Contribute
Register

[Project]: Big Bro' Prodigy (Extreme BitFenix Prodigy mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn Nikkokick, you are a Mac Mod Ninja! I always enjoy your updates, always well written and photographed.

Hah thanks a lot Jinhu! :) Appreciate you like the way I work and do my updates. I try to focus on having a balance between good photos and amount text :)

Very nice!

Thanks! :)

How much will it cost that you make a case like that :p

ITS SUPER Cool, you really good in it!! :headbang:

Thanks a lot! :)
Sorry, I do not take any orders ;)
But if you wish, when I'm finished with this project, you could do the same following my steps ;)

Thanks again all,
Best Regards
Nikkop

Update 20/04 2013

updatexg.jpg

UPDAAAAAAATE! :D

Cutting the case for the power supply. - 20/04 -2013

Update 20/4 to 2013

Hello dear readers!

Hope you all have a good time! :) Today I have modified the case a bit so thought an update was about time! ;)
This will be a pretty small and fast update, but as I know this moment is interesting I'm doing an update! :)

It will be about how I decided where the power supply back should be put. Thus, where the cord and exhaust of air shall be directed, and how / what I sawed to achieve this :)

Here's how it looked when I test-mounted the computer after the last update. The Power supply's back was then at the case's back. Since all other cables were on the bottom, it felt silly to have the PSU cable at the back of the case.
63889510.jpg

69015006.jpg

Here's the underside of the case where I want the PSU's back to be (you can see the power supply through the holes in the case)
50186610.jpg

39975093.jpg

I made a mask for the hole so I know where to cut! :)
66658772.jpg

79482380.jpg

I put down the case in a box and it's ready to be cut! The reason I have the case in a box is that it reduces any derbis on the floor that flies around when I cut. In other words, not as much time spent on the floor sweeping it all up haha.
40571916.jpg

As Bon Jovi would have said, " HALFWAY THERE "
67401442.jpg

The hole has been sawn! Let's see how it looks with the power supply into place.
59909532.jpg

89689044.jpg

Seen from the side (this is behind the motherboard plate)
42633144.jpg

The power supply with the power cord connected.
I will have to get myself an angled cord but that shouldn't be any problem (otherwise I'll create one myself :D )
33147071.jpg

That was the hole where the PSU will sit!
The underside of the case is not quite finished yet. I will do it nicely by inserting a mesh to cover all the cut-outs / edges and make it neat and uniform. Even if you do not see the bottom it must be nice looking! ;)

Comment or question please, I get happy whenever people write! :)
Thank you for reading and following!

Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Nikkop

Good work

Keep us updated :D

Thanks! :) Here's an update for you! :D

updatexg.jpg

Replacing the old I / O & PCI-E back on the chassis with aluminum "mesh". - 30/04 -2013

UPDATE 29/4 - 2013

Hello everyone!

Hope youre all doing great! Here I am witha new update :)

This update will be about constructing and mounting of the new back piece. The original back with the I/O- and PCI-ports on the Bifenix Prodigy.

Due to the fact that Ive created a new place for these holes on my mod the original back fits no purpose any longer.
So I will get some 1mm steel mesh and test mount it to see what it would look like in this update! :)

Let's go!

Here's the original back of the Prodigy that I no longer have any use for.
19531663.jpg

I'm going to replace it with this mesh of 1mm thick steel. It's pretty solid!
46572516.jpg

As you can see the mesh doesnt fit out-of-box of course :) I mark what is to be cut off.
35782570.jpg

54332754.jpg

Once I cut that off it suddenly fits a lot better :D ;)
98037644.jpg

73503936.jpg

Not entirely done thou. I need to cut some details for it to line up.
77513790.jpg

After some measuring I get that done and it all fits so much better now! :) Dont you think?
32672618.jpg

33229979.jpg

11781997.jpg

68225695.jpg

Now its time to test mount the mesh! :)
To do this I put some masking tape so I can point out where to drill the holes.
70266627.jpg

85905184.jpg

I got a nice and handy present from my family. Will come in use fo shure! ;)
95326160.jpg

Drilling the holes Ive marked out :)
42326111.jpg

12956211.jpg

Now its left to mount it. I do it with some rivets. Rivets turns out to be awesome for this :)
33071346.jpg

Aaaand here's the result of this update! What do you think? :)
80807113.jpg

62792377.jpg

87732727.jpg

32121563.jpg

That was the fix of the new back part :) Its not 100% done tho. What I am to do is to cut the original back off as I have no use for it. This means that the mesh will be the only thing at the back, the original back won't exist any longer.
This also allows me to make my own holes/mountings for like fans etc.

