Contribute
Register

Probook 4540s Ivy Bridge howto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again.

I was able to follow your TT fairly easily, but ran into a snag after rebooting after completion. Booting with the "GraphicsEnabler=No UseKernelCache=No -f -v" also hangs at the same spot, right after Nanosecond uptime. I'm not sure how to get back into ML without reinstalling.

I'm assuming this has to do with my
i7-3612QM?
Here is a link my 4540s exact spec.

photo-2.jpg

Hello again.

I was able to follow your TT fairly easily, but ran into a snag after rebooting after completion. Booting with the "GraphicsEnabler=No UseKernelCache=No -f -v" also hangs at the same spot, right after Nanosecond uptime. I'm not sure how to get back into ML without reinstalling.

I'm assuming this has to do with my
i7-3612QM?
Here is a link my 4540s exact spec.

View attachment 44678

Yes, your CPU is Ivy Bridge
It needs MacBookPro10.1 system definition and proper SSDT.aml. I imagine disabling PowerManagement by using NullCPUPower kext will be the best option at this moment.

Fair enough.. I'll figure out how to do that..

I preformed a reinstall of 10.8 on my Laptop. Rebooting after installing only Chimera 1.11.1 via Probook Installer is giving me a sweet little AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement Kernel Panic. I have a feeling this is going to take some time..

Here I thought never touching a Mac before, this was going to be easy..

See the first reply to my op from Rehabman suggesting I take out the line about loading 10.8.2 kext files from the probook installer. I'm just wondering if that's causing the issue here as I've not tried this myself since removing that bit?? My system is Ivy Bridge but I'm on 10.8.0 with those 10.8.2 kexts installed.

Pete

Pps. see jalembics original ideas that I adapted on the 2nd page of the 4540s working files posts.

You know what, on second attempt, it worked perfectly. I guess I typed the flags wrong or something. I now have a quad-boot system, and it works perfectly, apart from the WiFi on Mountain Lion, ofcourse. I'm planning on replacing that later!

Anyhow, thanks a lot Pete and RehabMan, wouldn't have been possible without you guys! :D

You know what, on second attempt, it worked perfectly. I guess I typed the flags wrong or something. I now have a quad-boot system, and it works perfectly, apart from the WiFi on Mountain Lion, ofcourse. I'm planning on replacing that later!

Anyhow, thanks a lot Pete and RehabMan, wouldn't have been possible without you guys! :D

Fantastic news, well done! Can you confirm if you used the 10.8.2 kext files from the probook installer or not to help with the question above?

Really happy it worked for you, Pete

Mad_Sunday & BigDonkey

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I'm not a Mac guy so this is going to take me some time, the learning curves pretty steep. Am I correct on assuming the best course of action would be to find the NullCPUPower kext, copy it to my flash drive, boot into single-user mode and add it to my /S/L/E? This should/possibly get me back to a normal boot where I can work on adding MacBookPro10.1 system definition and correct SSDT.aml? Or are all of these equally important to resolving my kernel panic?

Mad_Sunday & BigDonkey

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I'm not a Mac guy so this is going to take me some time, the learning curves pretty steep. Am I correct on assuming the best course of action would be to find the NullCPUPower kext, copy it to my flash drive, boot into single-user mode and add it to my /S/L/E? This should/possibly get me back to a normal boot where I can work on adding MacBookPro10.1 system definition and correct SSDT.aml? Or are all of these equally important to resolving my kernel panic?

First just try adding the osx 10.8.2 kext files in the probook installer. I was hoping we would get some info from the posts above but I'm just guessing that's a possibility. So when you get to the probook installer bit add three items not two.Trying to reply from my phone is a nightmare but i will be home in a couple of hours.

Pete.

NOTE...............I've changed the Howto instructions to include the extra step until we find out if that's the problem.

Am I correct on assuming the best course of action would be to find the NullCPUPower kext, copy it to my flash drive, boot into single-user mode and add it to my /S/L/E?
Probably, the same effect could be accomplished without using NullCPU kext by typing one command from single mode:

mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /

System definition for MacbookPro10.1 which is the closest to the CPU you have can be generated by Champlist http://tools.inmac.org/
The picture from the first post shows that your system using MacbookPro8.1 and loading power management meant for Sandy Bridge processors. SSDT generated by Pike's script enables IvyBridge PM. Let us know when you get to this step because file needs some tweaks before being useful.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/86906-ssdt-generation-script-ivybridge-pm.html

First just try adding the osx 10.8.2 kext files in the probook installer. I was hoping we would get some info from the posts above but I'm just guessing that's a possibility. So when you get to the probook installer bit add three items not two.Trying to reply from my phone is a nightmare but i will be home in a couple of hours.

Pete.

NOTE...............I've changed the Howto instructions to include the extra step until we find out if that's the problem.

I did as you asked, I performed a new install of 10.8.0 adding the additional 10.8.2 kext in the ProBook installer, but received the same "Inconsistent CPU P-State" kernel panic upon reboot.

BigDonkey said:
Probably, the same effect could be accomplished without using NullCPU kext by typing one command from single mode:

mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /

After unsucessfully booting from the above attempt I booted into Single-User mode and moved the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext as you explained above. The system now boots..

Quick thought. My Atheros AR9485 wireless card is not recognized

BigDonkey said:
System definition for MacbookPro10.1 which is the closest to the CPU you have can be generated by Champlist http://tools.inmac.org/
The picture from the first post shows that your system using MacbookPro8.1 and loading power management meant for Sandy Bridge processors. SSDT generated by Pike's script enables IvyBridge PM. Let us know when you get to this step because file needs some tweaks before being useful.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/86906...bridge-pm.html

I have downloaded the Champlist. The closest option they have for my CPU are:
  • MacbookPro10.1 - Core i7 (3615QM) 2.30Ghz RetinaBook
  • MacBookPro9,1 - Core i7 (3615QM) 2.30Ghz

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back