Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H370 HD3
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 570
Hello everybody, new member here!
Ive been planning on building a hackintosh for a long long time and now that I got the parts the journey begins,
Im trying to install macOS Mojave on this machine: CPU: i5 8600K (Corsair H60 water cooling), RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB, SSD: Samsung 860EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair RM750X, GPU: ASUS RX570 O4G GAMING (should be here in couple days so Im currently working with onboard graphics).
Im facing an error where prohibitory sign appears about half way through the installation setup boot (Ill attach the images).
Not sure if this is anything correlated but before this issue I had another one which this link helped me with: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-clover-update-r4586-disables-os-boot-black-screen.256050/ (before this couldn't even get to the apple logo).

To be clear Ive looked everywhere on this forum to fix this issue that Im facing and found bunch of people dealing with it, I tried the solutions other fellow members suggested and none of them worked...I always end up looking at the same nono symbol looking at me (if I remember correctly different text messages were written on the screen during booting with -v option in the Clover - this is while trying others peoples fixes).

Hope well work this out somehow

Attachments

• 520776A4-F5C3-4C54-91AC-69A5552E9EC4.JPG
    520776A4-F5C3-4C54-91AC-69A5552E9EC4.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    959.1 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 497
To elaborate a little on the previous answer... this happens when macOS tries to read your install drive and can't. Normally that means you're using a USB3 device, and your boot drive isn't set up to support USB3 on your board (commonly only USB2 is supported without customizing things). So you can either work out how to configured your flash drive to enable USB3, or just use a USB2 flash drive. Of the two, using a USB2 drive is typically much easier.

Search for still waiting for root device.

View attachment 377784
Ill do some research thanks for advice.

To elaborate a little on the previous answer... this happens when macOS tries to read your install drive and can't. Normally that means you're using a USB3 device, and your boot drive isn't set up to support USB3 on your board (commonly only USB2 is supported without customizing things). So you can either work out how to configured your flash drive to enable USB3, or just use a USB2 flash drive. Of the two, using a USB2 drive is typically much easier.

This seems like a legit explanation ...since I have like ten 3.0 USBs lying in my drawer, I was wondering if you knew which steps do I follow to configure a 3.0 USB so it works as it should, if not Ill try and do my own research tonight and if nothing helps I guess Im getting a 2.0 tomorrow

Well... background: macOS only allows 15 USB ports on a machine (an a USB3 port counts as one for the USB2 support plus one for the USB3 support). I think the Intel hardware allows up to 25 or thereabouts: 14 USB2, 9 USB3, and 2 others that I don't understand. Normally, this means on a default configuration macOS is set for 14 USB2 ports and 1 USB3 port (the first 15 possible ACPI IDs), but it's impossible to know which USB3 port that last one is, or whether in fact it's actually one that your motherboard uses. If you try every single USB3 port on case and backplane, you might get lucky and find it. Or you might not. But all the possible USB2 ports are in there, which is why a USB2 flash drive should always work.

The way to fix it "right" requires you to identify the ACPI IDs of all the USB ports on your motherboard and create an SSDT with up to 15 ports identified, and then use that in combination with USBInjectAll.kext. So you'd be telling macOS which 15 legitimate ports it should use, and it will ignore the rest. The procedure is here, for what it's worth. However, you can't do that if you can't get into the OS on your hardware, so that will be tricky. (Unless someone has posted one for your board that you can use -- but bear in mind that every board is different so it has to be for your exact board.)

There exists a "port limit patch" that goes in config.plist, and ups the limit in macOS from 15 to 25. That should allow your USB3 devices to work. I think UniBeast 9 includes a working port limit patch for 10.14.0, but the necessary patch changed in 10.14.1. There's another one kicking around that's supposed to work in 10.14.1+, but it hasn't worked for me in 10.14.2. I don't know what is required to get that to work in 10.14.2. So you'd have to poke around and experiment.

Your options are:
  1. Get a USB2 drive
  2. Install 10.13.6, 10.14.0, or 10.14.1 using a well-known and working port-limit patch. Then go through RehabMan's procedure linked above to generate a proper USB SSDT enabling the ports you want. If you do that, it will work the same in all releases of macOS. Then upgrade in place to 10.14.2.
  3. Figure out how to get the port limit patch working on 10.14.2. Though it is still best to go through the process in #2 (RehabMan has noted some possible problems with relying on the port-limit patch long-term), many people don't.

