Contribute
Register

Probook hard drive caddy problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Envy << need manufacturer name and model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
I just recently built another probook hackintosh. Mavericks 10.9.5 with clover/PBI

I removed the DVD drive and replaced it with a 1 gb hard drive/caddy. The main drive is a toshiba 512gb SSD

On a couple of occasions now, when I am trying to copy files to the hard drive in the caddy, everything has frozen and the drive in the caddy 'ejects' itself with the message hard drive not ejected properly

The only way I can get the drive to reappear is to completely shut down the laptop and then reboot (restart doesn't work)

Has anyone else experienced this problem with a hard drive caddy? Is there a fix?

This is the 3rd probook hackintosh I have built and its the first time I have experienced this problem

I just recently built another probook hackintosh. Mavericks 10.9.5 with clover/PBI

I removed the DVD drive and replaced it with a 1 gb hard drive/caddy. The main drive is a toshiba 512gb SSD

On a couple of occasions now, when I am trying to copy files to the hard drive in the caddy, everything has frozen and the drive in the caddy 'ejects' itself with the message hard drive not ejected properly

The only way I can get the drive to reappear is to completely shut down the laptop and then reboot (restart doesn't work)

Has anyone else experienced this problem with a hard drive caddy? Is there a fix?

This is the 3rd probook hackintosh I have built and its the first time I have experienced this problem

Did you test the caddy in Windows to see if it is a hardware problem?

As for OS X setup, no idea without data...

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Provide output (in Terminal):
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc
kextstat|grep -y applehda

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Attach output of (in Terminal):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

Thanks Rehabman

Here are the files you requested

I have never done this before so I hope I got it right

Attachments

• IO REG.zip
    375.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Terminal Saved Output 1.zip
    889 bytes · Views: 155
  • Terminal Saved Output 2.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 131
  • CLOVER.zip
    2 MB · Views: 132
Thanks Rehabman

Here are the files you requested

I have never done this before so I hope I got it right

You didn't answer my question regarding Windows.

No, I haven't run windows on any of the probooks I have made, always have gone to installing osx

I have a sneaking suspicion that it could be a hardware related problem...is there a way of ascertaining if that hardware is the drive itself or the caddy I wonder...

The problem seems to occur when big files are being copied over the network or from an external usb drive to the drive in the caddy, but 95% of the time it seems OK.

No, I haven't run windows on any of the probooks I have made, always have gone to installing osx

I have a sneaking suspicion that it could be a hardware related problem...is there a way of ascertaining if that hardware is the drive itself or the caddy I wonder...

This question already answered in post #2: Test on Windows.

Will try at some point over the next few days and see if a similar problem occurs with windows

But my original question remains, has anyone else experienced a problem like this when swapping out the DVD for a drive caddy and if so was there a fix for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back