4. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Before the 10.11.3 update came out, I noticed that my Probook 4530s started to crash on wake again--a problem that had been solved with updated kexts for the Atheros wifi-bluetooth card. It worked fine. Wifi. BT. And it went to sleep and the pmset hibernatemode 0 business had been attended to, as well. The sleep-wake issue came after I started using the GenericUSB kext again in El Capitan. However, removing this kext or placing it in the Clover/Other folder has not omitted the problem. It persists. Removing the USB3 ExpressCard hasn't changed anything. Nor detaching the external CD-ROM. Nor the Windows 10 installation in the vacated CD-ROM bay. It doesn't seem to be the new GenericUSB kext per se. It works well enough when I use it. But omitting it doesn't get rid of the reboot on wake. So, I'm wondering if the Probook Installer isn't doing the necessary patching--magick--that makes a Probook 4530s pretty much of a solid performer as an OSX hack.

Before the 10.11.3 update came out, I noticed that my Probook 4530s started to crash on wake again--a problem that had been solved with updated kexts for the Atheros wifi-bluetooth card. It worked fine. Wifi. BT. And it went to sleep and the pmset hibernatemode 0 business had been attended to, as well. The sleep-wake issue came after I started using the GenericUSB kext again in El Capitan. However, removing this kext or placing it in the Clover/Other folder has not omitted the problem. It persists. Removing the USB3 ExpressCard hasn't changed anything. Nor detaching the external CD-ROM. Nor the Windows 10 installation in the vacated CD-ROM bay. It doesn't seem to be the new GenericUSB kext per se. It works well enough when I use it. But omitting it doesn't get rid of the reboot on wake. So, I'm wondering if the Probook Installer isn't doing the necessary patching--magick--that makes a Probook 4530s pretty much of a solid performer as an OSX hack.

Compare against a fresh install. Perhaps you installed something that is causing your issue.

I think that would be prudent. I can just install over the current one and it will preserve my User stuff and apps. I mean it should.

I think that would be prudent. I can just install over the current one and it will preserve my User stuff and apps. I mean it should.

No. That would not be a fresh install.

Install to second/erased partition.

Right. Checking my backup disc, which is a standard 5400 rpm hard drive plugged into the CD-ROM compartment, that it doesn't reboot. But it's essentially the same as the SSD that won't sleep and wake properly. I have read about problems with RAM chips causing these wake-reboots in not just hacks, but real macs. I should swap out the SSD with the HDD and see if the backup performs correctly. If so, it might mean my SSD is having a problem.

P.S. I spoke too soon. It just takes much longer for the reboot to occur, 5 mins while booted into the HDD. I wonder if there is a clue there?

Right. Checking my backup disc, which is a standard 5400 rpm hard drive plugged into the CD-ROM compartment, that it doesn't reboot. But it's essentially the same as the SSD that won't sleep and wake properly. I have read about problems with RAM chips causing these wake-reboots in not just hacks, but real macs. I should swap out the SSD with the HDD and see if the backup performs correctly. If so, it might mean my SSD is having a problem.

P.S. I spoke too soon. It just takes much longer for the reboot to occur, 5 mins while booted into the HDD. I wonder if there is a clue there?

You should listen to my advice and do a fresh install.

You should listen to my advice and do a fresh install.

I did and that seems to have fixed it. But you know how laborious it is to reinstall everything. Do you think I can do a selective reinstall from with CarbonCopyCloner via the backup? And if things remain good afterward, stay with that. If not, do the fresh install and rebuild from scratch? I don't think the apps were at fault.

I did and that seems to have fixed it. But you know how laborious it is to reinstall everything. Do you think I can do a selective reinstall from with CarbonCopyCloner via the backup? And if things remain good afterward, stay with that. If not, do the fresh install and rebuild from scratch? I don't think the apps were at fault.

Best to install things you need one at a time and test carefully each time.

Best to install things you need one at a time and test carefully each time.

You were right again, RehabMan. A reinstall fixed the unknown problem and, thus far, I've not had any problem with sleep and wake. I thought it might be the new GenericUSB kext. But it's "working" too thus far. I'll keep an eye on it. Question: What folder is the best place for that kext?

You were right again, RehabMan. A reinstall fixed the unknown problem and, thus far, I've not had any problem with sleep and wake. I thought it might be the new GenericUSB kext. But it's "working" too thus far. I'll keep an eye on it. Question: What folder is the best place for that kext?

For 10.11, kexts should be installed to /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back