Contribute
Register

[Project]: Big Bro' Prodigy (Extreme BitFenix Prodigy mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe Yes I understand , I'm just impatient thats all :D

Hah, so am I! :D

But, I'm nice enough to share a teaser with you! ;)

Enjoy!

teasek.jpg

Best Regards
Nikkop

UPDAAAAAAAAAATE! :D

Modification of the motherboard plate and test fitting the PSU and the motherboard. - 03/2 -2013

Hey,

Hope everyone is doing well and that you’re hungry for an update! I myself have been pretty busy trying to finish a college course and an examination assignment in another course.
I have now had time to process all the images and do a update!

This update will be about how I modify the motherboard plate to fit on the chassis, how I test mount power supply (many want to see this) and how it will look like with a motherboard test fitted! (What the teaser image was about) :)

Enjoy! Do not forget to comment or ask if you have any questions! :)

Ok, ok, we begin by looking at how the motherboard tray’s I/O panel relate in size to the chassis!
As we see, it is a little bit off the page and will not go getting into the case, modification must be done!
58560313.jpg

I throw in the motherboard tray before modification to show that it is too long/wide and modification must be done.
65977899.jpg

I select what is to be cut off by first drawing a line and then add a bit of tape so I know how much to remove.
38597296.jpg

I tighten the plate to the kitchen table and prepare the jigsaw. Here it should be slaughtered! :)
(My girlfriend is worried each time I saw in the kitchen that I would "accidentally" cut in her nice table! :p )
37189100.jpg

We pull up and saw on! Can tell you that there is quite a lot of metal splinters flying here and there and sawed metal does not smell like flowers!
Do not forget to sweep up everything as it is barely visible, but becomes large piles of metal shavings if you sweep it up.
79902548.jpg

We try inserting the plate in the chassis when it has been sawn, and yes, it fits nicely!
You may wonder why I put it inside the chassis and it is because I want to see how it relates to the size and when I test fit, I have to have it inside the chassis because I haven’t sawn a hole in the bottom of the chassis yet.
22024773.jpg

However, we are not done yet! I have more to be done on this sheet and now you will see why!
Here is a sheet metal piece with the PCI-brackets, that's where you mount the video card/expansion card.
72123549.jpg

I follow the contours for the PCI-bracket and mark with a pencil so I know how much space it takes, even if I would take the brackets off.
61785123.jpg

There, now marked with masking tape what will be removed. I pull up the saw and saw on!
42274686.jpg

And here we have the results!
You probably wonder why I cut off so much of the plate width so it became thinner? - Keep reading! ;)
86345636.jpg

Here is the plate inside the chassis! Sitting really good and just as I wished!
As you can see the tray’s I/O is now smaller but closer to one edge of the chassis!
Why? Well it gives me the space behind the motherboard plate. There I can put stuff that will not be seen through the chassis window.
Why would I want that?
17172356.jpg

Tadaaaaaaaa!
Yes, you see that right! The power supply will be placed behind the motherboard plate. In this way, it will not be visible through the window. There is also more space that will be used. For what we will see in the future! ;) But PSU placement is fixed and it is perfect!
unboxing and review of the power supply comes at a later stage when I had time to try it!
11135159.jpg

57207974.jpg

55616497.jpg

PS! As you can see in the pictures, it is the power supply back placed against the front of the chassis.
Of course it will not look like this later, but it was just to show that it fits! :)
The power supply back will be placed against the back of the chassis, of course!
97355623.jpg

45094580.jpg

So okay.
Now we have modified the motherboard tray’s I/O plate to fit inside the chassis, and also managed to place the power supply.
But how will it look like with a motherboard in place?
I test fit a little fast with an old Gigabyte Motherboards for AM3 CPU.
This is not the motherboard that will be used later.
68547351.jpg

66629147.jpg

I myself am very pleased so far and believe that this project will be awesooome to the end! I am at the beginning of the modification but it has begun to take shape, I’m so thrilled!

Or what do you think? :) Do you like the placement of the motherboard and power supply? :)
I myself am happy to say that I see much potential in this building and how compact and powerful you can get it.

I am more than happy to listen and hear what you have to say! So just comment on!

Hope you enjoyed this update!

Next update will involve unboxing and similar of Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7.
Take care and thanks in advance!
Best Regards
Nikkop

Awesome Nikko ! I'm so glad you went with the I/O ports at the bottom of the chassis , It looks amazing ! :D

Can you still fit a GPU in there even with the mobo being pushed forward a little ?

