Contribute
Register

Probook Installers...Which Best & Easiest To Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
i7-2630QM
CPU
2.0GHz
Graphics
1GB AMD Radeon HD 6490M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
i'm a newbie, gonna install ML soon
i am uncertain which to use
seems there are 3 installers?
i remember an old one i used for 10.7.3 by "tonymac" i believe
then came this Version 4 which looks nice by "tegezee" i believe (very menu driven)
then i see a V.5b2 by "iOSBeast" (which seems a bit more manual process)

and then which .kext is what, for what purpose, which do we need, is it installed with installer or not, etc

is it possible to have ALL installers in one section?
maybe a subforum topic under Probook JUST for Installers?
maybe we can combine these 3 installers into 1?

would be awesome to install ML
then test out laptop to see what does not work
then have 1 simple installer with options like...
1- fix graphic issues
2- fix USB 3.0
3- fix wifi
4- fix trackpad

we choose 1 or more options and voila !!!

i'm a newbie, gonna install ML soon
i am uncertain which to use
seems there are 3 installers?
i remember an old one i used for 10.7.3 by "tonymac" i believe
then came this Version 4 which looks nice by "tegezee" i believe (very menu driven)
then i see a V.5b2 by "iOSBeast" (which seems a bit more manual process)

and then which .kext is what, for what purpose, which do we need, is it installed with installer or not, etc

is it possible to have ALL installers in one section?
maybe a subforum topic under Probook JUST for Installers?
maybe we can combine these 3 installers into 1?

would be awesome to install ML
then test out laptop to see what does not work
then have 1 simple installer with options like...
1- fix graphic issues
2- fix USB 3.0
3- fix wifi
4- fix trackpad

we choose 1 or more options and voila !!!

If you are doing a clean new install then there are 2 methods in the pro book forum you can try. I will list them below. I won't tell you which one to use. I would suggest reading some posts in both threads and choose the one that looks easiest for you. Ask questions as you go if you need to and post your results. Thanks!

1. http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/62517-guide-4530s-fresh-mountain-lion-install-4.html

- This is the method I came up with to get everything working on my system. It combines some of the probook version 4 installer as well as some specific kexts that add functionality for Mountain Lion.

2. http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...ial-probook-installer-v5b2-video-how-use.html

- This method will require the use of terminal and is and not menu based like the probook version 4 installer. I have not tried this method but looks like people have had some success with this too.

Probook 5b2 needs using terminal, but it is extremely easy and simple. It is even better imho, because you exactly know which kexts it installs. If you don't see what he does on the youtube tutorial, here is textual description of that:

1. Install ML using Unibeast (it is just like Snow Leopard or Lion).

2. When ML is installed, keep USB with installer, when bootloader appears press TAB, with arrows choose your new partition with installed OS X and write -x -v, then press enter.

3. Now open folder Probook_installer_5b2

4. Open folder "DSDTs" and find your model. If there isn't exactly your model, try nearest one, but we can't say it will work 100%. Copy file dsdt.aml from your model and paste it into folder DSDT_Install. (NOT copy folder e. g. "BIOS_revision_F20_intel", copy file INSIDE that folder)

5. Open folder "SSDTs" and choose your CPU, copy file ssdt.aml from your model folder into folder "SSDT_Install" (NOT copy folder e. g. "i3_2310m", copy file INSIDE that folder)

6. Now open folder "DEFs" and choose your smbios (as far as I know if you have got only intel GPU choose 8.1, otherwise choose 8.2 or 8.3, afterall I think each should work correctly), copy file smbios.plist into folder "DEF_install"

7. Now run terminal (spotlight -> terminal) and type:
sudo chmod +x
DRAG AND DROP "installer" file into terminal
Press enter and type your password. You won't see it, but don't worry, just write and confirm with enter.

8. Last step :D Type:
sudo
DRAG AND DROP "installer" file into terminal (yup, again)
press enter. Here you are :) It will do everything for you, at the end it will run chimera installer. Just next, next and next ;)

thanks guys,
is Chimera necessary in both cases? or just the v5b2?

And now tegezee has upgraded his installer to version 5.0b1

is there an installer from tonymac for 10.8?
basically wondering if the one we all used for 10.7.3 has been updated for ML, ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back