Contribute
Register

Prohibited Sign - Error loading kernel cache (0x7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello dear community,

My High Sierra build was working flawlessly until yesterday night and today I woke up to this problem...the infamous Prohibited sign on startup.

This is what verbose mode threw up:
IMG_3282.JPG

Starting in Safe mode is possible but as we know I can't mount the EFI partition.

Can someone please help me out? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated!

Look forward to read your ideas! Please let me know if I can provide more information.

Thanks in advance

Ok...so it was a Hard Drive that I recently swapped in.

I had an old 3TB Seagate Barracuda that was dying on me so I got a 4TB Samsung QVO SSD. In order to make the data transfer from the dying HDD into the SSD I took another drive out of the case and put the new SSD in.
When I finished copying all the data that I could into the new drive I took out the Seagate and put the other drive that I had taken out back in but using the SATA cable/port that used to belong to the Seagate Drive.

I needed to give the new SSD the same name that my old Seagate had because I had Sample libraries that were linked to that drive/path.

Everything was working nicely until yesterday. The only thing that I did yesterday was actually relinking to the Kontakt plug-in some NI Kontakt libraries residing on that drive. Maybe it was that process that made the file system go bananas?

Anyway when this kernel panic/prohibited sign thingy happened today I started to kernel panic too...Tried everything I found online...which wasn't much and of course didn't help with my problem.
Until a friend of mine suggested that I should try disconnecting the new drive, so I did and the System booted again.

Since I need that drive working I reconnected it but using the SATA Port and cable I was using before with the dying Seagate Drive.

Now everything is working again but before I edit this thread as "SOLVED" I would like to make sure that this fixed the problem.

Does anyone have an idea if that could've been the cause for the kernel panic?

Anyway if my experience can help someone else in distress, happy to share :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back