Thanks! :D

Awesome Nikko ! I'm so glad you went with the I/O ports at the bottom of the chassis , It looks amazing ! :D

Can you still fit a GPU in there even with the mobo being pushed forward a little ?

Thanks a bunch! :D
Yea that way the cables will be less visible plus I can have fans or a radiator at the top.

I should be able to fit a GPU yes :)
The only thing that may come in the way are the power connectors to the GPU, but in that case I can move the tray back a little and still have enough place for the PSU behind, so it shouldn't be an issue :)

Best Regards
Nikkop

This is really coming together nice. Can't wait to see the next update.

this is so much fun to follow,
i don't see the point of anything bigger than mATX,
but the "because i can" rule is simply the best :D

Mad props for doing this!

This is really coming together nice. Can't wait to see the next update.

Thanks a lot! :)
Should be coming soon. I've been on a trip to Budapest this week so I'll try to get it done soon! :)

this is so much fun to follow,
i don't see the point of anything bigger than mATX,
but the "because i can" rule is simply the best :D

Mad props for doing this!

Thanks a bunch! :D
Exactly! "Just because I can" is the deal, haha.
I don't even own a graphics card! lol :D

I've just spent all afternoon reading G5 unlocked and now this, I have to say you're a natural born modded, kudos to you sir.

I can't help thinking that this latest project may not be far off from what we all hope Apple will produce for the new Mac Pro. Have you ever considered building a fully immersed in mineral oil machine? Utterly silent!

Hi fellow readers at tonymacX86! Below is an update for you!

I've just spent all afternoon reading G5 unlocked and now this, I have to say you're a natural born modded, kudos to you sir.

I can't help thinking that this latest project may not be far off from what we all hope Apple will produce for the new Mac Pro. Have you ever considered building a fully immersed in mineral oil machine? Utterly silent!

Thanks a bunch man! Appreciate it :D
Let's see what Apple does to the Mac Pro, but the Mac Pro case is beautiful! haha.

I've thought about the mineral oil but I'm not sure! It must be cooled in some way or it will heat up.
Maybe next project! ;)

Anyways! Here's an update for all of you!
First of all I'd like to say I'm terribly sorry that it has taken this time. No one is to blame (besides myself) but I did have some really bad luck regarding some stuff that prolonged the making of this update a lot. What has taken a lot of time because of some stuff not working as they should is the video.

Thanks for understanding,

Here it is!

UPDAAAAAAATE! : D

Unboxing of GIGABYTE z77x-UP7 and test-mounting in the case - 12/03 -2013

UPDATE 12/3 to 2013

Hello dear readers!

I've finally managed to fix material for a new update. A lot of crap got in the way. First my SD card would die, then the microphone wouldn't want to work, then had my computer formatted etc.etc. Everything that could happen did happen :(

Here's the update thou! :)

This update will be mostly about unboxing of the motherboard GA-Z77X-UP7.
The unboxing will be in the form of a Video and photographs of the box, the products supplied within and the way motherboard looks inside the chassis! :)
Hope you'll like it!

If you're wondering when more modifications will be made on the case I can tell you that next update will for sure be about some sort of work around the case.
This update, like I said will be an unboxing of the motherboard.

I'm also using my new macro lens in this update, so do not forget to look at the pictures! >:)

Let's go! Yiihooo!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

That said, there will be an unboxing video complemented with pictures and text.
Here is the video anyway :) (My first unboxing video ever ^_^)

Video
LINK TO THE VIDEO
[video=youtube;HpMu_Oi06PM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HpMu_Oi06PM[/video]

Complements with pictures and text:

Front:
Here we see the box itself. It is quite big and deep, of course, to make room for all accessories and extra stuff.
63592291.jpg

Symbols/Labels
Here are the labels that I said I would explain in this log:

• GIGABYTE OC Motherboard - GIGABYTE's official Overclocking motherboards.
  • 32 +3 +2 Phase Power - This motherboard has 32 power phases for the CPU, 3 for the Intel HD Graphics and 2 for the of VTT (voltage to the RAM).
  • Ultra Durable ™ 5 - Name of the durable components that are used on the motherboard.
  • World Record 7.102GHz - This motherboard has kept the world record for Overclocking with an Intel Core i7 3770k. The clock speed was 7.102Ghz.
  • Best of Computex 2012 - Tom's Hardware has appointed this motherboard's components ( Ultra Durable ™ 5 ) to "Best of Computex 2012".
  • BlueTooth 4.0 + 300 Mbps Dual Band Wi-Fi - Features on the wireless networking card.
91330327.jpg

