins

1) I removed the AppleTyMCE.kext from the system/libraries/extensions folder
2) I then used multibeast 7.1 and installed the bare minimum kexts.
Do not install the FakeSMC hardware monitor as this routinely causes a Kernel panic on bootup.

***After installing Mutibeast, you're going to install VoodooTSCsync 6 core .kext from Roth's install method (for a 5930x) in the Extra/Extensions folder

and patch the disk using the sudo commands. ***

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\xEB\x0A\x83\xF8\x3A|\xEB\x0A\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

USB is the name of your SSD/HDD disk. I recommend you do not use numbers in the name or you may find that you can't apply the sudo command. I used (MacOSX) as my drive name and it worked.

Using this Sudo command patches the system with the VoodooTSCsync 6 core Kernel. This will allow
the system to boot using the i7 5930x processor.

3) After installing the kexts and VoodooTSCsyn.kext you'll want to use
Chameleon Wizard

install the boot0hfs, Boot0md, and Chameleon bootloader.

4) next go to bootflags in Cameleon Wizard and set your

Bootflags should be set/checked as the following from Left to right.

BootFlags

Gui
Instant Menu
Legacy Logo

Miscellaneous

Use Kernel Cache
Ethernet built in
Systemtype = desktop
restart fix
private data

CPU ( this what I've got and it works well)
Generate P-states
Generate C-states
Enable C2 state
Enable C3 state
Enable C4 state

USB FIX

Check all

Graphics

VBIOS
Display_0
Display_1
Graphics Mode = 3840x2160x32
PCIRoot=1

Kernel flags

Bootflags
Kext_dev_mode=1

Misc.
npci=0x2000
darkwake=0
dart=0
nvda_drv=1

5) set your smbios to definition to Macpro 6,1. *Generate a serial number* This will allow you to connect to the apple store and run iChat (other 2011 socket Macpro definitions will work as well)

6) FileNVRam.dylib
HDAEnabler.dylib
Keylayout.dylib
Resoultion.dylib
Sata.dylib

7) Install your boot loader theme.

This is the first part to get your computer to booting stage.

Next comes WIFI/Bluetooth and Audio.

Audio:
I'm using the VoodooHDA 2.8.7.kext for ALC1150 Crystal Audio
from http://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/

Actually I am impressed with the sound quality enough that I am going to leave this as is.
I've tested all the sound ports and adjusted the PCM. I've got it outputting reference quality audio on all channels. All the audio ports work. A little crackling on the front headphone ports, and this was fixed by adjusting the mixer controls. PCM and gain. No more crackling.

WIFI/Bluetooth:
bcm4352.kext from
http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2767-broadcom-bcm4352-80211-ac-wifi-and-bluetooth-combo-card/

Bluetooth still didn't work for me. I've since used a bluetooth 4.1 usb dongle.

Comments:

This rig is designed to be used as a multi-media studio computer for Video and Audio recording/editing.

Difficulties

Again, I can't say enough about how complex a build this was.
this would not have been my first choice of hardware but the person I'm building for wanted to be an early adapter of the new 2011v3 platform.

I had lots of problems trying to get MacOSX loaded with the custom kernel on the Samsung840EVO SSDs as the boot files kept getting corrupted. This was using the traditional unibeast install method via a USB stick. I haven't run into such problems before.

Also updating from MacOSX Yosemite 10.10.1 to 10.10.2 made booting impossible with the custom kernel. Even after reloading the Kernel and reapplying the sudo commands, there was a whole host of other errors/kernel panics/hangs that would pop up.

Something to else think about as well,
ASUS Thunderbolt II cards are very difficult to get ahold of at the present time.

Solutions

Starting from a virgin 10.10.2 base system, then modifying it helped simplify the Kernel install process and it has really payed off. I've had no more problems with KP's etc..

Overclocking

Yesterday, after giving the computer a few hours to run through stability tests, I decided to try and give a little overlocking a try.. just a little. I adjusted the block frequency to 125Mhz. (very slight bump also adjusting the resistance accordingly in the BIOS)
Geekbench score is 22,750 - 23,000. That's a healthy score!!

CAUTION
A Big drawback from 2011v3 is that there is no native power management or sleep as Apple doesn't support this processor yet.
So if you're needing to run this system for long amounts of time, be prepared for it to show on your power bill !!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 3.26.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 3.26.17 PM.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 977
  • P1050585.jpg
    P1050585.jpg
    791.9 KB · Views: 1,758
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 2.54.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 2.54.36 PM.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 910
  • P1050583.jpg
    P1050583.jpg
    761 KB · Views: 738
Motherboard
CPU
i7 5930K
Graphics
GTX980
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Good stuff. Well I've used similar boards and specifically the Asus Pro board can be temperamental when it's BIOS setting on power management and temperature settings are turned on and off. Had a heck of a time with my Asus Deluxe board turning off after I turned on my Power Management option and then temp sensor was engaged.

