Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the help.

So looking into that, it looks like the relevant part of the guide would be:
"Others report that replacing EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi with OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi fixes it."

Someone mentioned something about installing Clover onto a spare USB drive and grabbing the right file from that. The post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/el-capitan-wont-boot-after-installing.174147/#post-1115003

I'm going to try this and report back.
If that does not work, try https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2-g_coTRnPnaU53Z1F6Qm5OeXM/view?pref=2&pli=1
This one worked for me on X99M Killer when none of the others would work.

So, I went ahead and installed Clover to a spare USB, but the OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi file was nowhere to be found. I'm pretty sure I followed that user's post to the letter, and the drivers64UEFI directory only contained:
  • FSInject-64.efi
  • OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
  • VBoxHfs-64.efi
So I'm really not sure how to get this needed file now.

If that does not work, try https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2-g_coTRnPnaU53Z1F6Qm5OeXM/view?pref=2&pli=1
This one worked for me on X99M Killer when none of the others would work.

Thanks for providing that— before I try it out, is there any risk of making my system unbootable if it doesn't work?

So, I went ahead and installed Clover to a spare USB, but the OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi file was nowhere to be found. I'm pretty sure I followed that user's post to the letter, and the drivers64UEFI directory only contained:
  • FSInject-64.efi
  • OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
  • VBoxHfs-64.efi
So I'm really not sure how to get this needed file now.

Thanks for providing that— before I try it out, is there any risk of making my system unbootable if it doesn't work?
No. It made mine bootable. Eliminated the Aptiofix errors and "unable to set runtime area" errors completely.

ok found solution for me !!!

It was simply the USB Stick ... I have a bunch of newer and faster ones, no one made it ... I took my 2014 and 13 Transcends ... and did simply use

- Unibeast
- copy Multibeast on the Stick, thats it.

3 of 3 old Sticks booting and installing with Intel 530 or nv_disable=1 and card ...

funny ... took me 5 days ... f***

I get the same periodic error on boot up as well. I get it even if I haven't booted Windows for a long time. Meaning I'll use OS X one day, shut down, come back the next day and get the symbol. Turn off the computer and turn it back on and it boots fine. Started doing this without having done anything to the system that I can think of except for updating DaVinci Resolve from 12.3.2 to 12.5 beta. That's all. I have OS X 10.11.4 installed.

Last edited:
No. It made mine bootable. Eliminated the Aptiofix errors and "unable to set runtime area" errors completely.

Awesome! I went ahead and swapped it into my EFI drive. System booted up just fine. Haven't tried it enough times to confirm that the prohibitory symbol errors are gone just yet, but it sure seems promising. I'll keep those watching the thread informed. THANKS!

I get the same periodic error on boot up as well. I get it even if I haven't booted Windows for a long time. Meaning I'll used OS X one day, shut down, come back the next day and get the symbol. Turn of the computer and turn it back on and it boots fine. Started doing this without having done anything to the system that I can think of except for updating DaVinci Resolve from 12.3.2 to 12.5 beta. That's all. I have OS X 10.11.4 installed.

Have you tried Going Bald's solution above? It's super easy. Just download EFI Mounter, select the right disk and mount the EFI partition, go to EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder, remove the "Aptio" file which will be labeled as either OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi or OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi, and replace it with the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi file from this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2-g_coTRnPnaU53Z1F6Qm5OeXM/view?pref=2&pli=1

Granted, I'm running 10.11.5, but I imagine it should work just as well for you on 10.11.4.

Quick update for everyone, I can say without doubt now that this has solved my problem. No more prohibitory signs after several boots. Thank goodness!

And now I must return, with heavy heart, to say that I jumped the gun and I'm back to having the prohibitory symbol on bootup.

In fact, it's gotten so much worse, that after about 10 attempts (including booting to Windows and back to try OS X again), I have not been able to boot into my Mac side all day.

I don't know what would have changed anything, because I haven't done much of anything to my system aside from plugging in an additional SATA drive (data only, no OS).

I caught the new error text in verbose mode. Screenshot attached.

EDIT: Finally had a semi-successful OS X boot, but my sound wasn't working and no audio settings got changed. Hitting the volume up/down key with shift hold didn't make the chimes, although once in a while there was a very loud distorted, crackling "pop" sound while adjusting volume. Downloaded Multibeast 8.2.3 and ran it, fixed the audio issue but some of my boots are still failing with the prohibitory symbol appearing.

(Hate to say it, but after 5 years of Hackintosh usage and a boatload of patience, it's stuff like this that makes me consider ditching it altogether and switching over to Windows and/or a real Mac...)

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    523.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I have a similar issue. Perfectly working OS X install 10.11.4 and Windows 10 which I use for gaming.

When I boot OS X I get the prohibited sign all the time. Through trial and error I find its usb related and will hang on one of my usb ports. If I unplug a usb device and swap to another port it boots straight in. I have followed all the usb port guides for El Capitan to name each port etc. but no fix found.

Now I have a usb hub that runs everything so only one USB port in my computer.. Every time I get the sign I switch to another port and it boots on the next go. Still very annoying though as I boot between the two all the time.

Just in case there is a pattern...
Z170a msi gaming motherboard
32gb ddr4 gskill tridentZ
2x Gtx 980 hof
3x Samsung 850 ssd's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back