I hope you have already done the following before you booted the UEFI USB Installer Disk (USB3.0) in USB 3.0 Port of your GA_H370 HD3 MoBo:
  • Connected your macOS Mojave USB 3.0. UEFI Installer disk to USB 3.0 port at the back Panel of MoBo.(see Image-1 at the bottom of the list)
  • BIOS_Peripherals USB_ all ports enabled (see image)
  • Set your USB Installer as Auto (See Image)
  • Made your Mojave 14,2 UEFI USB 3.0 Installer as the First boot Device in BIOS_Boot Option Priority #1.
  • Saw your USB Installer at CBM screen to boot
If you do that and your CLOVER and its config.plist edited properly you should be able to boot it OK and you can later reach macOS Utilities Screen and launch Disk Utility and
  • Make the USB Installer visible in DU by choosing [√] Show ALL Devices

Attachments

• 1.Mojave14.2 USB 3.0.png
    1.Mojave14.2 USB 3.0.png
    261.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 2.Mojave 14.2 USB 3.0 .png
    2.Mojave 14.2 USB 3.0 .png
    436.5 KB · Views: 380
  • 3.BIOS Periphersla USB 3.0 UEFI Mojave .png
    3.BIOS Periphersla USB 3.0 UEFI Mojave .png
    1.6 MB · Views: 365
  • 4.Mojave14,2 USB 3.0 in CBM  Screen.png
    4.Mojave14,2 USB 3.0 in CBM Screen.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 488
  • 5.Mojave 14.2 USB 3.0 UEFI Installer Flash Disk in DU.png
    5.Mojave 14.2 USB 3.0 UEFI Installer Flash Disk in DU.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 311
  • 1.USB installer in USB 3.0 port Back.png
    1.USB installer in USB 3.0 port Back.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Today I went to the store and bought a 2.0 usb and I had the same error showing on the screen so just out of curiosity Ive put previous usb with installation media (which is 3.0) in the 3.0 port on motherboard and it worked!! I got to the installation part succesfully but there was another error...usb ports for mouse and keyboard didnt work (only one usb port on the motherboard worked and its a 3.1 gen 2 port) so I used that one and switched between mouse and keyboard (I know its pain in the ass but I wanted to finnish it so bad). Computer rebooted couple of times and the last time there were like 5 options in Clover to boot from (1. Boot macOS install from Mojave, 2. Boot FileVault prebooter from preboot, 3. Boot macOS Install prebooter from preboot, 4. Boot macOS from Mojave, 5. Boot recovery from recovery) and first time i chose 4th option and the loading bar went all the way and stopped there so i rebooted and chose 2nd option which did the same.

Actually dont know if this belongs in this thread but if necessary imma open a new one (some people also had this error and again I tried recommended solutions and it didnt work).

Today I went to the store and bought a 2.0 usb and I had the same error showing on the screen so just out of curiosity Ive put previous usb with installation media (which is 3.0) in the 3.0 port on motherboard and it worked!! I got to the installation part succesfully but there was another error...usb ports for mouse and keyboard didnt work (only one usb port on the motherboard worked and its a 3.1 gen 2 port) so I used that one and switched between mouse and keyboard (I know its pain in the ass but I wanted to finnish it so bad). Computer rebooted couple of times and the last time there were like 5 options in Clover to boot from (1. Boot macOS install from Mojave, 2. Boot FileVault prebooter from preboot, 3. Boot macOS Install prebooter from preboot, 4. Boot macOS from Mojave, 5. Boot recovery from recovery) and first time i chose 4th option and the loading bar went all the way and stopped there so i rebooted and chose 2nd option which did the same.

Actually dont know if this belongs in this thread but if necessary imma open a new one (some people also had this error and again I tried recommended solutions and it didnt work).
Did you forget to edit your CLOVER and config.plist properly?
It was underlined to get your attention.
Make sure you're config.plist_Devices_USB is edited with [√]Inject [√]FixOwnership in addition to adding USB support kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

Attachments

• 1.config.plist_Devices_USB.png
    1.config.plist_Devices_USB.png
    242 KB · Views: 541

To avoid problem deciding which Icon to choose to boot in Clover Boot Manager (CBM) screen after reboot following installation on an APFS formatted SSD or Spindisk, you should edit USB Installer's config.plist_Gui_Hide Volumes section with preboot added to the Hide Volumes list [See uploaded images]
If you do that you won't find all those unwanted icons showing up in CBM screen to cause the confusion and folks going on a trial and error method to boot!

Attachments

• 1.config.plist_Gui.png
    1.config.plist_Gui.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 305
  • 2.CBM screen Mojave SSD Reboot after Installation on APFS.png
    2.CBM screen Mojave SSD Reboot after Installation on APFS.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 290
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back