Contribute
Register

Prohibited Symbol (couldn't allocate runtime area) error on installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is weird. I hadn't run it as a Hackintosh for about a month because of the crashes and proliferation of EFI partitions when I looked at bcfg boot dump. (I ran it under Linux for that time). Then my project ran out of Linux GPU work, and I switched back to the OSX to get the GPU work available there, and it crashed something like hourly until my 12 year old rebooted the machine and it has 9+ days of uptime now.

So what did I do differently? Well, it could be the macOS Sierra 10.2.2 update, the NVIDIA webdriver update, the CUDA 8.X update, or that I made it so my display never sleeps. I suspect the stupid power management kext was causing the crash, even though I never allowed the computer to go to sleep, it was probably crashing when it tried to sleep the display.

Also weird: all this time with the prohibited symbol, simply trying again without changing the boot flags--doing exactly the same thing again--was successful, and sometimes you had to do it 2 or 3 times. WTH?

So now this thing is running nicely and all I need to do is follow the instructions Going Bald posted to get the audio working, which is not a high priority for what I am doing with this machine.

However, the CPU seems to be running much slower than it should. I've overclocked the i7-5820k from 3.3GHz to 4.2GHz, but it runs tasks like it is still running at 3.3GHz. Running Einstein@home gravity wave and Gamma Ray Pulsar work units on Linux is significantly faster (12-20%) than when I run the same machine as a Mac. This could be because the tasks I am running are poorly optimized for Mac, or something in my configuration as a Mac could be holding it back. The CPU gets up to 60C under Linux, and barely eeks over 48C as a Mac, so I am inclined to think this is a problem on the Mac end.

Last time I had issues with cpu not running at full speed it was because I had a boot flag that made the cpu use only one core. I don't think you have the same issue but it might be worth a shot double checking that.

Last time I had issues with cpu not running at full speed it was because I had a boot flag that made the cpu use only one core. I don't think you have the same issue but it might be worth a shot double checking that.

Thanks for the reply. I am fairly sure the only boot flag I am using is nv 3000, but there could be something in a dumb kext I don't know about. I do know that it is running all six cores and 12 threads, so I am certain its not running on one core.

I saw elsewhere that some are using MacPro 6,1 for the model, and I'm using iMac 14,1. Would that make a difference?

I know this thing is sandbagging on me, and I would really like to bring out its full potential.

Thanks for the reply. I am fairly sure the only boot flag I am using is nv 3000, but there could be something in a dumb kext I don't know about. I do know that it is running all six cores and 12 threads, so I am certain its not running on one core.

I saw elsewhere that some are using MacPro 6,1 for the model, and I'm using iMac 14,1. Would that make a difference?

I know this thing is sandbagging on me, and I would really like to bring out its full potential.
For best results use MacPro6,1 with Clover FakeCPUID and make the OS think it is on a X79 series with Ivy Bridge-E CPU

For best results use MacPro6,1 with Clover FakeCPUID and make the OS think it is on a X79 series with Ivy Bridge-E CPU

Will I need to completely re-install macOS Sierra if I do this? I tried this with Clover Configurator and it went really badly. I reverted back to iMac 14,2 and was able to start it up again.

Will I need to completely re-install macOS Sierra if I do this? I tried this with Clover Configurator and it went really badly. I reverted back to iMac 14,2 and was able to start it up again.
If you have a spare drive it is better to clone your working drive, make it bootable, and do all experimenting on the clone. Then, when you get it right, clone it back to the working drive and copy the Clover files from clone /EFI/Clover to Working /EFI/Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back