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

The back :

Here is some information on the motherboard and its properties. The ones I feel are important, I will take up here but also go through when it comes to the review of the motherboard (another update):

• Support for up to 4x Graphics , at the same time.
  • OC BIOS - backup BIOS in case such the primary would become corrupt or fail.
  • OC-Touch - Buttons for live adjust of the CPU ratio, BCLK, etc. (live overclocking)
  • " True All Digital PWM Design "
69287339.jpg

Cover/Lid:

• IR3550 PowIRStage - Highest rated and most awarded Power Stage in the industry.
  • 2x Copper PCB - double copper layer on the PCB.
16785689.jpg

The Motherboard

Here we have the motherboard, the monster Z77X-UP7 ! (Attached to a motherboard plate).
As we can see pretty quickly it's a highend motherboard with many PCI-E lanes many SATA ports ( 10 to be exact ) and some other features such as Debug LED and many types of connections . It also has some other surprising properties (which are not visible in the picture but I will go through in the review), eg 2x 8PIN connector to the CPU (EPS12V) for additional power supplyment , for example Extreme Overclocking . It has also, as I mentioned above, 32 +3 +2 power phases overclocking buttons 2x Ethernet ports etc.

I will as I said go through all of that when it comes to doing a review on the motherboard. Here's however a couple of pictures on the z77x-UP7! :)
40437201.jpg

64459173.jpg

74729389.jpg

69374158.jpg

I continue with pictures of the contents and some explanatory text

All content is placed on a table so we can see them all! :)
84181495.jpg

CF & SLI Bridges - So we can run multiple graphics cards simultaneously.
  • Crossfire bridge for dual AMD graphics cards.
  • SLI bridge for dual Nvidia graphics cards.
  • 3x SLI bridge for triple Nvidia graphics card.
  • 4x SLI bridge for four Nvidia graphics card.
87626217.jpg

3.5" USB 3.0 Bracket - A solution so we get 2 USB 3.0 ports.
86035709.jpg

WiFi & BlueTooth Expansion card - So we can run WiFi and BlueTooth on a desktop computer, wireless!
I am looking extra forward to this as I have an ethernet cable through the whole apartment which is just in the way all the time. Wireless internet will solve this nice!
58791639.jpg

eSATA Bracket - Solution to example run internal hard drives as externals.
Looking forward to this solution as I have an internal hard drive that I move around with sometimes.
22893542.jpg

Measure-voltage cables - Cables for reading genuine hardware voltages in the motherboard.
Should be fun to read hardware voltages and compare with those softwares are reporting.
56603539.jpg

GIGABYTE sticker! - Mount it wherever you want! ^ _ ^
15700683.jpg

In addition to the above, I have shown you that we get 6x SATA cables , motherboard manuals, drivers for the chipset and expansion card and such things.___________________________________________ _________________________________________

The motherboard in the case:

Now we have seen the motherboard a bit, but how does it look in the case?
I took a picture with the motherboard in the case to see how the final product will look like, and to be honest, I was very impressed!
This will be badass, looking forward to it a lot!

The case without feet and handles.
93817117.jpg

The complete case, however without the side plate.
The colors just goes so extremely well togheter, I'm impressed! Imagine this color scheme, gah! Loving it! :D
86241539.jpg

Finally:
That's what I had to show you this time!
Sorry this update has taken its time. I shouldn't blame anything but myself but I've messed up and in addition this video has actually taken a long time to do :) Took a lot of time to do the voice-overs (I had to record the voice after the video). But now it's ready and hope you liked it!

The next update will be with some modification, of course! I'm sick psyched to continue modifying and hope you are trhilled for it aswell :)
However, I can say as a warning that next update might take a while.
The reason is that I have been appointed " Test Pilot " for the Asus PadFone 2 . I will be using the product for a specific time and then do some kind of work (atm I have a diary, a thread at a forum and so on). Since this "test pilot thing" has a deadline, I will prioritize that for the moment :)
Since I also have an exam coming and two courses to be completed, some time will be spent there.
But an update will come eventually! :)

Comment or question if you'd like please, I get happy when people write! :)
Thank you for reading and following!

Have a nice day,
Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Nikkop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back