I Will of course paint the mesh so the color matches the rest of the build! :)

I think this turned out great.
What do you think? :)

And for those wondering. Yes, the side panels can still be attached as regular! :)

Comment or ask questions if you have any. I get happy when people write! :D
Thank you for reading and following

Best regards
Nikkop

Hi!

So, my birthday was yesterday and this package dumped in, what a timing! :D

70326708.jpg

An update coming up soon enough! ;)

(I'm throwing a birthday party this weekend so don't know if I'll have the time then! :eek: )

Best Regards
nikkop

updatexg.jpg

UPDATE! :D

Modification of the front panel - 24/05 -2013

UPDATE 24/5 - 2013

Hi all!

Hope you’re all doing great! :)
I got a package on the 22nd of May that consisted of some mesh for my build.

I was planning to release a big update where I use all the mesh I’ve gotten but after last night, when I did some working on this project, I was so happy about the results that I couldn’t resist to share it with you now! :D

So here it is!
Made a change on the front panel. I love the look of steel and mesh so I pretty much had to ;)

Get ready!

As most of you know the black version of the Prodigy has some kind of mesh in the front panel.
prodigyh.png

Because I love the look and color of steel and mesh I thought that I should modify the front panel so suit my needs. I was lucky that my father, who provided me with the mesh, could make some custom cuts.
Here’s the original front panel (which I have scratched a bit) and my 1mm steel mesh on the side.
48369060.jpg

I remove the “mesh” of the Prodigy. It’s pretty thin and light, nothing fancy, but it works :)
76557780.jpg

Test mounting what is to be done! :D
93339339.jpg

I mark the spots where I will use the rivet gun. I had to drill up the holes a little bit with a 2mm drill. No problems doing that tho :)
78611075.jpg

I did the same with the front panel. I marked where I wanted the mounting holes and I then drilled in the plastic front panel.
76263677.jpg

The front panel with 4 drilled holes - one in each corner.
84047275.jpg

And here’s the rivet gun! I’m very excited to see the results.
26469368.jpg

The new modified front panel with real 1mm thick steel mesh! All that is left to do is mount it! :)
65943729.jpg

And here’s the final result! I was so satisfied with the results that I’ll give you a double sized image, haha! I think it turned out great and looks amazingly good, as I love the look of steel and mesh. I like the industrial feeling :)
55635834.jpg

This was, as I said, a small update because I couldn’t resist to share it! :D

I got a few more mesh-parts than what I used in this project, I wonder what I will use those for? ;)

Hope you liked this update (even if you don’t like mesh), hehe :)

I’d love to hear what you think about it!
Thanks for following this log

Take care!
Best Regards
Nikkop

Hi there!

Hope you're all doing great! :)

I just wanted to let you know that I've made the next modification/moment for the next update. The only thing that's left with that update is the selection and fix of all the pictures and the writing of the update (it actually takes quite some time! :) )

I'm at the moment at my family's house in another town, and I couldn't bring my whole computer there, unfortunately.
However, I managed to fit my beloved Big Bro' Prodigy inside the baggage! :) I had to remove all the rivets but I managed to get it down, haha.
resuu.jpg

But as I said, the modification is done. All I need to do now is to write the update and such stuff which takes some time. I hope I can get it done by this week :)

Hope you want to see some more updates! :D

Thanks in advance
Best Regards
nikkop

updatexg.jpg

Modification of the top - 16/06 -2013

UPDATE 16/06 - 2013

YOYO WHATSUP!
Hope you're all good :)
Here's an update from me about how I modified the top of the case. I did some sawing to change the looks and the function of it and I even mounted another piece of mesh, just like the front panel.
Why and what I did is to be seen below, so let's go! :)

Here's the case with the mesh on top for test-mounting. This is how I want it to be attached.
53375543.jpg

16418976.jpg

So I get some help from my beloved tools :) I drill holes in both the mesh and in the top panel of the case
24812307.jpg

39398219.jpg

54518373.jpg

The rivets look like small cute antennas on the case, haha :) Right before they are being struck into the case.
43648174r.jpg

