Contribute
Register

Problems with Snow Leopard installation (Sabertooth z77)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Sabertooth Z77
CPU
Intel 3570s
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,

I'm trying to finish the installation of Snow Leopard but I'm facing a problem.
I even finish the installation, the problem is when I try to update. I install the 10.6.8 Combo and before the reboot I install the Multibeast-Snow Leopard 3.10.1, so when I reboot, the computer gets stuck in the "Apple screen" and doesn't open the desktop. And then I need to reboot and begin it all over again.
If I update the BIOS, would it work? I didn't do anything yet because my motherboard is a Sabertooth and it's not so much recommended for OSX. I thought it'd be better ask before doing anything.
I'd like to know too if there's some kind of kext to help me or even if you think the problem might be the boot I'm using... I'm saying it because my computer just begins the installation with iBoot Legacy 2.7.2. I don't know if that could be the problem.
My processor is Intel 3570s.

Thanks for the attention! I'm new in this "Mac world"... lol

@digocrazy, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Hello,

I even finish the installation, the problem is when I try to update. I install the 10.6.8 Combo and before the reboot I install the Multibeast-Snow Leopard 3.10.1, so when I reboot, the computer gets stuck in the "Apple screen" and doesn't open the desktop. And then I need to reboot and begin it all over again.
If I update the BIOS, would it work? I didn't do anything yet because my motherboard is a Sabertooth and it's not so much recommended for OSX. I thought it'd be better ask before doing anything.
I'd like to know too if there's some kind of kext to help me or even if you think the problem might be the boot I'm using... I'm saying it because my computer just begins the installation with iBoot Legacy 2.7.2. I don't know if that could be the problem.

Do you have a reason for wanting to install Snow Leopard? Snow Leopard only has support up to Sandy Bridge hardware (and that only with 10.6.8), and does not support Z77 and your CPU which is Ivy Bridge. You should at least use Mountain Lion.

As stated above you should update your Personal Details, in particular your graphics card, if any.

Hello,

Typically one would only install Snow leopard on ivy bridge hardware only to gain access to the Mac App Store to download later versions that have ivy bridge support in the kernel as Snow Leopard doesn’t support ivy bridge hardware. With that said boot using iboot ivy and install fresh copy then install any kexts need to get working network then install combo update and continue to boot off iboot ivy disk and skip multibeast step and download a version of MacOSX that supports your hardware and install it

Additionally Asus Sabertooth z77 works fine with Mac OSX. I have personally installed on this same board before

Do you have a reason for wanting to install Snow Leopard? Snow Leopard only has support up to Sandy Bridge hardware (and that only with 10.6.8), and does not support Z77 and your CPU which is Ivy Bridge. You should at least use Mountain Lion.

As stated above you should update your Personal Details, in particular your graphics card, if any.
The only reason one would do this is to gain access to Mac App Store by using iboot ivy

Personally, very grateful for the help !!!

As I said before, I'm new to this "hackintosh world, I ended up buying that version some time ago for imagining that it should be like this."
I will not be able to test my video card because apparently it is not good, I need to see better, meanwhile I will do the installation without it. Today I'm going to make another boot disk to start the tests that night, I'm crazy to know if it will work.

Thank you so much, you've helped me a lot.

Hello digocrazy,

I post here for general chat. My 1st attempt two years ago, 100% new to idea of Hackintosh, now having another go but learning more about all the processes.

1st attempt Asus Z97-AR, Haswell i7 4790K, same board on 2nd attempt. Installing with iBoot Haswell (you used Ivy for socket 1155) I'm sure disabling LAN in BIOS helped with the install for plain, vanilla install of OS X 10.6.3 that can be booted with iboot.

Also used the boot flag PCIRootUID=0 from iBoot menu just before installing

I have this installation now and it is safe and works and I'll keep this.

Now I've got lots of updates for 10.6, also have Yosemite backed up externally plus lots of other utilities for Hackintosh'ing.

On 1st attempt I used a USB dongle to get internet access to get to the Mac app store, now I don't think I need to do this. The USB dongle is pay as you go although they do contracts as well but not worth it.

I have a real i Mac from several years ago although it is not currently connected.

I'm going to be very wary of installing anything as on the 1st attempt I did get Yosemite working but the computer became unstable and would just cut out / crash / re-start etc....

Truth is I did not understand enough about the whole process of ALL the Kext files etc.....and what is needed and what is not needed.

So back to the plain vanilla install of OS X 10.6.3, as far as I know it is stable with some of the USB ports working out of the box although further tests will follow.

Also I'll need to see exactly what is installed with the iBoot boot loader, in terms of .kexts etc......

Multi Beast has the installation of Easy Beast which is a collection of kext files (drivers) and I'm not convinced all those are needed, granted I maybe incorrect but I'll find out when I know more.

Back to the install 1st attempt that crashed etc.... this was something to do with the IntelCPUPowerManagement, one thing I've learned is that NullCPUPowerManagement.Kext nullifies AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.Kext and I'm not convinced this is a good thing because of what happened in my 1st attempt.

A good test will be for me to leave the Vanilla Snow installation on for about an hour or so to see if it really is stable without cut outs etc.....

Learning the function / purpose of EVERY kext file is another good move to know what is needed and what isn't as I'm sure I installed things that "broke" my system.

DSDT / SSDT and all the apps like MaciASL / Pacifist / + others to learn a good route to successful operation is very beneficial and also time consuming.

On this attempt I'm taking it more slowly because it is very involving.

There could be some good discussions in the post installation forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back