Contribute
Register

Propertree in Big Sur crashes Python

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone that wasn't able to solve this problem by changing the first line of the ProperTree.command from Python to Python3 please note that you'll need to add the reference to Python to reflect the version corresponding to that installed on Big Sur.

I have Python3.9 installed so I changed the first line from Python to Python3.9

Hope this helps.
Thanks, worked for me :thumbup:

Try this:

Open ProperTree.command in a text editor

Change the first line from

#!/usr/bin/env python

to

#!/usr/bin/env python3

Worked for me, anyway!
Worked for me. Thanks !

Hello, this is a new issue for me, but none of the options worked for me. I did change it to python3, then to 3.9.
My issue is not seemed to be in finding python or running on a correct version of python, but rather with a library called tkinter:
Bash:
Desktop/ProperTree-master/ProperTree.command ; exit;
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/sasha/Desktop/ProperTree-master/ProperTree.command", line 5, in <module>
    import Tkinter as tk
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'Tkinter'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/sasha/Desktop/ProperTree-master/ProperTree.command", line 11, in <module>
    import tkinter as tk
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/[email protected]/3.9.2_4/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/tkinter/__init__.py", line 37, in <module>
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_tkinter'
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

Interestingly enough, this ProperTree worked for me, but I don't know what exactly interfered that prevents this code from running right now.
I'd like to be able to run this application again, if anyone had any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Interestingly enough, this ProperTree worked for me, but I don't know what exactly interfered that prevents this code from running right now.
I'd like to be able to run this application again, if anyone had any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Okay, this is what I recall that I did to get ProperTee working in macOS Big Sur so hope it works for you ;
  1. Download latest Python for macOS and run then install package .pkg
  2. Launch Python from your Application folder and Open in Finder
  3. Locate the Install Certificates.command and double-click it to install the certificates in macOS
    NOTE: If you see a warning in the Terminal during the process (shown below) then do step 4. otherwise skip it ;

WARNING: You are using pip version 20.3.3; however, version 21.0.1 is available.
    You should consider upgrading via the '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/bin/python3.9 -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.

4. Copy that quoted code section from the above warning into the terminal (shown below) and run it to update pip;
    Code:
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/bin/python3.9 -m pip install --upgrade pip

That’s Python up to date, let's deal with ProperTree

5. Download ProperTree from the CorpNewt GitHub
  6. Open the ProperTree-master folder and locate the Scripts folder and open it.
  7. Double-click the following command ;
    Code:
    buildapp-select.command
    This will open the Terminal window shown below:
    Screenshot of buildapp-select command.png
  8. Select the option that is the most applicable (for me that was option 3 though your options may differ) and press Enter. The build will execute as shown below ;

buildapp-select command option selected.png

9. Next go back to your ProperTree-master folder and locate the Propertree app

Propertree App pic.png
  10. Open your Application folder in the Finder
  11. Copy the ProperTree app into you Applications folder
  12. Launch the ProperTree app from Applications folder and hopefully it will load with no issues like below ;

ProperTree Plist Editor screenshot.png

ProperTree Working ready for input

13. The Mac menu bar will display as Python when ProperTree is loaded and in use. If you select Python from the menu bar and then select About Python then it should look like this ;
Screenshot 2021-04-03 at 13.40.01.png

Last edited:
Okay, this is what I recall that I did to get ProperTee working in macOS Big Sur so hope it works for you ;
  1. Download latest Python for macOS and run then install package .pkg
  2. ...
@Robbish
Thank you so much for this detailed explanation, all of that makes a lot of sense. I just needed a quick way to launch my propertree to check something really quick, but installing this as an application that would be the right way to go.
In any case, the quick workaround I found was to start it with explicitly calling the version:
python2.7 ProperTree.command

This worked, I found that interesting that the depreciation warning that TK may be removed in a future release. Wonder if the ProperTeam had any plans on mitigating this issue and push the updated version of the code, cause that would be the ProperThing to do ;)

Warmest regards to you Robbish, and thank you again

@Robbish
Thank you so much for this detailed explanation..

Your welcome zabalex, CorpNewt has explained is his FAQs section the fixes to all of the issues for those on macOS Big Sur so those ProperTree issues should have been ironed out by now but if not, I hope my guide works for others ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back