Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Elite
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently installed macOS 10.12.6 on a new ProBook 450 G4 using RehabMan's "HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch" guide (using CloverUEFI v4184). Everything seems to be working fine except for one anomaly with audio. While audio works, I'm having an issue where no matter what volume level is set, upon reboot it is set to max (nvram emulation seems to be working because screen brightness level is retained on reboot. wake from sleep, or lid opening).

Also upon closing the lid, the last sound selected in Sound Preferences 'Select an Alert Sound' plays continuously until the lid is opened and a keyboard button is pushed. Upon closing again no sound is played, however, upon lid reopening a few minutes later, there is no audio until I touch one of the volume keys (F8/F9) where, again, the volume is then set to max.

Additionally, while the F8/F9 keys work for decreasing/increasing volume, the speaker icon on the menu bar shows no change and when clicked, the slider bar shows max. F8/F9 buttons adjust volume but the slider bar remains at max. Moving the slider bar itself does adjust the volume level, but when F8 or F9 is pressed, volume again goes to max. I have a feeling that it is an issue with the EAPD on the Conexant 8200 audio codec, however I'm not sure what to do to fix it. Problem files are attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-bth

Attachments

• bthall-problem_reporting.zip
    29.8 MB · Views: 55
I recently installed macOS 10.12.6 on a new ProBook 450 G4 using RehabMan's "HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch" guide (using CloverUEFI v4184). Everything seems to be working fine except for one anomaly with audio. While audio works, I'm having an issue where no matter what volume level is set, upon reboot it is set to max (nvram emulation seems to be working because screen brightness level is retained on reboot. wake from sleep, or lid opening).

Also upon closing the lid, the last sound selected in Sound Preferences 'Select an Alert Sound' plays continuously until the lid is opened and a keyboard button is pushed. Upon closing again no sound is played, however, upon lid reopening a few minutes later, there is no audio until I touch one of the volume keys (F8/F9) where, again, the volume is then set to max.

Additionally, while the F8/F9 keys work for decreasing/increasing volume, the speaker icon on the menu bar shows no change and when clicked, the slider bar shows max. F8/F9 buttons adjust volume but the slider bar remains at max. Moving the slider bar itself does adjust the volume level, but when F8 or F9 is pressed, volume again goes to max. I have a feeling that it is an issue with the EAPD on the Conexant 8200 audio codec, however I'm not sure what to do to fix it. Problem files are attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-bth

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Please read it carefully... the result should be much smaller than 30mb.

Attachments

• bthall-problem_reporting.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
My apologies, I dual boot Windows 10 Pro on this machine and the /EFI/Microsoft folder was huge and didn't think to remove it. I also had a huge (15MB) Firmware.scap file in the /EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS folder.

This is why "Problem Reporting" asks for EFI/Clover, not EFI.

This file should be much better. Thanks.

This setup looks fine.
I suspect you forgot to install the "RC scripts" when you installed Clover.

This is why "Problem Reporting" asks for EFI/Clover, not EFI.

This setup looks fine.
I suspect you forgot to install the "RC scripts" when you installed Clover.

I did install the RC scripts with Clover, and to be sure, I reinstalled Clover making sure that the option was selected. Still the same result, though. Thanks for taking a look.

-bth

I did install the RC scripts with Clover, and to be sure, I reinstalled Clover making sure that the option was selected. Still the same result, though. Thanks for taking a look.

-bth

Test your NVRAM to be certain it is working.

Test your NVRAM to be certain it is working.

Hmm. On second thought, maybe the NVRAM is not working correctly. EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is installed in the /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder and the nvram.plist file is being updated (at least according to the date stamp), but the SystemAudioVolume and SystemAudioVolumeDB entries keep changing even though I'm not touching volume controls between reboots. And now, the display is set to max brightness after every reboot even after is was lowereed before reboot (wasn't doing that before).

-bth

Hmm. On second thought, maybe the NVRAM is not working correctly. EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is installed in the /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder and the nvram.plist file is being updated (at least according to the date stamp), but the SystemAudioVolume and SystemAudioVolumeDB entries keep changing even though I'm not touching volume controls between reboots. And now, the display is set to max brightness after every reboot even after is was lowereed before reboot (wasn't doing that before).

-bth

Use the 'nvram' utility in Terminal to test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back