Contribute
Register

[Project]: Big Bro' Prodigy (Extreme BitFenix Prodigy mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subbed !!! First off , Fantastic mod my friend :D I've been waiting for someone to do/try this and it looks awesome,Amazing job !
Wasn't it possible to have the I/O ports at the bottom of the chassis ?

Subbed !!! First off , Fantastic mod my friend :D I've been waiting for someone to do/try this and it looks awesome,Amazing job !
Wasn't it possible to have the I/O ports at the bottom of the chassis ?

Thanks for the words and the sub mate! :) Appreciate it.

Having the I/O ports at the bottom is possible, but there may be problem with fitting some cables due to how large they are and how they are shaped. Fitting an DVI/HDMI or an USB-cable might be problematic.
Also by having the I/O at the top the I/O will be a lot easier to reach (don't have to turn the case over every time) and at the same time it will look better inside the case with the motherboard properly orianted! :)

Thanks again!
Hope you enjoy this project!

Best Regards
Nikkop

Although the UP7 is cool with its x16/x16 bandwidth and awesome overclocking potential from an 1155 socket, it still has the VIA VL800 chip, which makes 4 of the 6 rear I/O ports unusable (at least last time I heard).

Maybe you are just using the board for the EATX form factor instead of an actual build?

With the connectors facing upwards, what are you going to do about keeping dust/etc out of them? Most ports are designed to be side-or-downwards facing for a reason.

Hi,

I don't think dust would be an issue, however I've considered perhaps placing the motherboard on the other side, facing the ports down.
I have to check the compability with the different cables to be used in the I/O slot and from the PCI-E cards.
In case they do fit under the case, there's a chance I might go with the ports facing down :)

Best Regards
Nikkop

Although the UP7 is cool with its x16/x16 bandwidth and awesome overclocking potential from an 1155 socket, it still has the VIA VL800 chip, which makes 4 of the 6 rear I/O ports unusable (at least last time I heard).

Maybe you are just using the board for the EATX form factor instead of an actual build?

Hi,

I'm not aware of that. Hopefully that has been fixed, not fun too have such an issue on such an expensive motherboard :(

About the E-ATX form factor, I chose it mainly because I wanted to fit the largest possible motherboard into this m-ITX case, at the same time as it have the looks and things I like (overclocking features and such).
The z77x-up7 was pretty much the best choice, but now that you've mentioned the problems with the chip we'll see.
Hopefully it works well! :)

Best Regards
Nikkop

looking forward to seeing your latest progress :cool:

Hi, thanks!
Here it is!
Enjoy! :D

UPDAAAAAAATE! : D

Modification and creation of side panel with a window. - 05/01 -2013

UPDATE 05/1 - 2013

Hello dear friends and companions!
Hope you all had a nice and enjoyable Christmas and a great New Year! :)

I myself have been down in my former city where I visited my family and friends for Christmas and New Year.
This does not mean that I had a vacation from project, oh no! ;)
Instead, I took some time and worked with the side panel to get it done just the way I want it.

Eager to result? :)

Let's begin! ;)

Here we see the first picture in this update. Nothing fancy, it's one of the side plate with holes (when motherboard position is in original condition) will be able to take in air through the holes for the graphics card.
I chose this site because it is the one we will look through to see into the chassis. In any case, you can put the side panel on the side of the chassis you want, which is good if you want it on the other side.
43837068.jpg

Since I will have a plexiglass window in the side panel I must saw a hole where I want the glass to be.
I tape across the front so that the jigsaw tool won’t hurt and leave mark on the plate.
45264260.jpg

I'm testing with a drill to see how hard the plate is to drill through, and trust me when I say that this plate is thick and stable!
This is thin crap, it’s quite thick and solid.
47763148.jpg

I measure how far I'm going to cut the hole.
One side on the back of the side plate, this piece that helps the plate to attach to the chassis, which means I can not cut the hole farther than what this piece is, so therefore I use this piece for measures when I decide how large the hole will be.
16048305.jpg

I turn the plate over and draw on the tape which works well, attaches great.
I also have rounded corners and I do this with the help of a lid of the appropriate size :)
29533290.jpg

Now I have drawn out the dimensions and what remains is to cut out the hole.
I start by drilling a hole near the edge. I must have somewhere to stick my saw and begin cutting.
43528002.jpg

Once the hole is drilled, just run down the jigsaw and start cutting!
Since the side plate is pretty thick it takes some time to get through, and turns in the corners requires a steady hand.
92488470.jpg

Finally the piece got off! Now we can see how big the hole will be and how much space the glass will take.
Removing the tape to see how it looks without and actually surprisingly good! Edges, lengths and such are not 100% straight but I fix it afterwards using a dremel with grinding nozzle.
48026696.jpg

I test tried to attach the glass after I had sanded the edges, but I did not like it. I thought something was missing and felt that it needed something to fill out, something pretty.
14166992.jpg

So I went and looked at different types of edging lists and it ended up I bought one of these, 9mm edge strip of rubber.
69083960.jpg

Mounting the edging and the results are really nice! Even if a rim is mainly used to disguise / hide the edges, for me it was a really nice feature that I liked very much. It fits in terms of design and I like it quite a lot! :D
84573710.jpg

So, now that the side panel has been sawn and got a nice edging, so I want to see how it looks when the side plate is in place on the chassis!
It may look like crap, who knows?
I must say I like it!
I was really pleased with size of the hole, the rounded edges and the rim.
89733512.jpg

What is missing then? Well, plexiglass course!
I test fit the plexiglass to see how it will look. I have another piece of plexiglass coming up because this was a little too short to be attached the way I wanted, it is now temporarily attached with double-stapled tape just to see how it looks.
But yes, I am satisfied and happy with the outcome! :) What do you say?
56290188.jpg

23812943.jpg

I was very pleased with the result. If I manage to keep the same quality the rest of the modification, I think this modification will turn out to be brutally good, hopefully! >:)

What did you think of this step , when I modified the side plate? :)
I’ll be more than happy to read your comments and thoughts!

We'll see what the next step will be, the school has begun to pick up again and it will take some time. But tension remains stronger than ever and it itches in my fingers every day when I look at the case :)

Have a nice day!
Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Nikkop

Absolutely awesome Nikko ! Keep up the good work :D

Can you tell me where you bought the rubber strip from ? I can't seem to find any anywhere !

Absolutely awesome Nikko ! Keep up the good work :D

Can you tell me where you bought the rubber strip from ? I can't seem to find any anywhere !

Thanks a lot! :D

I bought it at a warehouse in Sweden that sells stuff for construction, cars, bathroom, renovation and stuff.
This rubber strip is actually for cars, I think, at least that's the section I got it from lol :D

But go and look for a warehouse selling stuff for cars, houses and stuff and I'm sure you'll find it :)

Best Regards
Nikkop

Any updates for us Nikko? :)

Hi!

I've been working on the project but I'm not done with the step for this update so that's why I haven't made an update yet :p
I have a few things left to do before I can make it a full update.
My vision is not to post small meaningless updates, instead I post full updates where one update is a whole step in the modification, if you understand? :D

But it should come soon enough! Haha x)

Thanks
Best Regards
Nikko

Hi!

I've been working on the project but I'm not done with the step for this update so that's why I haven't made an update yet :p
I have a few things left to do before I can make it a full update.
My vision is not to post small meaningless updates, instead I post full updates where one update is a whole step in the modification, if you understand? :D

But it should come soon enough! Haha x)

Thanks
Best Regards
Nikko

Hehe Yes I understand , I'm just impatient thats all :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back