Contribute
Register

Prospective build, any issues with components?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus > Need full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i5-650
Graphics
GT 610
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Apple
  4. Centris
  5. iMac
  6. LC
  7. Performa
  8. Power Mac
  9. PowerBook
  10. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello fellow posters, I have selected parts for a build I would like to put together. I have done one previous build. I now would like to build a second but with a more customized appearance using an old Sawtooth G4 case. I've done all the correct measurements for power supply, heat sink clearance, and graphics card clearance as well too. My concerns are with how well the components selected will work with Lion. The selected components selected are:

MSI H55M-E33 motherboard
PNY GeForce 210 512MB (selected for it's already low profile)
Intel Core i5-650@ 3.2 Ghz
4GB of Kingston Value RAM
CoolMax 600 Watt Power Supply
(HD will be determined later)
(Going without a DVD drive, and will use external if needed)
G4 Sawtooth case

My questions are; Will I have to do any mods to the install? Should I start with Snow Leopard and upgrade or do a clean install as Lion? Does anyone see any issues with the parts selected? If there are issues best solutions for them?

I know in order to make it look as OEM as possible modifications will need to be done in lengthening the power supply cables to the logic board, cutting the back plane of the case to fit the new port configuration, modifying the mounting area for the board, rewiring a new power switch or re doing the current switch to power on the computer. If you like offer any suggestions or words of wisdom. Once I get some feedback and a general consensus the parts will work I'll start the build with pics of it in process. I've already gotten the case stripped and started on the logic board mounting set-up. I just need the new one for a full mock up.
Wish Me Luck :headbang:

I don't foresee any issues with the parts you've listed. As long as it's an intel board and a intel cpu you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply, it's always a gamble doing one of these builds. Especially with parts that are not exactly the same as those listed as "supported" even though there is evidence of people using them. The graphics card is always the biggest iffy item. My biggest challenge in this build will be getting everything to fit properly and look OEM on the outside and inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back