Oh, and something else I found odd that the BIOS would loose it's settings and sometimes involve the clock base and speed stepping without touching either one of them. This is a bug I believe in the BIOS.

Word of warning!

The BIOS setting have to be carefully done. I learned the hard way and caused issues. It's easy to do!

Motherboard
Asus ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO
CPU
i9-11900K
Graphics
GTX Titan (Black)
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Classic
  3. Color Classic
  4. iMac
  5. LC
  6. Performa
  7. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Why don't you post your geek bench scores on the rig that I just built you?
Post your geek bench. Wasn't it 27,800 after you turned on hyper threading?

:clap:

Pics please. Post the system (bios settings) pics as this will help other builders pr noobs to the X99 chipset.

Actually I was having a look at other reviews today on a hardware review site regarding X99 chip set.

There are a great deal of problems with them. ASUS X99 Deluxe/pros suffers from flaky settings and poor overlock voltage control. Some users have blown their boards after the board looses control over it's present internal resistance dropping without warning. This results in over volt situation across the ram and processor and destroys the board.
Something to be very careful of. Error type 94 and 95 both seem to be very common. Also called a boot/bios hang. This seems to quite often require a re-flash of the bios via a USB stick.

keep your eyes open for any oddities while booting or sudden freezes. This may be an indication you might have to back off the overclock!

Motherboard
CPU
i7 5930K
Graphics
GTX980
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
After hyper threading was enabled and the OC was run on auto w/ all cores set on "46" in the BIOS I am getting 28050 for my Geekbench score. In fact the clock frequency is still at stock but I have greater voltage running to each CPU core. The CPU is 100% stable. No freezes or shutdowns.

I'm a bit surprised at the score. oh and 1 more thing..... SLEEP ACTUALLY FRIGGIN WORKS ON THIS BUILD!!! Yes - you heard correctly... IT WORKS!!! The mouse or keyboard wakes it up....
Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 12.26.00 AM.png

Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Congrats on getting this to work. :clap:

Going to give this a go. I have the exact same hardware and have struggled to find anyone who has a successful build using these parts.

I'm sure i'll run into a few problems along the way (Who doesn't?) so i'll no doubt be in touch!

Btw, what kind of Cinebench scores was this build getting, post overclock?

Thanks! C.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello there, I have the same exact build you have, but I couldn't continue the guide since I could get Chameleon Wizard to work.

it says there is no internet connection .

is it possible to get the plist from you since we have the same motherboard, cpu and gpu ?

Motherboard
Asus X99-e Ws
CPU
i7-5820K
Graphics
Radeon VII
could you post some pictures of the bios to see the settings?
thanks

Motherboard
Asus X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
i7-7980XE
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
How is FireWire working on this build.. I've tried the Apple TB-FW adapter, two different brands of FW-PCIe cards (IO Crest and Siig), and a OWC TB dock with FW800 - with no success.

Using an Asus X99-A with 5960X

Edit: Looks like FireWire is working with another build I did with the 5820K and X99-A.. so more testing is needed.

Motherboard
CPU
i7 5930K
Graphics
GTX980
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
How is FireWire working on this build.. I've tried the Apple TB-FW adapter, two different brands of FW-PCIe cards (IO Crest and Siig), and a OWC TB dock with FW800 - with no success.

Using an Asus X99-A with 5960X

Edit: Looks like FireWire is working with another build I did with the 5820K and X99-A.. so more testing is needed.

I've been away for a while. Lots has happened since I last posted. Firstly, the CPU I had was completely faulty and had to be RMAed. The motherboard also had to be RMAed due to a blown power management bus. Now that this rig is back up and running 100% I see that many of you are asking for the plist and bios settings. Also I have Thunderbolt EXII running along with a separate FireWire card from SIIG. The FireWire 800 runs off the card without a power adapter, not so with FireWire 400. I'm sending everything for you guys tomorrow afternoon.

Motherboard
Asus X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
i7-7980XE
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Wow! Sorry you had to go through all of that.. How were you able to get the faulty components diagnosed? I recently had 3 different motherboards go bad on me within a week's time and am now getting ready to explore my options..

Status
Not open for further replies.