Contribute
Register

Probook 450 G1 Panel Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought my replacement screen and got the 470 G1 Cable (723646-001) but cannot for the life of me get this to work. Screen comes up very dim and inverted colors. The cable is definitely difficult to fit within the bezel or behind the screen, I'm wondering if there's strain on the cable causing my problem.

Any suggestions from those who have successfully done this? Or is it possible I just have a bad cable and/or screen? The place I bought the screen from is reputable and has been very helpful to a point (they're not willing to back something that wasn't the original screen for the laptop), so I'm kind of stuck at the moment.

Did you have any luck with this at all?

So, this is a bit of a thread resurrection, but I was delighted to have stumbled on this information while looking at upgrade options the last few days. Initially I was simply looking at upgrading my Probook 450 G1 screen - an LP156WH3-TLT2 - from 1366x768 to 1920x1080, but realised that I might just be able to upgrade from TN technology to an IPS screen for better viewing angles and improved colour rendition!

After almost a day of searching Ebay/Amazon etc. for an LP156WF4-SLC1 display, I have come to the conclusion that they only exist in China at this point, and I don't fancy waiting for at least two weeks to receive a possibly counterfeit item, or simply being scammed outright!

So, I have just bought a second-hand LP156WF4-SLBA off Ebay, along with the Probook 470 cable kit (HP part 723646-001), to test the theory... It'll be a week or so until I get the parts and can fit them, but hopefully I'll be able to feedback here, for posterity(!) :thumbup:

I have made some observations about the model code, which may be helpful to others, eg. LP156WF4-SLC1 breaks down into:

LP = LG Philips
156 = 15.6" diagonal screen
WF = full HD (1920x1080)
4 = ?
S = IPS (T = TN)
L = 40-pin LVDS (whereas P = 30-pin eDP)
C = mounting lugs top and bottom (B = mounting lugs on the bottom of the screen only) although it may mean more than this!
1 = revision number of that display?

(aaaand that concurs with another source that I just found!)

So I searched for 'LP156WF4-SL??' and found a bunch of potential screens, which I cross-checked for interchangeability with my current display (using panelook.com), then searched Ebay/Amazon for each of them in turn. :rolleyes:

I found one second-hand and thought 'why not?', despite the fact that my current screen has mounting tabs at bottom _and_ top! anyhow, we'll see soon enough if it will all work out :lol:

UPDATE: My screen and LVDS cable are now fitted and make a HUGE difference! :thumbup:

The LVDS (video) cable is rather long, and the place where the webcam cable splits out of it is inconvenient, but with care it is possible to fit it all.

A couple of pics that may help:

View media item 189377This shows the need to route the LVDS cable so that the take-off for the webcam wire (silver) is to the left of the bezel's retaining tab (red arrow) - this means the webcam wiring runs pretty much in a straight diagonal up to its connector above the screen.

View media item 189376All the standard screens with LG Phillips part codes LP156???-??C? (note the 'C') have fixing lugs top and bottom, but I couldn't find a full-HD IPs screen in that series so I went with a 'B' series screen that ony has lower mounting tabs (which are screwed to the metal frame and hinges). So, I had to add some masking tape along the top edges to try to stop it flopping around - however,
this particular screen is such a snug fit (height and width) and although the depth is shallower than the original screen, the bezel holds it quite tightly in place, so this tape may be unnecessary!

EDIT: When I fitted the new Wifi antennae to this laptop I remembered to take photos of:

View media item 1895011. how I folded the wide, flat part of the LVDS cable behind the screen, and

View media item 1895022. how I stowed the excess video cable inside the body of the laptop, by taking the connector end far past the motherboard socket, doubling back underneath the motherboard, and popping up above the motherboard to the left of the video connector so that there was no excess cable bunching up or in danger of being pinched or snagged.

Your biggest issue in doing this upgrade will be finding a cheap FHD and IPS genuine screen - Ebay is full of generic replacements - or originals at £200/$260 or more! - but you might just find one by searching for "LP156WF4 SL B" or "LP156WF4 SL C" (and double-checking the compatibility on panelook.com)...

EDIT: The screen was ~£48/$62 on Ebay (removed from another laptop, but in pristine condition), and the complete ProBook 470 G1 cable kit including the 2-channel LVDS (and webcam) cable was about the same price, brand-new from an HP parts supplier on Ebay.

Good luck!

Last edited:
can the LP156WF4-SLC1 synonymous well the resolution 1600x900 play? So right sharp?

That Full HD IPS panel seems sold out everywhere

I ordered a N156HGE-LB1 from China, it's TN LCD, but 1080p, it should be compatible

Finger crossed for next month when it will arrive...

I confirm the N156HGE-LB1 is a perfect fit

It took ages to arrive but I paid $40 from taobao including the dual link cable from the 470 series

Thanks to AndrewC1 and the pictures of the lvds cable: it was hard to put it back, and it helped me a lot :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of this info!
I have an issue with my HP Probook 470 G3. I've got here HD+ 1600 x 900 B173RTN02.1 with x64lc103 LVDS connector and I bought Full HD IPS 1920 x 1080 B173HAN01.0. Sockets are correct both are AU Optronics branded, but the Full HD one doesn't work! Nothing displays while BIOS boot. It's not recognized from Windows 10 either. No backlight too.

Do you have any idea what can occure this problem? Shall I change something in BIOS settings?
I've tried to switch between the screens a few times. HD+ work, FHD doesn't.

Have I made a mistake or just new screen is broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back