Contribute
Register

Prohibited sign booting USB installer BigSur 11.4 (Asus TUF Gaming Z490 Plus / OC 0.7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to try a bunch of new USB sticks. It's just taking time to compile :D
I will post once I've tried those!

Definitely try either of the back-panel USB ports below the PS/2 port.

With USBInjectAll.kext these should be live whatever.

Check the version of Big Sur you are using. 11.3+ have USB changes making them tricky.

Suggestions - try a different system-definition. iMac20,2 is not my favourite. iMac19,1 might be better.

SecureBootModel change to "Disable"

May help ...

I've tried with a new USB stick, this time with BigSur 11.2 installer.
There is absolutely no difference between the two sticks in terms of errors. It happens at the same moment.

(I've tried SecureBootModel Disabled as well)

I've tried with a new USB stick, this time with BigSur 11.2 installer.
There is absolutely no difference between the two sticks in terms of errors. It happens at the same moment.

(I've tried SecureBootModel Disabled as well)

Okay.

Not making sense but clearly something is awry.

So you still get the prohibited symbol at the end?

This is ususally a sign that the system is not bootable, often caused when USB becomes deactivated during the change from POST to OS control.

You can test this by checking a USB keyboard. When the USB sub-system is off-line the Caps-Lock LED no longer works etc.

Otherwise recheck your BIOS settings and ensure they are as recommended.

Okay.

Not making sense but clearly something is awry.

So you still get the prohibited symbol at the end?

This is ususally a sign that the system is not bootable, often caused when USB becomes deactivated during the change from POST to OS control.

You can test this by checking a USB keyboard. When the USB sub-system is off-line the Caps-Lock LED no longer works etc.

Otherwise recheck your BIOS settings and ensure they are as recommended.

Still get the prohibited symbol yes.
I checked all the BIOS settings. They are correct.

The Caps-lock indeed doesn't light up anymore.

Well, after 8 hours in a row trying stuff, I still haven't progress.
Is there another way to achieve this?

Still get the prohibited symbol yes.
I checked all the BIOS settings. They are correct.

The Caps-lock indeed doesn't light up anymore.

Okay.

Then it is likely your USB sub-system needs configuring.

I'm still referring to the EFI folder you uploaded in post #14 so if you've changed anything, I don't know that.

As such, a couple of things to try.

1) Update USBInjectAll.kext to 0.7.7 - the version you are using (0.7.1) does not have system-definition iMac20.2 included, it only goes as far as iMac19,1.

If using Big Sur 11.2 you can use the XhciPortLimit quirk to enable every port going.

2) Test disable SSDT-RHUB.aml - this is indeed needed for some older Asus boards. Not sure if yours needs it.

:)

Okay.

Then it is likely your USB sub-system needs configuring.

I'm still referring to the EFI folder you uploaded in post #14 so if you've changed anything, I don't know that.

As such, a couple of things to try.

1) Update USBInjectAll.kext to 0.7.7 - the version you are using (0.7.1) does not have system-definition iMac20.2 included, it only goes as far as iMac19,1.

If using Big Sur 11.2 you can use the XhciPortLimit quirk to enable every port going.

2) Test disable SSDT-RHUB.aml - this is indeed needed for some older Asus boards. Not sure if yours needs it.

:)
Damn, that was strange to download file from a 3 years old Gitlab. That's the one causing the problem maybe.
I've been able to find version 0.7.6 but not 0.7.7. Anyway, things are moving forward.
I removed SSDT-RHUB, just to try.

It has passed the USB problem. Now I have a new one. I will post an update once I've tested some stuff to fix it.
Thanks!

Last edited:
So,

SSDT-RHUB was causing the issue.
The USBInjectAll 0.7.7 doesn't work at all. However, 0.7.6 does.

I'm not really sure what to look at here.

IMG_20210618_174037.jpg

Investigation continues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back