10883418.jpg

So the mesh is in place! I like having the mesh on more than one place, so I try to use it where it can be used for a function and where it looks good :)
34585519.jpg

25271483.jpg

93840525.jpg

Since I've now attached the mesh I think it has to surve some kind of purpose, why would I otherwise place it there? (other from the looks, haha) :)
I can't nor want to use the original 2x 120mm fan mounting in the top so I'm getting rid of it. I think that stuff you don't use and doesn't fill a purpose, get rid of it! ;)
Since I drilled out all the rivets to be able to transport the case in my suitcase the case is in a couple of pieces :p However, here's the top and the rear panel.
91817515.jpg

So here I've put some tape on where and what to saw. Have you figured out yet what and why? :D
I was of course forced to remove the mesh I recently attached, to be able to saw. What a waste of rivets, haha :)
29077282.jpg

So let's get some work done!
14434196.jpg

So what I wanted to saw is now done.
The edges are still rough and not fixed. I'll fix them all later on when I grind all of the edges from the cutting. This will of course be done once I'm done with all the sawing/cutting :)
83361255.jpg

65304219.jpg

And here's the reason why I did the cut! I, of course, wanted to be able to mount a couple of fans in the top. I'll use a minimum of 2x 120mmm fans, perhaps larger if I can get them in :)
85197210.jpg

After I did the modification above I thought that the hole I did was a little too small. Sure, the space was enough for what I wanted to use it for, but I didn't think it was particulary nice that you could see the traces of the original top.
So I placed some new tape of what and where I want to cut :)
u8mm.jpg

This time my dad got an idea of using an angle grinder instead. A new friend of mine I can tell you, it worked amazingly good.
f1ly.jpg

wlc7.jpg

And here's how the new hole turned out. I myself think that the hole is better this way as you don't see any trace of how it looked before. Anyway this ain't entirely done. I will even out/smooth the edges, grind them and then paint the top. It's now rough cut to show what it will look like, but there's little work left with that :)
62ut.jpg

Test-mounted and it looks good if you ask me! The positive thing is that I can mount fans in the top, which I will of course do :)
And you can barely see the hole thru the mesh, wonderful :)
Also that is plays along great in color and structure with the mesh I put in the front and the back. I will have some mesh on/inside the case so that a big part of the case is covered :)
d4tj.jpg
t

So that was about the top! As I mentioned it's rough cut and I will even the edges out, grind and paint the case. Even if the top won't be visible under the mesh it's a good feeling knowing that it's done in a proper and good way :)
I've already started on the next update so it will be out in a while :)

Please do not hesitate to comment or ask questions, I get happy when people respond :)

Thank you for reading and following!

Best Regards
Nikkop

Wow! Impressive mod, this is my favourite case at the moment and it is exciting to see someone squeeze an ATXe board in it too, the raised floor makes it ideal for bottom mounting the I/O ports too.

I'm amazed there is space behind the motherboard for an ATX PSU though. If that is the case, then there should be lots of space for mounting a few drives too! I think 2x 3.5" and 2x 2.5" drives is the sweet spot for hackintosh builds. 2x SSDs for dual booting windows and OSX, and then a nice big redundant storage array for them both to use. (Ok, maybe 3x 3.5" drives for raid 5 goodness!)

Wow! Impressive mod, this is my favourite case at the moment and it is exciting to see someone squeeze an ATXe board in it too, the raised floor makes it ideal for bottom mounting the I/O ports too.

I'm amazed there is space behind the motherboard for an ATX PSU though. If that is the case, then there should be lots of space for mounting a few drives too! I think 2x 3.5" and 2x 2.5" drives is the sweet spot for hackintosh builds. 2x SSDs for dual booting windows and OSX, and then a nice big redundant storage array for them both to use. (Ok, maybe 3x 3.5" drives for raid 5 goodness!)

Thanks a bunch man! :)
Indeed, without the "feet" I would't be able to have all the ports point down and I wouldn't be able to hide the cables. This way the cables will barely be visible, it's nice :D

You are correct about the HDD's! I'm planning on mounting 2x regular HDD's and additional SSD's. The HDD's will fit and I have already tried it out :) The SSD's can be mounted a little here and there so no problems about that, haha :D
I do currently have 1x 1TB drive and a 500GB drive, and then 2x 120GB SSDs. The space is more than enough for me :)

But so far I can promise you that there will be some mechanical HDD's inside the case, not only SSD's! :)

Thanks again
/nikkop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back