Contribute
Register

Probook 4530s is a new computer once you add SSD. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 4530s
CPU
Intel Core I3
Graphics
Intel HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I bought an SSD for my Probook 4530s and since then I feel like if I had a new computer. I always heard that the performance would increase drastically if I use an SSD instead of HDD but I never thought it would be so easy to notice the difference.

Now I see that my Probook 4503s 4GB RAM, Core i3 2310M could live more than what I expected 
So apart from thinking about disassemble the laptop completely to remove the dust and add some thermal paste to the CPU (I guess the laptop need it) I was thinking if it should be worth to keep upgrading it?

What do you guys suggest? Increase the ram to 8gb, buy a Core i5 cpu, fullhd screen?
I guess that the none of the pending upgrades will make a change so drastic like the one wI experimented when I upgraded from HDD to SSD. Am I wrong?

Thank you in advance,

Apart from the SSD upgrade, I certainly noticed a difference when increasing ram to 8gb, when extracting large files, or using lots of files in audio projects.

To be honest, its all personal preference, if you want/need a higher resolution, upgrade your screen, if your laptop is still not quite quick enough for what you need / want, upgrade the cpu..

It all depends on what you need your laptop to do, every hardware change for something faster / bigger is going to see a slight performance boost, whether you need it or will benefit from it varies from person to person and what they are doing.

My Probook is being used with OS X and Linux Mint.

With Mavericks my girl use basicslly Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign (and of course Mail and Chrome) I never used those programs so I dont have clue about if those programs really would benefit from an upgrade, but she is happy with the performance of the computer because since I bought the SSD it works better than her MBP 2008 that died few weeks ago.

And I just use it for Linux and the most intensive tasks I do is compile kernels, zip files of 1.5gb or bigger and watch 100 movies. Specially when compiling kernels or zipping big files I can see that the fans start to make more noise than what I would lie, but I don't know if more ram or cpu would fix that or if I just need to clean it properly (disassemble )

Thanks

regardless of cpu, its still going to increase in speed, and noise when completing more demanding tasks like zipping / compiling etc.

If I remember correctly, my 4530s fan was much louder than that of my elite book, your i3 is obviously going to work harder than say an i5, or an i7, and in turn need more cooling, hense the higher fan speeds.

If its simply a case of wanting it quieter, you could look at mods others have done, including the various fan patches included in the pro book installer.

My personal view on ram is simply that in this day and age 4gb is the very lowest anyone should use, 8gb is certainly a fairly cheap upgrade that I would recommend to anyone, as well as the sad that you've already done.

The cpu upgrade is going to cost a bit more, it will improve performance, but have a read about, see if anyone can report any differences on fan noise after upgrading, or whether that have installed a custom fan /modified existing etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back